How do I start?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kris279

How do I start?

Post by kris279 »

Hello together, as a HOI/Decisive campaigns player, HOW do I start to "tacle" this monster of a game?

Any advice from seasoned players?Thank you!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte
Lecivius

RE: How do I start?

Post by Lecivius »

Start on a small scenario first. Coral Sea is a good one. And be patient, this game is HUGE compared to HOI [;)] And ask questions. This forum is great to new players trying to get the hang of it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Welcome to the forum. You want to start with the Coral Sea scenario. It has the fewest units and is just ships and aircraft on the allied side....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
kris279

Post by kris279 »

Wow, that was fast! Thank you very much gentlemen.

Will follow the advice and start with coral sea....
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Start by playing smaller scenarios against the AI.

The good news is this: If you're familiar with WWII Pacific Theater history, you start with a working knowledge of the strategic situation, OOB, and force capability. For instance, if you play the Guadalcanal scenario, you know the Japanese are typically the aggressors, that the two sides don't have certain aircraft carriers available, and that the Wildcat can hold its own against the Zero if the pilots are of good quality.

The second good news is this: This game is so immense that you'll be learning things about it years and even decades from now. I am, anyhow. It hasn't grown stale after all these years.

The bad news is this: The game is immense and sometimes a bit wonky, has elements that work counterintuitively (the Japanese air force can be the equal of the Allied air force in 1944 or later, for example) or requiring knowledge or applications you might not particularly enjoy (such as the click-fest of pilot training).

Truly, you can begin playing this game immediately. You may be a prodigy that masters it in weeks or months. More likely it will take a year or longer to really have a handle on everything. And there will always be the challenge of those expert players with years more experience than you have.

And read the AARs and the Forum, where you'll pick up hundreds and then thousands of little things important to game play.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: kris279

Wow, that was fast! Thank you very much gentlemen.

Will follow the advice and start with coral sea....

We don't fool around here. [;)]....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

What Canoerebel said!!!!
More likely it will take a year or longer to really have a handle on everything.

Pfft!!! Longer, much longer. Well for me anyway. Then again I'm one of those 'special' people. Ya, know... Better not say more, before I get in trouble.[:D]

Seriously though, its a great game if you're willing to commit. Let me see if I can put it in perspective. You ever have a significant other in your life that says you don't commit? Like that only to the n'th degree.[:'(]

Play, restart, read, ask question. RTFM, and such...[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

smaller scenarios are usually hard.
I would just play the smallest scenarios a couple times to get a handle on the most basic aspects like TF management, setting air missions and land combat; Coral Sea for example, Aleutians is another good starting point.

I would then jump to a Japanese player grand campaign, but the key is to focus on one topic at a time and just for a few months. You can ignore all the economy and still be OK for 5 to 6 months, and you have all the advantage in these early months, overall you start with overwhelming superiority; you have the numbers and your troops will be very experienced fighting against 3rd rate enemies, moreover, Japan starts with several amphibious TFs already created/ on transit, you can let them go and see how the invasion turns out, focus on Malaya or Philippines, ignore the rest. Just play, make mistakes, restart once you are ready for the next lesson
Oldguard1970

Post by Oldguard1970 »

1. Unlike other games, you will never "master" WITP-AE. There is always more to learn! This frustrates some people, but it is what keeps the game alive for me.

2. The joy of the game is in the playing, not in winning the whole game. (Heck... the campaign game lasts so long I imagine few have really reached the end.) Each turn gives me a chance to add a bit more or a bit less to my sense that I am improving my situation.

3. The game will surprise you. (Why didn't that squadron do what I wanted it to do?) (How come some of my units did A instead of B?) I treat those situations as examples of real-world behavior of subordinates who did not understand or as examples of Murphy happily lousing things up. (Of course, I also check the forum to try to learn what I can do to improve my ability to control or to influence performance.)

As you can tell from the forum, this game is captivating. Have fun and welcome!
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

You will never know everything about this game..You will learn really nice new things about this game every time you play it, either while "in- game", or from your new friends here in this forum.

I "started" this game maybe 10 times and never got more than a week into the first campaign I ever played, because every time I "started", I learned of all these great new things which I knew would help me as soon as I applied them in my "next" new start.[:D]

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
I would then jump to a Japanese player grand campaign

Wow, talk about jumping into the deep end [:D]

Attachments
morning.jpg
morning.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 174 times
kris279

Post by kris279 »

Thank you again guys. I never expected to receive so much feedback on one of this usual questions someone new would ask. Very active and more importantly, friendly, community.

Understood. And actually already anticipated. Start, try, do your first big mistake, check it out, have a look into the manual(is the printed version any good, still did not receive the hardcopy?), check forums, try again, rinse, repeat. I actually did that already a lot in my HOI games(2 mainly, sometimes 3, never could convince myself to actually start 4) and never reach "the end".

As this one here is a much, much , much bigger scale(even that HOI is trying to simulate a world conflict but at the end it is much smaller)I expect it will take me a while and then into retirement(^^) to be close to "master" it.
Still wonder about the genius that actually managed to program all this what we(at least me) try to understand.

I will follow your advice and see how far it brings me. But I assume micromanagement will be the final key(which is not really realistic but fine by me). Glad I decide to get this gem.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

And ask questions. As you have found out, there is a lot of enthusiasm for this game [8D]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

For the record, I started immediately with a full campaign.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

As did I. You can learn the game either way.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Oldguard1970

2. The joy of the game is in the playing, not in winning the whole game. (Heck... the campaign game lasts so long I imagine few have really reached the end.) Each turn gives me a chance to add a bit more or a bit less to my sense that I am improving my situation.

As you can tell from the forum, this game is captivating. Have fun and welcome!

Gereat point.

I started with this game engine in Uncommon Valor, progressed to WITP and then took up AE when it was released in '09.

I have played well over 20 games into late 42. I am currently playing the first game I ever made it to 44 in and am now in April of '45.

This one will go the distance and I will play it through to somehwere in '46 when it ends. Have no idea what end date is but can gues by when reinforcements run out.

It has taken me nine years to get a game played through to completion and I have never been bored with it.

Every now and then I stsrt a sencario in different game and after a few days I abandon it and come back to playing this.

Once you're hooked no other game will satisfy.

Welocme aboard.
Hans

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Yeah, me too. But I have a working knowledge of the PTO. That helped a lot....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: btd64

Yeah, me too. But I have a working knowledge of the PTO. That helped a lot....GP

Same here as well, but I had been playing UV and WITP prior to moving to this.

I've never played the smaller scenarios and would likely find the Coral Sea scenario lacking after having played Uncommon Valor.
Hans

kris279

Post by kris279 »

Was actually thinking about it......[:D]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: kris279

Was actually thinking about it......[:D]

If you are comfortable with the history of this time period, that may not be a bad idea. do bear in mind the first turn will be a bear [;)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”