Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 11:28:40 AM   
szmike

I would check if all subunits have the same TOE, by the look on the screens it seems to be the same, but that's the only thing not mentioned earlier that would cause inability to recombine.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 31
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 3:31:59 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

What is not mentioned is what version of the game, if the beta is being used, and if this is a modded game.

The latest game release with the beta will show a double asterisk when there is a device type that is preventing a splinter rebuild like pictured below.

An equal sign would denote an upgrade available. For example: **=

Lowpe - it's a stock scenario 1, and not either a mod, or the beta version.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 32
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 3:33:34 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

It's a longshot, but did you click "unit organization" for each of the three division pieces? You seem light on engineers and I wonder if there's a fragment of forgotten engineers sitting on a beach somewhere drinking maitais with the nurses while their poor brethren slog it out in China.

[EDIT: I see NY59Giants had this idea above.]

By the way, it can dangerous having all three division pieces on "upgrade allowed." One of those might get 57mm AT guns and it'll take a lot of effort to sort that out. Stockpiling 57mm guns is another solution, though.

Cheers,
CC

I checked each of the 3 last night - and these 3 are the only units that display. I'm sure there are not any fragments hanging out there.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 33
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 3:34:43 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Can you repeat the original post, but this time with the TOE of the units showing instead of the current status of the unit? I am wondering if there is somehow a difference in the subunit TOEs.

Loka, I'll try and do this later on today when I do my latest turn.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 34
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 6:01:09 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

What is not mentioned is what version of the game, if the beta is being used, and if this is a modded game.

The latest game release with the beta will show a double asterisk when there is a device type that is preventing a splinter rebuild like pictured below.

An equal sign would denote an upgrade available. For example: **=

An equal sign only denotes an upgrade is available if there are enough devices.

Without looking up upgrade dates because I'm ignorant, it is entirely possible that one or more of the subunit TOEs has upgraded while one or more has not upgraded - and that there are not enough devices in the pools to upgrade that device on the subunit(s) that have an upgraded TOE.

But it sounds like he's not playing with at least some of the beta releases anyway, so he may not see the = next to devices that can upgrade.

Dave, you should update to the latest beta. It has many, many bugfixes compared to the latest official release.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 35
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 6:18:20 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Then, 3 regiments are not as resistant to damage as is a full division,

To begin with, no I didn't save the link, and yes I'm still kicking myself in the butt. A short time back I was looking for something else when I came upon a Dev's statement that addressed this piece of 'Forum Lore'. He stated that in all testing that they had done in this matter when the '3 regiments' are operating in the same hex they would perform at so close to the combined unit as to be negligible. I'm paraphrasing here, but not altering what was said.

As to the thread, I can't see exactly why the unit won't combine. I'm coming up to a point in my game as Japan where I will have the same situation. All children assigned to one HQ, and the 'full unit' assigned to another. If I remember I will post when the time comes. Its about a game month away, and that's about 1 and 1/2 months for me so...

For the record, when I split a unit I turn 'upgrades' off as a rule. Doesn't mean I haven't forgotten from time to time.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 36
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 6:30:32 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Dave, you should update to the latest beta. It has many, many bugfixes compared to the latest official release.

Personally I don't like doing this mid-game, especially if a PBEM, but that's just me.

I'd like to mention one specific 'fix' that I know is in the latest beta. That is the reloading of main gun ammo by AE's while underway. It won't happen if you don't have the patch. It was also a problem with the loading in port, but that was fixed way back. I guess since the 'at sea unrep' didn't occur until '45 it wasn't noticed. As soon as the two were 'linked' together 'Mr. M' fixed it right away, and then sadly, finally, had to bow out.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 37
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 6:44:41 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Then, 3 regiments are not as resistant to damage as is a full division,

To begin with, no I didn't save the link, and yes I'm still kicking myself in the butt. A short time back I was looking for something else when I came upon a Dev's statement that addressed this piece of 'Forum Lore'. He stated that in all testing that they had done in this matter when the '3 regiments' are operating in the same hex they would perform at so close to the combined unit as to be negligible. I'm paraphrasing here, but not altering what was said.

witpqs probably has the thread somewhere, and I believe it was Micahel that worked the kinks out of the code. I think he said about 96% equivalent...I know one place it is mentioned is the mod forum for Dababes mods where they don't allow the Australians to combine into divisions.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/4/2018 6:45:03 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 38
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/4/2018 7:45:44 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I think he said about 96% equivalent...

Sounds about right.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 39
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/5/2018 11:05:10 AM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

Can you repeat the original post, but this time with the TOE of the units showing instead of the current status of the unit? I am wondering if there is somehow a difference in the subunit TOEs.

Loka, I'll try and do this later on today when I do my latest turn.

Per Lokasenna's request - here are the TOE screenshots for all 3

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 40
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/5/2018 11:16:52 AM   
Yaab

The plot thickens.

"Maybe we got them demoralised?

Post #: 41
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/5/2018 1:56:33 PM   
Lokasenna

Yep, I'm out of ideas now.

What if you loaded them on ships and then unloaded them? Maybe the game thinks they're fragmented when they're not, and maybe creating a bunch of fragments by loading them on a bunch of ships - and then reversing that by unloading them - will "reset" them. I don't know. Grasping at straws here.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 42
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/5/2018 2:14:29 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

Yep, I'm out of ideas now.

What if you loaded them on ships and then unloaded them? Maybe the game thinks they're fragmented when they're not, and maybe creating a bunch of fragments by loading them on a bunch of ships - and then reversing that by unloading them - will "reset" them. I don't know. Grasping at straws here.

That is one of the things that has been so weird. This division was split early on for ease of buyout and transport. They ended up in Sabang, together, and wouldn't recombine. They were part of the force that took Medan, then transported to Malaysian peninsula for the assault on Singapore. They were in Singapore together, and wouldn't recombine. Strat move to Phnom Penh together - wouldn't recombine. By road to Saigon together - wouldn't recombine. Strat move to Haiphong where they wouldn't recombine. Then boarded ships for Wenchow and still wont recombine. I have plenty of other infantry units to complete my conquest of China, so these guys will probably just end up as garrison forces, but it has been weird following this group and the continued inability to recombine. That's why I posted - because I was so perplexed. I've rebuilt other divisions, so I knew it wasnt anything I was doing incorrectly. Thanks for trying to figure out the puzzle.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 43
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/5/2018 3:51:37 PM   
Lokasenna

Make a backup save.

Then change the command on all 3 to something else, and then see if they will recombine. Given your anecdote, that's my current bet. Something is "off" with the commands somehow, even though it says they are all in the same command.

Post #: 44
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/5/2018 7:11:36 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

Make a backup save.

Then change the command on all 3 to something else, and then see if they will recombine. Given your anecdote, that's my current bet. Something is "off" with the commands somehow, even though it says they are all in the same command.

I will try this tonight and let you know how it works. It's about the only thing I havent tried - didnt want to waste the PP's. Never thought to do it in a "backup" copy as a test. Duh....

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 45
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 12:00:10 AM   
dave sindel

quote:

quote:

Make a backup save.

I will try this tonight and let you know how it works. It's about the only thing I havent tried - didnt want to waste the PP's. Never thought to do it in a "backup" copy as a test. Duh....

Loka, I tried your suggestion, and it didnt make any difference. Changed all 3 units to the same new HQ ( Sixth Army) and they still wouldnt recombine...

Post #: 46
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 1:07:39 AM   
Lowpe

There is a glitch, it happens rarely.

I guess you can't go into the editor can you?

Post #: 47
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 9:03:23 AM   
ericv

I would love to take a look at the savegame if that's at all a possibility? I can look a bit behind the screens. Perhaps a bit got switched accidentally

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 48
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 11:48:50 AM   
dave sindel

quote:

Lowpe, I've never opened the editor so I am not familiar with it. And since this is an "active" PBEM game, I would feel awkward messing around in there for fear I'd really screw up something within the game itself.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 49
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 1:41:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Lowpe, I've never opened the editor so I am not familiar with it. And since this is an "active" PBEM game, I would feel awkward messing around in there for fear I'd really screw up something within the game itself.

If you use the extra save that you used when you switched the unit to 6th Army, that should not affect your PBEM.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 50
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 6:10:59 PM   
Lowpe

What scenario number is the game?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 51
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 8:18:27 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

What scenario number is the game?

Stock Scenario 1

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 52
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/6/2018 10:17:46 PM   
Lowpe

You might want to try and use AndyMac's scenario patch...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3198064

How I used it in the past. Japan watches the turn. Japan installed the patch. Japan processes the turn. The Allies load the turn and are prompted to accept the database changes.

You could probably save a dummy turn, install the patch, and then see if it solves the problem on recombining.

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 53
RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? - 9/7/2018 2:12:53 AM   
durnedwolf

I wonder if it's a leader thing. I seem to recall someone in WiTP having an issue where the leader of a unit was actually dead. I know this is AE but can you look up your leaders in Tracker?

Bye for now,

DW

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Can someone explain why this division won't recombine? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI