Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interstellar Economy, Trade and movement.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Interstellar Economy, Trade and movement. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interstellar Economy, Trade and movement. - 9/9/2018 4:32:28 PM   
LordMM

This is an idea I had, and I thought this could use a separate thread, as I assume this will eventually start a discussion.
If moderators disagree they are free to move this to the Master wishlist thread.

Empire specefic goods

I am no history buff, but in history, trade has not always been for raw materials but the trade of finished goods from one location to another. For example, on the silk road, Besides silk, the Chinese also exported teas, salt, sugar, porcelain, and spices. Most of what was traded were expensive luxury goods. Now some of these luxury goods are not raw materials but goods which were produced and unique to an area or a civilization which was in very high demand.

So, one of the idea's I had was each Empire could have their own set of consumer goods they could produce which would be in demand in their own Empire, and in higher demand elsewhere. For example, we could have Luxury goods produced by Securans to be in very high demand for humans and other similar species. So each Empire could sell a(resource) which would be produced on their planets. In this way, such resources would not be available everywhere and access to it would be limited, means you would have to have to either have good relations and Trade or invade their home systems.

Movement

The second topic I want to talk about is movement, One of the aspects of trade is the ability to transport any item from one corner of the galaxy to another. This I suggest we setup something called interstellar highways which would be pre-generated in the galaxy map connecting one end of the Galaxy to another. Using these "highways" would considerably increase the speed of travel. There would be around 3-4 such highways on the map. I believe, considering the demand for these goods from across the galaxy would force the private sector to use these highways. Access to such highways would require a special tech and a facility to dock and undock. Only one would be allowed to be made in 1 sector along the path. Usage of Docks of other empires means you would have the freedom to charge high Tariffs on goods imported by other empires using these highways. Which also means Trade sanctions by those in control of these routes would be very effective.

What do you think, any suggestions? Or is this something which is easy to think about but difficult to implement properly?

< Message edited by LordMM -- 9/9/2018 4:33:55 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Interstellar Economy, Trade and movement. - 9/9/2018 10:20:13 PM   
ArchMike

Manufactured ressources are moddable (see modding guide). These ressources could be used to give bonus to specifc race (in the race file). However, it would be difficult to ensure that only one race is able to manufacture the ressource.

For wormhole, I read in the past that it was impossible in current engine.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Interstellar Economy, Trade and movement. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI