Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More on Supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> More on Supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More on Supply - 10/3/2018 12:06:23 PM   
Rasputitsa

Just started a new scenario - 'ULM 1805, with CHARLEs in command'

First turn, decide that the 500 supply points at DONAUWORTH is very exposed and send to LINZ.

In the next turn, see how much progress a big supply convoy has made out of DONAUWORTH, reaching to beyond INGOLSTADT, compared to a lone cavalry unit set to 'quick march' out of MUNICH.

Orders delay to DONAUWORTH should mean that the supply cannot move first and anyway should not have been able to make so much progress.

However, the supply convoy is now 494 points, with 6 points lost in wastage, so there is still some realism in the process. There just needs to be some more realism in the way that supply moves and passes by enemy units sometimes apparently unharmed.

After just two turns the supply has moved 18 hexes, whilst the cavalry managed 5, on quick march, but continues to suffer wastage, now at 483 points.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 10/3/2018 1:53:47 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Post #: 1
RE: More on Supply - 10/4/2018 5:53:59 PM   
Rasputitsa

Another aspect of supply is that the player can send very large convoys of supply, of many 100's of supply points, which is not credible, as that would need the instant availability of 100's of wagons. I have set up convoys of over 1000 points and there may be an upper limit because the game did not respond to player orders for convoys at 2000 points, but it's still too high.

In one example a convoy of over 1000 supply points, which I set up, moved from BUDWEIS to WIMPERK and unloaded into the LOC, all within one turn.

To avoid this feature I have been using 'house rules' to get a more realistic effect.

Included is a house rule on the handling, by the player, of captured enemy supply, which can also result in large convoys being created under the existing game system.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
House Rules text:

Enemy supply can be captured during the game and it is possible for the player to direct supply from a captured depot to the LOC. There would not be the wagon capacity to move large quantities of supply from enemy territory, therefore it would have to be used in situ, or destroyed.

House Rule : Captured supply cannot be sent to the LOC by the player, the computer supply control system may do this, but the player must either, set a corps commander to use the supply from the captured depot, or burn the supply.

The supply system, even when set to computer control, allows the player to send unrealistically large amounts of supply to the LOC, or to other towns. This is compounded by the unrealistically fast movement of these large supply convoys.

House Rule : The player may form supply convoys of no more than 100 supply points.

Note : the computer controlled supply system rarely sends out supply convoys with more than 100 supply points.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Here is the game's display of the computer controlled supply during a game, which lists active convoys, and most of the convoys are below 100 supply points, so the computer and an AI opponent are acting reasonably, it is the human player who is able to act unrealistically and 'house rules' can modify that effect.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 10/4/2018 6:06:06 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> More on Supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI