New units in Germany at War 1.09

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ronald Wendt

New units in Germany at War 1.09

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

in the next update there will be new units as usual. Also France is added as a nation and it receives the first entry in the list though the main focus of version 1.09 is of course the new campaign "Soviet Dawn".
Like before the list will be expanded over time.

Attachments
NewUnits1-09.jpg
NewUnits1-09.jpg (650.95 KiB) Viewed 584 times
klhbekool

RE: New units in Germany at War 1.09

Post by klhbekool »

Awesome, I can't wait. Thanks for the update Ronald.
KLH
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi klhbekool,

you are welcome. [:)]

Soviet tanks are fueled as we speak, tovarich!
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

The T-34 and KV series are the world's best tanks in 1941. The Soviets just do not have enough if them and a few separate divisions cannot stop the massive German attack, so the Red Army needs more T-34 for 1942. Also German air superiority means close air support and air recon missions, so even the best T-34 division cannot do much against an entire panzer group supported by the Stukas. There are reports of a turretless tank brigade (presumably based on heavily reinforced 600th battalion) with heavy flaks attached operating against the North Western front. So the Red Army needs to learn all these tricks to beat the invaders with their own tactics before the tide turns.

I wonder what surprises the German engineers may have prepared that the Soviets are not aware of yet?
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

so the Finns got the M.S.406, too. They will try to improve it but not be able to do so in any significant number.

@Marechal: The Soviets are also plagued by lack of command & control and often outflanked by German tanks which have a huge tactical advantage with their standard radio equipment. It will take two years until many of the issues are resolved. Still they die for every inch of their soil.
terminator

Post by terminator »

Will the next unit be a ground unit ?
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi terminator,

the chance for a ground unit is extremely high given the ratio air:ground in the list of the planned units.

Regards,
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt
Hi terminator,
the chance for a ground unit is extremely high given the ratio air:ground in the list of the planned units.
Regards,
The ground units are the essential units in this game.The air units are rather support units of the ground units.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Flyers get their oak leaves and swords and diamonds but the victory only comes when an infantryman walks in and signs on the wall.

There would be two infantry units I could think about:
- Elite Grenadier (I have the stats in my notes)
- how about adding Spain as a nation so that the Spanish Legion can have a Spanish flag? (a low priority and depends on how much work it takes; in the 1941 campaign the Spanish legion is a core unit under the German flag now)
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

@terminator: And due to the advantages of mass production and standardization the number of relevant (e.g. being produced in a significant amount) aircraft types is limited.

@AngrySwan: Adding a nation without units is quite easy. Though Spain did not participate in the war (which is why i have not read much about its military at the time), adding it might also open the road to the civil war (like PG II had in it). I don't want to promise this for 1.09, but maybe i can do it. In 1.10 at the latest it should be no problem.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

Since the game is mostly about WW2 and Eastern Front (or Soviet-German front, depending on which side the player takes) Spanish civil war units can come later - unless someone wants to make a mod about them. I could use the Spanish flag for the Spanish Legion also known as "The Blue Division". It is a core unit in Tikhvin scenario in my 1941 campaign.

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Preparing this new fella for the game.

Attachments
NewFre109.jpg
NewFre109.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 586 times
klhbekool

Post by klhbekool »

Cool, is that an R35?
KLH
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Yes, Sir - it is. Updated the unit preview.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

And so the French generals can have a decent luncheon during an invasion, they now got bunker garrisons to protect the border.
klhbekool

Post by klhbekool »

Ronald, that is awesome. We don't want the luncheon ruined by those pesky panzers!!!!
KLH
terminator

Post by terminator »

Renault R35

Operational history
The R35 was intended to replace the Renault FT as standard light infantry tank from the summer of 1936, but even by May 1940 not enough conscripts had been retrained and therefore eight battalions of the older tank had to be kept operational. On 1 September 1939, at the outbreak of war, 975 vehicles had been delivered out of 1070 produced; 765 were fielded by tank battalions in France, 49 used for drive training, 33 were in depot and 45 present in the colonies. Of a total order for 2,300 at least 1,601 had been produced until 1 June 1940 — the numbers for that month are lacking — of which 245 had been exported: to Poland (50), Turkey (100; two batches of fifty each in February and March 1940),[6] Romania (41 from an order for 200), and Yugoslavia (54). It is likely that the tanks exported to Yugoslavia (in April 1940) are not included under the 1,601 total and that overall production was 1,685; serial numbers known to be actually used indicate a production of at least 1670 vehicles.
Attachments
RenaultR35.jpg
RenaultR35.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

ORIGINAL: klhbekool

Ronald, that is awesome. We don't want the luncheon ruined by those pesky panzers!!!!

Seems you have the mind of a French general ! We surely want to reach the Crème brûlée in safety.
ORIGINAL: terminator
of which 245 had been exported: to Poland (50), Turkey (100; two batches of fifty each in February and March 1940),[6] Romania (41 from an order for 200), and Yugoslavia (54).

Actually the French profit here from being a big exporter of weapons as i picked that equipment because it was used by Axis forces on the Eastern Front. I knew about Romania using the R35 , if Poland really could field them in the 1939 campaign i would add them to their arsenal as well.

Currently the singele turret variant of the 7TP is in the making:

Attachments
NewPolishTankUnit.jpg
NewPolishTankUnit.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

So i added the 7PTjw for Poland and zoomed in with the camera in the French R35 depiction which was a bit tiny before.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Romania just got a delivery of R35 tanks.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”