Kuril Sunrise, 2018: Japan Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

HalfLifeExpert

Kuril Sunrise, 2018: Japan Side

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

I've just completed this new Command: LIVE scenario as Japan, after two play sessions.

For starters, I launched a few 4 plane patrols of F-15Js to try and cause some losses to Russian air power in the area. My thinking is to try and make the airspace as safe as I can for my F-4s to eventually make a missile attack on the convoy once I find it.

While the air battles in these first few hours do cost me 9 fighters, I cause considerable losses to Russian aircraft based out of the Kurils and from Sakhalin. It seemed that only two MiG-29s survive to fly northward. After these battles are over, I do not witness any further launches from ether airbase in the southern part of the operations area.

After my aircraft from the first clashes return to Chitose AB, I start sending my submarines on slow courses northward in the hopes of possibly intercepting the convoy, but fully aware of the serious danger posed by Russian submarines.

Once those orders are issued, I send my AEW aircraft a little more over the water to extend it's coverage. I detect several aircraft over the Sea of Okhotsk, and repeatedly send pairs of F-15s to engage them, ultimately resulting in the destruction of twenty Mig-31s as well as the two remaining MiG-29s and three IL-78 tankers, for no F-15J losses, though I did get careless at one point and the last two Foxhounds were able to blast one of my AEW aircraft. It was when this died down that I stopped my first play session for the evening and saved the game.

Upon resuming today, I was able to find the convoy with one of my submarines, the Makisho. I fire off four Harpoons at it from one of the subs a little farther back, the Hakoryu, but those fail to find a target and my sub is engaged and sunk by a Russian submarine. However, I decide to launch my airstrike with F-4s, but I misjudged the range and my aircraft had to turn back before firing their weapons.

As I try to get more submarines in range to attack, a couple interesting things happen.

The surface search radar of my AEW detects a lone surface contact, and identify it as a Russian frigate. I decide to order two of my submarines from the southern group, the Soryu and the Setoshio, to fire all their Harpoons at it. I succeed in scoring hits, leaving the frigate dead in the water, where it eventually sinks.

Also, another submarine, the Mochishio, detects a Russian Oscar II class SSGN south of the convoy and is engaged with two torpedoes. The Mochishio evades them and returns fire, sinking the SSGN. In short order, two more Russian subs are detected. An Akula some distance to the north, and the Severodvinsk from the same area the Oscar II was. As the Severodivinsk is a bit too close for comfort, I decide to try and sink it, but accepting that I may lose this sub. To my amazement and joy, the newest Russian submarine is sent to the bottom with two torpedoes fired a maximum range.

Unfortunately, this submarine was denied further glory because the convoy slipped past it, and it could not be caught, despite an attempt at a long range torpedo attack. Now, the next submarine in position to engage is the Unryu.

While slowly moving to an attack position, the convoy is partially divided from the evasive maneuvers caused by my failed torpedo attack earlier. The first four ships to get in range of the Unryu are two ferries and two Grishas. I order one torpedo fired at each, and they are all sunk. Then the Unryu moves into position to get in range of the rest of the convoy. Several torpedoes and Harpoons are fired in a few separate attacks, and the remaining eight ferries are sunk, with one of the Grishas being heavily damaged.

This final engagement ends the scenario, giving me a score of 1000 and a result of 'Triumph' BANZAI!!!!

No doubt the submarines Unryu and Mochishio, and the two F-15J squadrons, will be well decorated for their service in this battle.

Here are the Losses and Expenditures:

SIDE: Russia
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
10x MiG-29SMT Fulcrum C
4x Su-33 Flanker D
10x Su-27SM/SM3 Flanker B
20x MiG-31BM Foxhound
3x Il-78M Midas
1x Ka-27PL Helix A
3x Tu-142A Bear F Mod 1
1x PLARK-949A Oscar II [Antey]
1x PLA-885 Severodvinsk [Yasen]
1x MPK Steregushchy [Pr.2038.0]
2x MPK Grisha V [Pr.1124ME Albatros]
10x Commercial Ferry [1,900t DWT]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
582x RGB-1 [NATO BM-1, Search, Passive Omni]
40x RGB-2 [NATO BM-2, Track, Passive Bearing-Only]
18x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
21x AA-12 Adder B [R-77-1, RVV-SD]
24x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
2x AA-10 Alamo A [R-27R, MR SARH]
2x AA-10 Alamo C [R-27ER, LR SARH]
1x AA-11 Archer [R-73M]
1x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
27x RGB-NM-1 [Passive Omni]
2x AA-9 Amos [R-33S, SARH]
5x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
1x SS-N-16 Stallion [RPK-7 Vodopei, UMGT-1 Torpedo]
2x AT-2M
1x AA-11 Archer [R-73]
1x SS-N-15 Starfish [RPK-6 Vodopad, UMGT-1 Torpedo]
2x Generic Acoustic Decoy
10x SA-N-11b Grisom [9M311K-1]
5x 30mm Twin Gatling Gsh-6-30KD [375 rnds]
27x 100mm/59 A-190 Frag
4x Generic Acoustic Decoy
5x AK-630M 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
16x PK-10 Chaff [SR-50]

SIDE: Japan

LOSSES:
9x F-15J Eagle J-MSIP
1x SS 501 Soryu
1x E-767 Sentinel

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
95x AAM-4B Kai [Type 99]
14x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
1x AAM-5 [Type 04]
1x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
2x Generic Acoustic Decoy
16x UGM-84D Harpoon IC
21x Type 89 [G-12]

SIDE: Russian Satellites

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Neutral

LOSSES:
1x Biologic Fish School

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Russian Defensive Batteries

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

Bashkire

RE: Kuril Sunrise, 2018: Japan Side

Post by Bashkire »

Yes, you gave the Russians a bloody nose, but Mother Nature is the real looser here...

SIDE: Neutral

LOSSES:
1x Biologic Fish School
Cik

Post by Cik »

DIALING GREENPEACE

THIS WILL NOT FLY SIR!!
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Those fish were blasted by Russian forces, I was careful and did not engage any sub surface contacts not explicitly identified as submarines.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

You can kill fish?

Wow. That's realism.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

Return to “After Action Report”