Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/9/2018 10:38:15 PM   
rustysi

OK, so I'm looking to get a digital camera for my travels.

First I'd like to say that I'm not a real photo buff and I wouldn't want anything bulky or with a bunch of added lenses. I would like a zoom feature, but a real one not a 'software' version. I'm told there are a number of 'point and shoot' types out there that are good, but... Looking for functional and ease of use, but with quality of device and picture. Spending maybe 350-500 bucks. Could go a bit higher if there's a reason.

So, being that some of you are more familiar with these things I figured I could get some advice here. Such as how much memory is good? What 'video type' should I go for? 4k, 1080p? Should I get something that I could change resolution on? Is that even necessary with today's memory capacities? Would I need additional 'memory sticks'? Are there preferred manufactures, Nikon, Cannon?

Any other suggestions you may add would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Post #: 1
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/9/2018 10:48:01 PM   
BillBrown

Here is a link to a Cannon Sx-40. I have an SX-30 and I am quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Stabilized-2-7-Inch-Vari-Angle/dp/B005MTMFHU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533854784&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+powershot+sx40&dpID=5140MRhTY5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 2
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/9/2018 10:58:09 PM   
geofflambert

I have a Nikon "CoolPix" L340. It does a wonderful job most of the time, takes HiDef pics plus video with sound. It only costs $100 or so but has one drawback, which is there is no manual focus, and sometimes that's really annoying. I'd recommend if cost is an issue.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/10/2018 10:40:00 AM   
pws1225

We have a Canon PowerShot 350. Great pics and has all the characteristics you mentioned. And its small enough to fit in your pocket.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/10/2018 1:55:23 PM   
JohnDillworth

I just saw Canon release a Powershot SX740 HS that seems to tick all your boxes. Not many point and shoots out there these days as cell phones have pretty much taken over that world. I’ve used Canons before and I’m pretty happy.

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 5
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/10/2018 7:17:14 PM   
rustysi

Thanks again.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 6
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/10/2018 10:51:32 PM   
durnedwolf

This is cool. I've a friend that has one and he loves it.

https://www.taczoom.com/?mid=9375815&gclid=Cj0KCQjw77TbBRDtARIsAC4l83lQE4uhDtnhx3iKAI9VEvJLraK4NSUviZVo6vLXZcazuSypHGyAsB4aAiR6EALw_wcB

Bye for now,

DW

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/11/2018 7:39:41 AM   
inqistor

Yeah, I would say, the most important factor would be analog zoom. And you need sticking out lens. Some simple models are completely flat, and you get different pictures with that. Memory shouldn't be problem, because most are working on SD cards, anyway, and you can get some extra with you.

Just make sure, that it records in FULL HD (1080p), because you can get robbed, and output will be only 720p. And make sure, that it gets better ratio, than 4:3 (also could happen). 4K takes lots of memory, you can seek 8K if you want :)
But anyway, it would be better if it records in raw format, not already compressed, like AVI. And check how it records under low light. The best option would be 3CCD, but that is reserved for camcorders.

You shouldn't also seek too smart model, you want to be able to set white balance manually. Most of the time, automatic setting sucks.

And YOU NEED EXTRA BATTERY! If it works with AA good, but they tend to have their own models now. You definitely need extra, and already charged.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. - 8/11/2018 6:38:31 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

Yeah, I would say, the most important factor would be analog zoom. And you need sticking out lens. Some simple models are completely flat, and you get different pictures with that. Memory shouldn't be problem, because most are working on SD cards, anyway, and you can get some extra with you.

Just make sure, that it records in FULL HD (1080p), because you can get robbed, and output will be only 720p. And make sure, that it gets better ratio, than 4:3 (also could happen). 4K takes lots of memory, you can seek 8K if you want :)
But anyway, it would be better if it records in raw format, not already compressed, like AVI. And check how it records under low light. The best option would be 3CCD, but that is reserved for camcorders.

You shouldn't also seek too smart model, you want to be able to set white balance manually. Most of the time, automatic setting sucks.

And YOU NEED EXTRA BATTERY! If it works with AA good, but they tend to have their own models now. You definitely need extra, and already charged.

Good info, thanks.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT:Looking to get a digital camera for travels. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI