Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about modding

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Question about modding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about modding - 8/11/2018 4:13:53 PM   
exsonic01

Sorry for so many questions, but to what extent the modding is allowed in this game? I know that this game support the unit data. In addition to that, what kind of contents can be modded?

1) Map
2) Unit graphic image
3) Music / sound effect (gun, engine, explosion, shell sound and etc...)
4) Graphic effect (explosion, flame, smoke, wreck, etc...)
5) Are there any voice in this game?

Are there any modding tool and modding tutorial/manual (especially map making) planned to support?

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 8/11/2018 4:15:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Question about modding - 8/14/2018 1:57:27 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: exsonic01

1) Map

Maps are .bmp images that can be edited with any image editor. We have a simple in-game map editor for internal use, but we're unsure if it's complete enough in its current condition to be released publicly. Our map designer has been very happy with it though. I'm not very familiar with the map making process, but the data from public sources needs external applications for sure. We're waiting for feedback from map makers in the future, so the process of making maps can be improved. There's an interview with our map designer available here.

quote:

2) Unit graphic image

All unit and terrain textures are moddable.

quote:

3) Music / sound effect (gun, engine, explosion, shell sound and etc...)

Sounds are more or less moddable.

quote:

4) Graphic effect (explosion, flame, smoke, wreck, etc...)

The particle sprite graphics can be modded, but the particle engine is hardcoded.

quote:

5) Are there any voice in this game?

Currently there are random casualty screams.

quote:

Are there any modding tool and modding tutorial/manual (especially map making) planned to support?

There is an in-game database editor. Other than editing and adding factions, units etc, external tools are needed at the moment. We're listening to the community and will build the modding aspect further based on the feedback.

Know thyself!

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about modding - 8/14/2018 6:35:13 PM   
exsonic01

Thank you for your great answers

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about modding - 10/19/2018 9:02:11 AM   
joeyeti

Are the moddable unit/vehicle/gun statistics modelled as "real-life", i.e. in meters/feet, kg/pound etc.?

So that theoretically any older equipment could be added in (like WW2, WW1, 19th century)?

Joe

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about modding - 10/19/2018 12:48:27 PM   
22sec

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

Are the moddable unit/vehicle/gun statistics modelled as "real-life", i.e. in meters/feet, kg/pound etc.?

So that theoretically any older equipment could be added in (like WW2, WW1, 19th century)?

Yes

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about modding - 10/19/2018 12:55:35 PM   
Veitikka

Actually, the current game has some WW2 era equipment: T-34-85, StuG III, Landsverk Anti II, Maxim MG...

Know thyself!

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about modding - 10/19/2018 11:36:52 PM   
Rosseau

We can't ask for much more, especially for the release version. This will probably be my game-of-the-year, with Aggressors Rome up there as well.

Thanks and happy selling!

Mike

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about modding - 10/21/2018 8:00:19 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Sounds like this game will be a good "sandbox" allowing the community can do a lot of editing and creating, which is great.

Have a question regarding the maps. Noticed the maps are .bmp images, and we can edit them? I happen to have a lot of cool hex map images saved from board games like ASL and Combat Commander, for example. Can we select a .bmp map image of our choice and then load it into this game? If so, how does the game then handle line of sight for all the structures and trees, and also elevation changes? Is this something we can setup for a map that we load into the game?

Thanks
Jeff

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about modding - 10/21/2018 9:24:26 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

Have a question regarding the maps. Noticed the maps are .bmp images, and we can edit them? I happen to have a lot of cool hex map images saved from board games like ASL and Combat Commander, for example. Can we select a .bmp map image of our choice and then load it into this game? If so, how does the game then handle line of sight for all the structures and trees, and also elevation changes? Is this something we can setup for a map that we load into the game?

Yes, the players can edit and make their own maps. The terrain data and the elevation data are two simple .bmp images. In the terrain data image terrain types are color coded, for example the color X becomes a 'small warehouse' (its height and other attributes are in the game engine) and so on. It can be painted with any image editor. The elevation maps can be 8 bit grayscale images or 24 bit images that use the red and green channel to form the height for that map cell. The former is very easy to make but is limited to 0-255 meters. The latter is a bit more complex to make, and I hope that in the future when players start making maps we can improve the elevation map making process. One issue is that in image editors slight elevation color changes can be hard for the eye to see.

Know thyself!

(in reply to Deepstuff3725)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about modding - 10/21/2018 11:50:16 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds good.

Will it be possible to make small scenarios with the editor? Like a skirmish battle between just infantry, say 20 or 30 men on each side, in a small area of a map?

I'm glad this game covering the Cold War since most games available don't. I'd really like to see mods in the future covering other eras and conflicts as well because this game appears to have some serious potential.

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Question about modding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI