Tips on attacking

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

AstroBlues

Tips on attacking

Post by AstroBlues »

In my game where I am the Axis, Germany attacked France and Benelux and ran into a buzz saw. I saw my panzer units just get torn to pieces by the heavy armor of France. The French player has built the maginot line all the way to the coast and it is hard getting past that. What I am looking for is for some the German players to give me tips on attacking. What are the make up of your infantry units? Also, I have been consolidating my infantry units to make them stronger and then disbanding the unsed ones. How do you take France? I cannot get even on hex in there. At a loss.
ArmouredLion

RE: Tips on attacking

Post by ArmouredLion »

Okay, I'll give my 2 cents:

Mobile arty is key. I like arty 2 with half-tracks: 10 arty and 2 halftracks, or 12 arty 2 with 5 med trucks or 2 heavy and 1 med. Add in some heavy arty 2, 7 and they come with their own transports.

If I have the PP and time I like a defensive infantry of 70 infan. 10 mgs and 5 infan guns and a heavy flak with halftrack. This will move the HF and protect some soldiers. I like this defensive unit in a mobile format with 60 infan, 10 mg, 3 HF and 5 infantry gun 11 with halftracks, Heavy trucks... med if I'm forced. These occupy gained territory and the mobils cover gains by my mechs.

My panzer units depend on what I have and time period. I like them 50 stack points 75 and 100. I love sticking Heavy Flak in them. They are excellent against French tanks in attack and defense and build exp and will serve you well in the East. But infantry is key. Remember terrain and the best tools for the job.

I like Sturm divisions with SMG and infantry guns... no greater than 60 or so... you want to surround cities. Infa guns gets 50% bonus on forts and urban... smgs get bonus too. I like my sturm divsions mobile. I like infantry with motars... motars 3 are nice. I use 50- 80 infan with 10-12 motars.

Last, I like heavy flak units on halftracks. These are great low in stack points highly mobile and have a heavy punch in attack and support for defense. 3-5 are what I use.

Attacks: soften up with arty and air attacks. attack where they are weak unless you must attack. Don't attack from 1 side unless you absolutely must. Go through Belgium to crack france open. Love your bombers and arty protect them and use them.

This is sloppy and in now way gospel... hope it helps.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Ohhh... I learned the hard way in my current game... don't attack on low AP. They leave the battle early and leave higher AP units alone against the enemy... this will cause casualties to rise. Sometimes you just need to stop attacking or rest units before you attack. Also, with Panzer units make sure there are plenty of human shields... it's nice to throw green units in with Panzer untis in half-tracks they suck up damage and gain exp fat... pull them out into vet units and throw more greens in. I find that you must be refitting units on a continual basis... some go to the front and then go to the rear for refitting.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: AstroBlues
In my game where I am the Axis, Germany attacked France and Benelux and ran into a buzz saw. I saw my panzer units just get torn to pieces by the heavy armor of France. The French player has built the maginot line all the way to the coast and it is hard getting past that. What I am looking for is for some the German players to give me tips on attacking. What are the make up of your infantry units? Also, I have been consolidating my infantry units to make them stronger and then disbanding the unsed ones. How do you take France? I cannot get even on hex in there. At a loss.

Sounds to me like you waited too long before starting the war. Once France figures out how to solve it's messy economy and starts churning out heavy tanks, you are very much in trouble. The key is to attack before that happens. That also means that the war has to start before it historically did. In real life, the Char B1-bis (the french heavy tank) was defeated mainly cause there were too few, and they were employed wrong (and not built in great numbers). Neither of these can be simulated in the game, without hamstringing the French player.

See this AAR from an earlier GD1938v3 build, that pretty much experienced the same problem.

tm.asp?m=4437744

As for attacking in general: use all the advantages you can get. Bomb and bombard the hex. Position your forces on as many hexsides as possible. Use the officer cards to make them attack better, and finally dont use more than 2 times the stack limit for the attack. This will give you the most optimal results.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

the general mix the game uses is fine, either 30 Rifle or 24 rifle and 6 smg with 3 GPMG and 2 Mortor, 2 Inf Gun, 2 AT Tank, 2 flak and mobilizer You can replace the smg with 3 HMG.
As for Armor I use 5 armored car. 5 tankette, 5 light tank, 5 tanks and an spaa. If Like germany I have 2 armored car I use both.
Favoritism is alive and well here.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”