VP Garrison hit review?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

xhoel

VP Garrison hit review?

Post by xhoel »

I just got my turn playing the GC as the Axis against Hghx-0 and opening the VP screen I was shocked to see that I had lost 31 VP last turn from garrisons. The reason? My Garrison in Denmark was one (1!) CV point short of the required 100%. The regiment that was being transferred there was one hex shy of crossing the Danish border. To put things in retrospective the WA in 10 turns have managed to get 98 VPs from bombing. The idea of Garrison VPs is one that I like and is an elegant solution to make the Germans commit units in Western Europe but to suffer such a huge penalty for something so small is simply ridiculous and needs to be fixed.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 25 times
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Hghx-0

RE: VP Garrison hit review?

Post by Hghx-0 »

Yes, and moreover - if you get the allied landing force back into the sea after landing the garrison requirements will also get back to their standarts without any delay.
I've played recently 43-45 campaign vs AI and lost something about 400 VPs on the next turn after a succesful counter-landing offense in France, and probably would lose even more because of the transportation limits (i stoped playing after that).
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: Hghx-0

Yes, and moreover - if you get the allied landing force back into the sea after landing the garrison requirements will also get back to their standarts without any delay.
I've played recently 43-45 campaign vs AI and lost something about 400 VPs on the next turn after a succesful counter-landing offense in France, and probably would lose even more because of the transportation limits (i stoped playing after that).

Can't really blame you, it's hard not to rage quit with such mechanics.
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

I play against the AI and always ignore the VPs. I either decide on a victory condition for myself or more often than not just play the game and and leave it at that.

I realise that's harder to do when playing against another person.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

I play against the AI and always ignore the VPs. I either decide on a victory condition for myself or more often than not just play the game and and leave it at that.

I realise that's harder to do when playing against another person.

Ofc in that case you can decide for yourself if what you achieved counts as a success or a failure but that is hard to do against another human player. I still enjoy doing better than the real life Axis though, but such big hits on the VP are simply terrible.
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”