Can't resolve land combat

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

laketaylora

Can't resolve land combat

Post by laketaylora »

Hello all:

In the Barbarossa scenario, when I get to the first land combat resolution step, nothing happens. From the video tutorials I know that a window is supposed to appear where I can choose the order of attacks and resolve them, but it never does appear. Nor can I find some mouse or keyboard command to bring it up.

The game doesn't appear to be freezing, I can still move around the map, when I move the cursor over units I see information for them, just... no combat resolution.

Given that I have seen no other threads reporting this problem, I am sure I must be doing something wrong. But I don't know what. I'm not getting any warning or error messages, it's just that I can't resolve any combats.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Taylor Lake
Joseignacio

RE: Can't resolve land combat

Post by Joseignacio »

Are you using more than one screen?
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

Yes, three. I tried the option to limit the game to one screen, but that didn't seem to make any difference; I was still able to move elements of the interface to other screens, and still no combat resolution display.

I've also tried moving the display map to different screens, to no avail.

The interface shows one of the three screens with an unusually large resolution, but I can't see any way to manipulate either the number of screens or their resolutions.

Do you suppose the display is coming up, but off screen?
Taylor Lake
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

What is also puzzling is that combat resolution displays show for naval combat and air strike missions, just not for land combat.
Taylor Lake
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

This sounds strange. Can you post a gamesave (zip the file in the folder and upload it here) so someone can investigate?
Peter
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

I can do that this evening. Appreciate your help.
Taylor Lake
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

I have uploaded a zip folder with 2 game saves. The first is right after setup is complete. The second may be more relevant, it's right after I have designated some land attacks and after conducting ground support air missions. When I open this saved game, I am at the land combat resolution phase but no combat selection or resolution display appears.
The setup save game is for use if for any reason the trouble originates earlier in the turn.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and just updated it to 2.07.01.

Also, I don't know if this is a scenario-specific issue (I'm learning the ropes and haven't tried any of the other scenarios yet). It's also possible that I've done something wrong, again I just don't know what.

Any insights that can get me past the land combat stage are very welcome. Played WiF a lot back in the 90s, this game seems like a Godsend - if I can get it to work.

Thanks again!
Attachments
Barbarossa_Setup.zip
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Taylor Lake
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Sorry I got back so late, but I was off when you answered yesterday.

Regardless of any other possible problems, me (and others) experienced that when using more that 1 screens many times the pop up forms were out of sight and/or you could not even acces to it in any way that we could fancy.

It sounds to me it could be that, because the game didn't freeze, so the first thing that came to my mind was that you may have a form waiting for some decision of yours that you cannot see.

When I get home I will try to load your saves and see it, but I hope the experts can give you some hint earlier. [:)]
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

Just tried the "Setup" saved game again, after installing the 2.09 hotfix patch. Same result. I'm going to try the Guadalcanal scenario, just to see if I have the same problem there.
Taylor Lake
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

This looks like a bug to me, because also with one monitor, I don't get the combat resolution form on screen.
Peter
gw15

Post by gw15 »

I tried both files.
I confirm that the Land combat file is a problem as I could not get the form to come up to chose which combat to resolve.
However, working with your setup file when I got to land combat the form came up fine.
Perhaps you should try that file again?
I'm using 2 monitors.

Gerry
ORIGINAL: laketaylora

Just tried the "Setup" saved game again, after installing the 2.09 hotfix patch. Same result. I'm going to try the Guadalcanal scenario, just to see if I have the same problem there.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Maybe because I am using a not fully updated version, probably closer to the one laketaylora was using at first, I can access inmediately to the land combats. There are 3 of them ,one in Lithuania and two in Poland. The ratios are +18, xx , + 29, xx, +29, xx

I am no beta tester but I have seen this come again and again to the forum along the time. Why don't you start another Barbarossa with just 1 monitor from start ?
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

I really do appreciate and respect all of the effort I'm seeing here. Very impressive. Still don't know what to make of it, given that the issue shows up for some but not for others.

What I will try next is to run the program on one monitor with the other two shut off and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again to everyone.
Taylor Lake
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Here.

Attachments
Barbarossa.jpg
Barbarossa.jpg (705.26 KiB) Viewed 122 times
laketaylora

Post by laketaylora »

OK, here's the latest:

1. I disabled two of the three monitors, started the game and chose the Land combat saved game. Lo, the combat resolution form appeared, half off the screen, just like the image above. I could grab it with the mouse and move it onto the screen. Was able to resolve land combats.

2. Then I closed the program, re-enabled the other two monitors, restarted the land combat game and... the land combat form now appears in multi-monitor configuration.

So right now, it's working great. I'm not sure if I'll have to keep fiddling with the number of displays in the future, but at least I have found a way to get that form to appear.

My thanks once again to all who helped here. Your input made the difference between pressing on with learning the game and shelving it.[&o]
Taylor Lake
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

More or less what used to happen to me.

IIRW you may experience this again if you keep using several monitors but at least:

1 You know how to solve it
2 We deleted one possible bug from Steven's list.

[:)]
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I'm getting exactly the same problem - at the same stage - with a dual monitor set up.

What I can't see is how to make WiF appear just on one monitor ... and please don't tell me I have to crawl around on the floor disconnecting (physically) the second one?

edit: at first glance reverting to one monitor solves it, but it remains a bug not:
ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

More or less what used to happen to me.

IIRW you may experience this again if you keep using several monitors but at least:

1 You know how to solve it
2 We deleted one possible bug from Steven's list.

[:)]

edit 2 - not least ok, if I disable one monitor it works, when I restart the dual monitor set up it fails again. Since I more or less rely on a dual set up to do my work having to disable one to play one game = bug in game?
Attachments
wif.jpg
wif.jpg (780.08 KiB) Viewed 121 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Not sure MWiF likes negative numbers. Try making the left monitor the primary., so the coordinates go from 0 to 3840, left to right.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

If that doesn't work, I would advise to move the Command Form in the middle of the left monitor. Some screens tend to pop up to the left of the main form...
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I am not very good at micro computers (or computers anyway) but I found in my windows7 fairly easily a screen where I could select by clicking on images whether to use one, two screens, projector, ... I have W10 now but I believe it will be the same. I could switch pretty easily from there. Back, and forth afterward too!

Return to “Tech Support”