Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Florence

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Florence Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 5:28:38 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Here's the data from a couple of days ago.

warspite1

There is something distinctly unsettling about this picture... but I can't put my finger on it....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 31
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 1:56:41 PM   
AcePylut

I trace my ancestry to Florence, Italy. My great grandmother’s name was “Esperanzo Ferrari” from Florence Italy (Can’t get any more Italian than that! ) She came through Ellis Island when she was 15 years old. Turns out, my great grandfather was on the same boat coming over (so that’s how they met). Her cousins were the Ferrari’s that went on to make the Ferrari car company – but as soon as they got wealthy they disowned everyone else in the family, so I’ll never ever own a Ferrari. Not that I could afford one, but it’s the principal of it.

Small worldisms:
My great grandmother got busted bootlegging for Al Capone in the ‘20’s. She showed up for court with 5 kids in tow. The judge looked at her, and threw the case out. 3 generations later (about 4 years ago), and my wife and I go into court to have custody of my stepdaughter changed in our favor. The judge presiding over the case happened to be the grandson of the judge that threw out my great grandmothers bootlegging charge.

Godfatherism: Because you can’t get Italian without some sort of badda-bingism. So at the court case for my wife’s custody hearing for her daughter…. I was going to have my dad come sit in the courtroom. I was also going to have my wife’s dad sit in the courtroom. My dad (a doctor) took care of the judge’s wife. My father-in-law was a state trooper who’d been in the courtroom many times with the judge. They were going to pull one of those “just sit there, and let the judge connect the dots of who they were and what their names were, with me and my wife’s name”.

Anyhow. I digress. Funny little storys that will get lost if they aren’t told.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 9/13/2018 1:57:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 2:46:55 PM   
Rising-Sun

I am only concern if that storm manage to damage the nuclear reactor plants in that path. Hope it doesn't, otherwise would have a serious problem on the Eastern Coast.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 33
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 3:21:30 PM   
Lecivius

The nuke is not aconcern, it is down to standby already.

If anybody needs a roost during this, let me know. Denver is quite a drive, but there is no rent

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 34
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 4:12:05 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I trace my ancestry to Florence, Italy. My great grandmother’s name was “Esperanzo Ferrari” from Florence Italy (Can’t get any more Italian than that! ) She came through Ellis Island when she was 15 years old. Turns out, my great grandfather was on the same boat coming over (so that’s how they met). Her cousins were the Ferrari’s that went on to make the Ferrari car company – but as soon as they got wealthy they disowned everyone else in the family, so I’ll never ever own a Ferrari. Not that I could afford one, but it’s the principal of it.

Small worldisms:
My great grandmother got busted bootlegging for Al Capone in the ‘20’s. She showed up for court with 5 kids in tow. The judge looked at her, and threw the case out. 3 generations later (about 4 years ago), and my wife and I go into court to have custody of my stepdaughter changed in our favor. The judge presiding over the case happened to be the grandson of the judge that threw out my great grandmothers bootlegging charge.

Godfatherism: Because you can’t get Italian without some sort of badda-bingism. So at the court case for my wife’s custody hearing for her daughter…. I was going to have my dad come sit in the courtroom. I was also going to have my wife’s dad sit in the courtroom. My dad (a doctor) took care of the judge’s wife. My father-in-law was a state trooper who’d been in the courtroom many times with the judge. They were going to pull one of those “just sit there, and let the judge connect the dots of who they were and what their names were, with me and my wife’s name”.

Anyhow. I digress. Funny little storys that will get lost if they aren’t told.

No Florence connection, but an Italian one - building on your notion of the connections that make it a small world:

In the house across the street from me lived a widow who was a published author. The book she wrote detailed her brother's escape from captivity in Italy in WWII. (He was a Canadian pilot flying a Beaufort in the Mediterranean and shot down while attacking an Italian convoy.) In her research of his story she sent for some documentary information from Italy, but when it came it was entirely in Italian. The only place she could think of to find someone who could translate was a nearby Pizza Restaurant.

So she barged in and said "I need an Italian!". After some laughs with the customers and staff about her double-entendre, the owner came out to see her. She explained about her book and trying to trace her brother's escape route (jumped from a German train, hid in the countryside for days and was starving when he sneaked into an Italian village looking for food, was caught and treated as a hero by the populace!).

So she mentions the name of the little town in the mountains where her brother received rest, food and medical treatment and the restaurant owner's eyes went wide. Turns out he was a small boy in that town and remembered meeting a Canadian pilot trying to escape from the Germans (who took custody of all POWs). How strange a coincidence is it for them to meet a quarter of the way around the world, fifty years on!

PS - After recovering in the village her brother left to avoid the people being punished by the Germans if they found him. He made his way along mountain valleys to the front lines and managed to dodge German patrols to reach the Canadian lines in Eastern Italy. AFAIK very few Allied POWs escaped German Custody in Italy.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 35
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 6:31:36 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Here's the data from a couple of days ago.

warspite1

There is something distinctly unsettling about this picture... but I can't put my finger on it....

I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot lightsaber.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 36
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 6:53:03 PM   
Mark VII

Yes, Florence SC is an important city. It was the "almost there" mark as we headed to Myrtle Beach from Nashville for our week at the condo. For years the Florence Air & Missile Museum was at the airport. Stopped once to check it out(it was ok, a/c somewhat weathered) but it closed in 1997.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Florence is an important city in South Carolina, close to where the hurricane will make landfall. Florence is also an important city in Alabama. What's this about Italy?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 37
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 7:14:28 PM   
mind_messing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Livestream from a platform off the US East Coast.

The poor flag is taking some beating...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: Florence - 9/13/2018 8:49:10 PM   
AcePylut

That's a great story BBFanBoy!

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 39
RE: Florence - 9/14/2018 1:58:23 AM   
Lawless1

I am to north of you in Lancaster SC

Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 40
RE: Florence - 9/14/2018 6:18:01 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

If anybody needs a roost during this, let me know. Denver is quite a drive, but there is no rent

Not only that, many things like pig farms, livestock, etc can be a problem too. But the worst of it, if something manage to hit or ended up right in the uptake or funnel of those power plants.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 41
RE: Florence - 9/14/2018 12:03:52 PM   
wegman58

quote:

One of the better prepared industries.

http://ansnuclearcafe.org/2018/09/13/hurricane-florence-no-problem-for-nuclear-power-plants/

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 42
RE: Florence - 9/14/2018 12:48:20 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

quote:

The nuke is not a concern, it is down to standby already.

Not only that, many things like pig farms, livestock, etc can be a problem too. But the worst of it, if something manage to hit or ended up right in the uptake or funnel of those power plants.

What happens when the pig lagoons, the Super Fund sites, the coal waste, and the reactor waste all mix together?

I could not believe all the toxicology disaster potentials I was reading

Attachment (1)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 43
RE: Florence - 9/14/2018 1:06:41 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Being Eurotrash I was perplexed by why there was a discussion on the Italian city on the AE forums.

Keep your heads down over there!

You mean Firenze?

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 44
RE: Florence - 9/14/2018 5:54:18 PM   
rustysi

My thoughts are definitely down here today. Friends and family in the neighborhood. Son's high school friend evacuated the other day. Nephew is with the sheriff's department near Wilmington and is staying. Rest should be far enough away to be safe.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 45
RE: Florence - 9/15/2018 1:30:11 PM   
Skyros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

I'm to the south of you in Blythewood SC. Rain rain go away come again another day.

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 46
RE: Florence - 9/18/2018 9:37:45 PM   
BBfanboy

Looks like the Pentagon will be putting "stewed chicken" in military ration packs soon ...

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/sanderson-farms-chickens-florence_us_5ba09ff7e4b046313fbec679

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 47
RE: Florence - 9/19/2018 11:51:51 AM   
Rising-Sun

Noticed over 5k pigs and 3M chicken have died in the floods, that gonna be really nasty in that areas as well biohazard. Wont be easy cleaning that up due to floods. Probably more in other areas as well.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Florence - 9/19/2018 3:40:04 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

I'm to the south of you in Blythewood SC. Rain rain go away come again another day.

I live in Blythewood, also, and have since January 2015 (moved here from IL). I'm currently plotting the demise of the Japanese Empire from my HQ in the Plantation Park neighborhood of Longcreek HOA. I love the area!

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 9/19/2018 3:41:50 PM >

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 49
RE: Florence - 9/19/2018 6:03:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Noticed over 5k pigs and 3M chicken have died in the floods, that gonna be really nasty in that areas as well biohazard. Wont be easy cleaning that up due to floods. Probably more in other areas as well.

Once they deal with the waters, cleanup will be a nasty affair no doubt. But there are all manner of methodologies for dealing with large-scale 'catastrophic' mortality events in large-scale poultry. Most of them involve the 'corn rowing' of dead birds, covered with copious quantities of wood shavings. Piles are occasionally turned to provide ideal aerobic ratios for composting. Most of the birds (broiler / broiler breeders) will be pretty straightforward to do this with. After a few weeks of composting, the remaining material can be spread onto a field to act as an excellent composted fertilizer for corn or soy crops.

Feeder pigs of several hundred pounds live weight not so much.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Florence Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI