HPS Tigers Unleashed - opinions needed

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Freyr Oakenshield

HPS Tigers Unleashed - opinions needed

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Has anybody played this game? Is it any good? Worth buying?

link: https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/TSS/TU/TU.asp
Agathosdaimon

RE: HPS Tigers Unleashed - opinions needed

Post by Agathosdaimon »

depends what you are after - i have it and have played it, it is more of a study sim so to speak, - i like it because of the fog of war it aims to recreate. it models alot of elements but it isnt compicated to play at all, everything is well explained i find
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I haven't even tried playing the game in several years, but when I bought it upon release (2010?) it was buggy, incomplete, and expensive. There is no dedicated forum or player base, the dev does not interact with the community at all, and promised patches were years in the making. I finally gave up, don't know or care about the current state of the game.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I have both Tigers Unleashed and Point of Attack 2.5, so thats about $120 worth of software...

I really wanted to like the TSS system, and support Mr. Hamilton, but I cannot keep my hopes high on either products when the dev is basically dedicated to what and when the TSS system will be and/or finished. As they say, don´t trip over the same rock twice, and that´s what´s happened! I could not even un-install PoA 2.5 because for what ever reason it dosent have a un-installer, or was washed away with patches/fixes. To me these are very basic things after SO MANY YEARS in development.

As stated above, no support besides some user fan site (DoW-Asid), no real finished product and NOT optimized to run at it´s full potential on todays PC´s. With everything on it´s full settings a turn may take 15min to calculate!

You can have the best of intentions, but don´t make others pay a high price for them unless you deliver what you advertise in a working form! For me it´s still a Beta, but you wont see it stated anywhere...

As above, don´t care anymore and un-installed (lost $120).
Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

TU is an extremely detailed and complex (under the hood) simulator. That is the problem. It is great for what-ifs and running simulated situations. However many people struggle to find the "game" in this series of titles.

The series is in a constant state of flux/development. Not sure I would call it beta but the rare updates can create problems as well as fix them. Many customers have been left frustrated and eventually abandoned the series. I can understand this.

Communication with the developer is extremely rare. This is a labour of love for him but that does not excuse the lack of contact with the customer base. I find this a very big negative. This situation will not change any time soon.

I like the series but I like deep simulation.

I would not recommend the series to a casual wargamer.

Regards
[center]War in Pieces

www.DogsofWarVu.com[/center]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I have significant time with the new TU patch and it is running excellently. POA 2.5 - forget about that one for now.

Using an i7 3.6 and no slowdowns. Also helps to reduce LOS to WW2 levels. No tank kills at 8,000 yards, right? In fact, Matrix Tigers on the Hunt has a much more serious slowdown problem with larger maps, etc.

But I totally agree about the "game" aspect of the simulation. I play it like a test tube sandbox game that has tons of options and forces. But I never get that feeling of "gaming" you get with TotH, even with it's clunky UI.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

It´s interesting to see how you say "POA 2.5 - forget about that one for now". So anybody how bought that at the asking $60 is stuck with it right? Seriouslly...

It´s hard for me to belive that TU has no slowdowns with it´s settings at full, even with a i7, but hey I know nothing.

This is the never ending story with the TSS system and the man behind it, is it worth it? I guess youll have to spend $60 to find out...

--
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I like the modern warfare in POA 2.5, but in addition to crashes, the OOB is very small compared to TU. I bought on release and had to put these games away for years. Very specialized audience. For normal people I would recommend spending the $60 or so on the new Aggressors Rome and upcoming Armored Brigade. But the game does zip along with the new patch and reasonable LOS settings, where it used to be slow on i7.

Still waiting for Schwerpunkt to finish WWIIe. Funny, I bought it for the editor, which is the last thing he will finish. Such is the case with solo devs.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Thanks for opinions; I'm going to wait and see then for now...
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I haven't even tried playing the game in several years, but when I bought it upon release (2010?) it was buggy, incomplete, and expensive. There is no dedicated forum or player base, the dev does not interact with the community at all, and promised patches were years in the making. I finally gave up, don't know or care about the current state of the game.

Exactly. The worst game purchase I ever made.
E

Post by E »

I think fans of Tigers on the Prowl 2, Panthers in the Shadows, Dragons in the Mist, or Broken Alliance will like this game (thanks to the 1.2.10 patch, this year). And due to the aforementioned patch going public, I can now give a public thumbs up!

I do agree with ASID, in that this is NOT a game for the casual gamer. Just look at the screen caps on HPS' site to get a glimpse of how deep this can get (it doesn't have to though).
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Based on Z1812's post, we should definitely start a thread on the three worst games we ever bought. I don't want to start it though [;)]

Memory is a bit rusty after 35 years.
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
Still on the fence with getting Tigers Unleashed. Has the latest patch allowed stock scenarios to play w/o crashes?
I notice nobleknight website sells cd version at same price as hps download only version.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Having really enjoyed Tigers on the Prowl 2 and Panthers in the Shadows I have to disagree with E. While I have not played TU I did try POA2 years ago and found it as engaging as an Excel spreadsheet.
I also always thought it was crappy that the editor ADC2 was sold separately.
pkpowers

Post by pkpowers »

I agree with Blond Knight ; I use to play TOP2, PITS and Broken alliance constantly during the dos based hay day. I was always hoping for the modern successor to these games, and sadly, TU or poa2 are not it. Sometimes there is a fine line between playability and realism, and TU and poa2 to me are just about un-playable, patch or no patch. I just wish PITS would have been upgraded.
wodin

Post by wodin »

email me at j__rimmer@hotmail.com

:)

The first thing you need to know is it's really a beta and constantly being worked on. The second thing is things can take along time due to the games complexity.

Anyway email me.

Also u can email scott Scott@hpssims.com
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: E

I think fans of Tigers on the Prowl 2, Panthers in the Shadows, Dragons in the Mist, or Broken Alliance will like this game

I-m one of them (I still run PitS and ToP2 on DOSBox) and what I would like to see is simply a more modern version with a modern interface. I hoped that TU could be it ---> Money out of the window.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

email me at j__rimmer@hotmail.com

:)

The first thing you need to know is it's really a beta and constantly being worked on. The second thing is things can take along time due to the games complexity.

Anyway email me.

Also u can email scott Scott@hpssims.com

The secrecy and lack of public interaction/communication is one of the core issues.

Regards
[center]War in Pieces

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Asid
The secrecy and lack of public interaction/communication is one of the core issues.
Indeed. The dev's complete unwillingness to engage with the community (not that there is one for this game) is truly bizarre. Most people are willing to cut small one-two man dev teams lots of slack as long as they communicate... This guy? Not so much...
Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

Communication is key, especially with a complex piece of software like this. Also people need to know why the delays are happening and an expected update timeframe.

Everything I find out about Tigers Unleashed and Point Of Attack 2 is posted here. Just search for the titles.

Oh, and it is not a "user fan site" [:)]

Regards
[center]War in Pieces

Return to “General Discussion”