Heavy artillery effect on entrenchment

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
gwgardner

Heavy artillery effect on entrenchment

Post by gwgardner »

In playing the 'great war' scenario, after repeated tests I have found that the German heavy artillery attacking the Liege fortress has no effect on the entrechment value of the fort. It is always 100%, even though the Liege defenders do take some losses.

This is a scenario made in the early 2000s - is there perhaps some change that needs to be made for TOAW4 in the TOE of these heavy artillery units?

Attachments
Clipboard.jpg
Clipboard.jpg (289.04 KiB) Viewed 614 times

gwgardner

RE: Heavy artillery effect on entrenchment

Post by gwgardner »

Here are the details on the Heavy Artillery units:

Attachments
Clipboard.jpg
Clipboard.jpg (92.7 KiB) Viewed 614 times

Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Is that supposed to happen? The manual is not clear here. Artillery has an effect on the entrenchment of the units, but not sure if affects the hex entrenchment rate as well.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

Is that supposed to happen? The manual is not clear here. Artillery has an effect on the entrenchment of the units, but not sure if affects the hex entrenchment rate as well.

12.4. Fortification
(Advanced Rules)
Once created, Field Fortifications
are permanent. As the Entrenchment Level of
a location increases, units in the location will
find it easier to enter Entrenched or Fortified
Deployments. When a location changes hands,
the Entrenchment Level is automatically reduced
by 25%. Once ordered to dig in, units will continue
to dig until their location is Fortified or you give
them other orders.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I misinterpreted this statement in the thread 'the operational art of bombardment'

sPzAbt653
... 150mm or larger guns have better effect against entrenchment.

I thought that meant the entrenchment could be destroyed, rather than just the units in the entrenchment.

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I misinterpreted this statement in the thread 'the operational art of bombardment'

sPzAbt653
... 150mm or larger guns have better effect against entrenchment.

I thought that meant the entrenchment could be destroyed, rather than just the units in the entrenchment.
You can use one of my sandbox tutorials that deals with entrenching and artillery.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

It is vague or rather not specific:

19.2.2. artIllery vs. entrenchments
Artillery can lower the effectiveness of prepared defensive positions during combat. The effect is intended to model the earth-churning tendencies of heavy Artillery and is tied to the weight of individual shells. Heavier pieces are much more effective than lighter pieces. MRL’s (Multiple Rocket Launchers) generally do not receive this advantage. While the Anti-Personnel strengths of heavy Artillery may seem weak (due to very low rates of fire), weapons of 150mm or larger can be very effective against entrenched enemies.

Maybe we can make it clearer, but I'm not sure why it is vague in the first place. My understanding is that Bombardments may knock a defender out of D, E or F, but Bombardments won't reduce entrenchment. Maybe I am wrong.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

It is vague or rather not specific:

Artillery can lower the effectiveness of prepared defensive positions during combat. The effect is intended to model the earth-churning tendencies of heavy Artillery and is tied to the weight of individual shells. Heavier pieces are much more effective than lighter pieces. MRL’s (Multiple Rocket Launchers) generally do not receive this advantage. While the Anti-Personnel strengths of heavy Artillery may seem weak (due to very low rates of fire), weapons of 150mm or larger can be very effective against entrenched enemies.

Maybe we can make it clearer, but I'm not sure why it is vague in the first place. My understanding is that Bombardments may knock a defender out of D, E or F, but Bombardments won't reduce entrenchment. Maybe I am wrong.

I think you've stated it perfectly IMHO. Why the heavy stuff doesn't reduce the field works is a head scratcher.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok, how is this:

Artillery can lower the effectiveness of prepared defensive positions during combat. The effect is intended to model the earth-churning tendencies of heavy Artillery and is tied to the weight of individual shells. Heavier pieces are much more
effective than lighter pieces. MRL’s (Multiple Rocket Launchers) generally do not receive this advantage. While the Anti-Personnel strengths of heavy Artillery may seem weak (due to very low rates of fire), weapons of 150mm or larger can be very effective against entrenched enemies. ADD: Bombardments won't reduce entrenchment, but Bombardments may knock a defender out of Defend, Entrenched or Fortified status.
kutaycosar

Re: Heavy artillery effect on entrenchment

Post by kutaycosar »

Another fundamental feature we don't have in TOAW.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”