Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rommel dismissed at turn 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Rommel dismissed at turn 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/12/2018 7:39:22 PM   
MrBlizzard

Hi, playing Torch to Tunisia,
At turn 2 Erwin Rommel as been dismissed as commander of Afrika German Italian Panzer Army.
Replaced by inept general Robotti
I can't believe it... I'm very disappointed
Who will fight at Kasserine? Robotti?
Rommel has only a grade 2 for political, that's why he has been dismissed so quickly.
in 1942 he shouldn't have this low grade, he was a favorite of Hitler until the involvement in bombing in 1944.

I will never be able to replace Robotti, he has 43 of dismissal cost and I get just 2 political points a turn in this scenery...

Please fix this
thanks

Attachment (1)

Blizzard
Post #: 1
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/12/2018 10:14:03 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrBlizzard

Hi, playing Torch to Tunisia,
At turn 2 Erwin Rommel as been dismissed as commander of Afrika German Italian Panzer Army.
Replaced by inept general Robotti
I can't believe it... I'm very disappointed
Who will fight at Kasserine? Robotti?
Rommel has only a grade 2 for political, that's why he has been dismissed so quickly.
in 1942 he shouldn't have this low grade, he was a favorite of Hitler until the involvement in bombing in 1944.

I will never be able to replace Robotti, he has 43 of dismissal cost and I get just 2 political points a turn in this scenery...

Please fix this
thanks

Bad luck I guess.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 2
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/13/2018 12:56:56 PM   
szmike

it is an old bug and it was fixed quite some time ago, but then I didn't play the game the last year or so. Maybe it reappeared?

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 3
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/13/2018 4:49:13 PM   
MrBlizzard

Yes thanks, I found your old thread with the same problem for the "Rommel attacks" scenario:
Rommel attacks

I noticed Joel Billings asked: "why is not happening the same in Torch scenario?" Here you are!
Reading the discussion I suspect the problem was not resolved.

The problem IMHO is the very low political value Rommel is starting with, it's just "3".
So there should be an (high) random possibility for him to be fired. But it is random, so not always happens.

In my game I had 4 defeats with Rommel so probably political value decreased to "2" and it was even more probable for him to be dismissed.

Now I need 43 political points to change Robotti... I'm stuck with him forever...

PS: At least Robotti is a better administrator than Rommel

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MrBlizzard -- 9/13/2018 4:53:19 PM >

Blizzard

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 4
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/13/2018 10:01:11 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

Yes thanks, I found your old thread with the same problem for the "Rommel attacks" scenario:
Rommel attacks

I noticed Joel Billings asked: "why is not happening the same in Torch scenario?" Here you are!

The problem IMHO is the very low political value Rommel is starting with, it's just "3".
So there should be an (high) random possibility for him to be fired. But it is random, so not always happens.

In my game I had 4 defeats with Rommel so probably political value decreased to "2" and it was even more probable for him to be dismissed.

Now I need 43 political points to change Robotti... I'm stuck with him forever...

You could rationalise this by thinking Hitler might well have fired him given his historical rapid retreat from Egypt to Tunisia. Hitler wasn't happy about his general's yielding a yard let alone hundreds of miles.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 5
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/14/2018 6:04:48 AM   
Sardaukar

Just on the amusing side...with those that Robotti could as well be a robot...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 6
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/14/2018 8:29:52 AM   
MrBlizzard

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

quote:

Rommel attacks

You could rationalise this by thinking Hitler might well have fired him given his historical rapid retreat from Egypt to Tunisia. Hitler wasn't happy about his general's yielding a yard let alone hundreds of miles.

Yeah sure except for 2 issues:
- we're just at turn 2, Rommel is still in Lybia far away from Tunisia! Historically he leaded at Kasserine in 1943.
- Hitler would never never dismiss Rommel just to put in charge... an Italian burocrat general. He would have put a good german general.

And here is the second problem, the "german-italian panzer HQ" has italian nationality (yellow) so the substitute is taken from italian general pool instead than from german.

Blizzard

Post #: 7
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/14/2018 9:25:28 AM   
Searry

Rommel is bad as an army level General anyway and this is reflected on his stats. If you check the tank corp commander formula you can see Rommel is quite good in commanding a corps.
I personally think he should have never been more than a corps commander. He was too hands on.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 8
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/15/2018 12:33:00 AM   
Denniss

Robotti should not even be there as he was in Yugoslavia since 1941 which is off-limits in WitW

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 9
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/15/2018 12:09:42 PM   
xhoel

To add to the things everyone else said, the Germans would never allow an Italian General to command their forces. And Rommels rating seems pretty low to me. He was on Hitlers good side till the plot.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 10
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/15/2018 4:46:30 PM   
MrBlizzard

I found this:
"While Rommel was at Kasserine at the end of January 1943, the Italian General Giovanni Messe was appointed commander of Panzer Army Africa, renamed the Italo-German Panzer Army in recognition of the fact that it consisted of one German and three Italian corps. Though Messe replaced Rommel, he diplomatically deferred to him, and the two coexisted in what was theoretically the same command. On 23 February Armeegruppe Afrika was created with Rommel in command. It included the Italo-German Panzer Army under Messe (renamed 1st Italian Army) and the German 5th Panzer Army in the north of Tunisia under General Hans-Jürgen von Arnim."

So Rommel promoted to army group Afrika HQ and substituted by italian general Messe in italian-german panzer army

< Message edited by MrBlizzard -- 9/15/2018 4:48:11 PM >

Blizzard

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 11
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/15/2018 6:02:23 PM   
xhoel

Was that appointment done for political reasons? I wasn't aware of it and as far as I know the Germans did not see the Italian leadership very favourly.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 12
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/15/2018 6:35:34 PM   
MrBlizzard

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

Was that appointment done for political reasons? I wasn't aware of it and as far as I know the Germans did not see the Italian leadership very favourly.

I think so, appointment done for political reasons, I wasn't aware too
Anyway Rommel was promoted, not dismissed and had the control of the entire group army.

< Message edited by MrBlizzard -- 9/16/2018 11:40:37 AM >

Blizzard

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 13
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/18/2018 9:12:21 AM   
LiquidSky

Alfred Guzzoni of the Italian 6th Army was in control of all Axis forces in Sicily when the allies landed...so apparently Hitler would allow Italians to command Germans.

Hube did take over later when he showed up with his Panzer Corp HQ.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 14
RE: Rommel dismissed at turn 2 - 9/18/2018 12:03:13 PM   
xhoel

Yes and no. GL Von Senger und Etterling was the one who issued orders to the German troops under the command of the 6th Italian Army. He was the German liason officer in the 6th Army HQ but took his orders directly from Kesserling. Guzzoni delegated the command of sectors where the German units were concentrated to Hube on the 16th of July.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Rommel dismissed at turn 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI