Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Refuelling

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Refuelling Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Refuelling - 8/18/2018 4:47:40 PM   
Chris21wen

Is it possible to send a ship to refuel another? I.e. as in RAS at sea?
Post #: 1
RE: Refuelling - 8/18/2018 5:11:08 PM   
Bingeling

Without mods or other trickery, there are resupply ships. They need to be researched.

They are by default designs, rather powerful, mobile mining bases. I love them, most others seem to hate them. They need to deploy at a planet to become a resupply point. Usually you deploy at a fuel source, but it should be possible to deploy on anything if you just want to use previously mined fuel in the stores.

There is a good guide for them.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3643578

For me it feels so good to have them parked on fuel sources to fill up. When war comes, one or two head for mining spots in nice range of several enemy systems, and my battle fleets may wreck havoc with refueling sources nearby.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Refuelling - 8/18/2018 6:23:02 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Resupply ships also make great dreadnoughts if you custom design them due to the size. Granted they are only really useful in that role as a system defense force due to the way the hard coding keeps them from properly operating as a warship but set to auto they will attack anything that warps in.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Refuelling - 8/25/2018 7:56:51 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Without mods or other trickery, there are resupply ships. They need to be researched.

They are by default designs, rather powerful, mobile mining bases. I love them, most others seem to hate them. They need to deploy at a planet to become a resupply point. Usually you deploy at a fuel source, but it should be possible to deploy on anything if you just want to use previously mined fuel in the stores.

For me it feels so good to have them parked on fuel sources to fill up. When war comes, one or two head for mining spots in nice range of several enemy systems, and my battle fleets may wreck havoc with refueling sources nearby.

You misunderstand my question. You have to park a resupply ship at a source and send ships to them. I wanted to know if you can do it the other-way-round, I'e send a refuelling ship to them.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Refuelling - 8/25/2018 10:16:35 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

You misunderstand my question. You have to park a resupply ship at a source and send ships to them. I wanted to know if you can do it the other-way-round, I'e send a refuelling ship to them.

He did answer your question. Send the resupply ship to them then deploy on something so they can dock and refuel. Just make sure its full of fuel first if there is no fuel source to mine at the destination.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 5
RE: Refuelling - 9/2/2018 8:39:23 PM   
Omnius

SirHoraceHarkness,
Interesting observation about making a resupply ship into a battleship. I couldn't help but notice a similarity to these resupply ships and the moon devastation ship from the Shakturi Domminion scenario. I was thinking of repurposing a carrier to making a planet crusher type super battleship but may have to look at the resupply ship design for that trick.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 6
RE: Refuelling - 9/3/2018 1:50:43 AM   
Aeson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

SirHoraceHarkness,
Interesting observation about making a resupply ship into a battleship. I couldn't help but notice a similarity to these resupply ships and the moon devastation ship from the Shakturi Domminion scenario. I was thinking of repurposing a carrier to making a planet crusher type super battleship but may have to look at the resupply ship design for that trick.

For what it's worth, carriers are probably the worst type of ship on which to put superweapons. Superweapons are size hogs and carriers actually have the least size to play with of any of the roles - they're allowed to be 50% larger, but 40% of their size must be spent on Fighter or Advanced Fighter Bays, which means that they have only 90% of the standard size limit for non-mission-specific modules. Compounding that, a max-size carrier requires about 50% more support modules than does a max-size standard warship and will also need about 50% more main engines to attain a given speed.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 7
RE: Refuelling - 9/3/2018 10:12:44 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

quote:

He did answer your question. Send the resupply ship to them then deploy on something so they can dock and refuel. Just make sure its full of fuel first if there is no fuel source to mine at the destination.

I know all that, he didn't and neither have you answered the question.

Navy's use fleet auxilleries that carry fuel and refuel ships at sea. That is what I want to know but I'm assuming it is not possible.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 8
RE: Refuelling - 9/3/2018 11:29:05 PM   
Aeson

quote:

I know all that, he didn't and neither have you answered the question.

Navy's use fleet auxilleries that carry fuel and refuel ships at sea. That is what I want to know but I'm assuming it is not possible.

No, it is not possible to order a ship to refuel another ship. However, the difference between ordering a ship to refuel another ship and ordering a ship such as a Resupply Ship to move to a nearby location and then ordering a ship to refuel from the Resupply Ship is largely semantic.

Also, if you want to get technical about it, then in the real world both the warship and the auxiliary receive orders regarding refueling, and frequently the warships meet the auxiliaries part way rather than continuing on with whatever they're doing, because most auxiliaries are relatively vulnerable and the process of refueling and resupplying also renders the warships relatively vulnerable, so it can be better to do it in a place of relative safety if possible than necessarily right where the warships are wanted.

< Message edited by Aeson -- 9/3/2018 11:32:08 PM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Refuelling Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI