Modified Combat Value

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Simon Edmonds

Modified Combat Value

Post by Simon Edmonds »

I have been reading 15.8.1 on Factors Influencing Modified CV. Whilst it seems that these factors can have a massive effect on the final CV value, the section is pretty vague about it. Is there anywhere in the manual that details how they work. Failing that is there anywhere on the forums that shows specifically how they work?
SparkleyTits

RE: Modified Combat Value

Post by SparkleyTits »

Generals ratings
supplies
SU
ground support
terrain
fort levels
disruption

The ones I know of for sure
Simon Edmonds

Post by Simon Edmonds »

I probably worded my query poorly. Terrain and fort levels are covered really well. I found a section of the forum that covered the mechanics of Fatigue and multiple HQs well. I am still looking for
1. Specific rules and examples of how morale effects CV.
2. Specific rules and examples of how a Leaders values are used to effect CV.
3. Specific rules and examples of how experience is used to effect CV.
Finally is this done at on-map unit level or individually down at squad and battery level?
morvael

Post by morvael »

1. Unit morale affects CV at slot level (individual lines you see when checking unit composition -> "20 x Tiger tank" is a single slot)
a) successful morale roll (random from 0 to 99 equal to or less morale) doubles CV of that slot
b) failed morale roll (random from 0 to 99 greater than morale) halves CV of that slot
These two rolls are separate.
3. Slot experience works as unit morale, obviously unit morale is the same for every slot in a unit, while experience may be different for each slot. Each slot uses its own experience.

2. Is more complicated. There are two combat rolls (mech skill for "motorized" units, infantry skill for non-"motorized" units), and morale roll (leader morale skill, not unit morale). At slot level (for each slot) successful combat roll doubles CV, if you fail that roll and fail another roll, CV is halved. The same happens with morale roll at slot level. At unit level, a successful combat roll may double CV of an entire attacking unit.

When playing with default blizzard rules there are futher combat/admin rolls involved, but I will not describe how they work in detail. There are also some unit morale rolls for isolated units to see if their CV will collapse.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Simon Edmonds

I have been reading 15.8.1 on Factors Influencing Modified CV. Whilst it seems that these factors can have a massive effect on the final CV value, the section is pretty vague about it. Is there anywhere in the manual that details how they work. Failing that is there anywhere on the forums that shows specifically how they work?

And section 5.8. re Soviet attack doctrine but only lasts until Feb 42.

Not to be confused with Initial and Final CV. As I read it:
Initial CV is what they start with (see 15.6.2.5)
Final CV is worked out before the battle from various combat modifiers and is used to determine losses to individual elements.
Modified CV is worked out after the battle from various combat modifiers and is used to determine who won. Defenders will retreat/route etc if they lost. I think this is what is used to record win/losses for Gd status, leader etc.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Air support depends on pre-battle CV, retreat losses depend on how the battle ends (but not on the final odds), other than that "losses to individual elements" depend on the firefight, not on CV.
Simon Edmonds

Post by Simon Edmonds »

Thanks Morvael. That has given me a much clearer understanding.[&o]
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

Does it go like this? And then second time for morale?

And can the final CV reach 4xCV if all rolls are passed? Or is 2xCV max?

Attachments
rolls.jpg
rolls.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 86 times
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

My record [:D]:

Attachments
rekord.jpg
rekord.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 86 times
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

If I read morvael correctly after the rolls for exp and morale CV is either doubled or halved, it is never original CV
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
morvael

Post by morvael »

If you fail in first roll and succeed in second it remains unmodified. If you succeed in first roll and fail in second it's modified twice but remains at the same value in the end.
morvael

Post by morvael »

If you pass all rolls it's base CV x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 (for attacker)
morvael

Post by morvael »

That's why those values are huge and get divided by 10 to better match initial CV. And the original issue I had with non-random CV was that it wasn't accurate estimation at all, ignoring the mathematical laws of chance determining estimated CV, that's why Alt CV mode was born.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: morvael

If you fail in first roll and succeed in second it remains unmodified. If you succeed in first roll and fail in second it's modified twice but remains at the same value in the end.
Ah....thanks...
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Just checking my understanding: first the slot makes its morale roll (1-100=<unit morale), if it fails, then it goes to the higher HQ commander (1-10<= his rating), if he fails it goes to his HQ but with a higher number (is it 1-20?) and then finally to the high command (1-40?). At each point, a success has the same effect.

Then the appropriate technical leadership rating, starting with the immediate higher HQ (1-10<= leader's rating), next higher HQ (1-20?), supreme HQ.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Do not mix unit morale rolls with leader morale roll. Only leaders escalate failed morale rolls up the command hierarchy. Here a leader morale roll is meant as a single entity encompassing all possible leader morale rolls.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

In what way would they be confused? Maybe I don't understand.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Unit has morale value (in range 0-99). Morale roll in this case is just comparing result of a randomly determined value between 0 and 99 and unit's morale. And that's it. This is not the same test, as testing leader's morale skill (in range 1-9) which follows different rules.
These two types are used separately (unit morale twice, leader morale once).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”