Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 3:55:00 PM   
DonCzirr

There was an old board game called Pax Britannica that was a lot of fun and gave each country scaled victory conditions
based upon their initial power (i.e. Britain and France needed high scores while Turkey and Spain needed far less)

Scanning around - I'm not seeing very many positive reviews on the subject matter for turn based computer games.

Perhaps Pride of Nations?

The scope looks good but I'm a bit wary about AGEOD games in terms of stability and support - so have held off on that one. Anyone have an opinion there?

(I always take Steam reviews with a grain of salt)

There's Colonial Conquest which was a remake of the old Commodore 64 / PC game but it's rather basic / limited.

Paradox has some titles in this era but those I will not touch since they are real-time.

Any others that you have played and enjoyed ?

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

http://www.facebook.com/KurtvonKnispel
Post #: 1
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 4:15:13 PM   
zakblood

not sure if i'm just one of the lucky ones, but tbh never once had any issues with any AGEOD games, and own the lot, regarding stability that is, and support is no different than it is here or slitherine, as it's all the same people and group.

Imperialism The Dark Continent, which is on EA (early access on steam atm, but has mixed reviews) but fit's your requirements, and as most steam reviewers can be idiots regarding EA, maybe worth a look

Imperialism II Age of Exploration, now showing it's age, as it's a 1999 game, but was very good in it's day.

Victoria II, yes a Paradox game, but maybe worth a second look, as while not new, it fits your req again.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 4:45:17 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr
Paradox has some titles in this era but those I will not touch since they are real-time.

Actually, they are "pausable" real time. This means than you can pause the game when you wish, analyse the situation, give the proper orders and then unpause the game and see the results.

If done right, pausable real time is the most realistic approach, because you are never in a hurry, but, when you un-pause, events and decisions for all nations happen simultaneously - as it happens in the real world. We are not talking about Starcraft and the likes here - if this is what you fear.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 4:56:25 PM   
DonCzirr

Thanks for the input so far ... I believe I've seen Paradox's pause and give orders mechanics with HOI 3 and they just are not for me.

I am a hard core TBS fan.

I'm glad others like it and they seem to put out a good (quality) product line - just not for me.

Thanks for the AGEOD input Zak - any preference on your side between PON and Victoria II ?

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 5:06:12 PM   
zakblood

PON tbh needs someone who has played it more, as for me i've tested it with windows 10 and played a few turns and tried some settings etc, but as in played a full game, that's a no, not yet found the time so someone else would be better to offer advice on it, and have a few friends who play Victoria II, but no i don't own it, or have seen it played at there's either, as i tend to play games i don't own at friends houses and see if i like a given game beforehand, but as yet not had the time to do Victoria II either.

played quite a bit of Imperialism II many many years ago and liked it, but times have changed and now it maybe wouldn't be as up to date and lets say PON etc either, which is miles ahead in looks and regarding AI etc

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:29:56 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

There's Colonial Conquest which was a remake of the old Commodore 64 / PC game but it's rather basic / limited.

Colonial Conquest is one of the small handful of games that stays installed on my computer. It's been a while since I last played it, but it's a very fun, and yes, simple diversion. It's been forever since I last played it against another person, perhaps as far back as when it was released for the Atari ST, around 1986.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:39:05 PM   
operating

quote:

There was an old board game called Pax Britannica that was a lot of fun and gave each country scaled victory conditions
based upon their initial power (i.e. Britain and France needed high scores while Turkey and Spain needed far less)

Scanning around - I'm not seeing very many positive reviews on the subject matter for turn based computer games.

Perhaps Pride of Nations?

The scope looks good but I'm a bit wary about AGEOD games in terms of stability and support - so have held off on that one. Anyone have an opinion there?

(I always take Steam reviews with a grain of salt)

Any others that you have played and enjoyed ?

Hi Don,

Like you, I have similar interests. Have tou tried Empire Total War? It gives the player the feel of the pre-Napololeonic Period and can go into the 1800's if you so choose, but not what the game was set up for. Personally, it's by far my favorite in spite of it's nuances. Looked at some Age of Empire stuff too, however some games seemed a bit cumbersome with no hands on battle situations. Agree with your AGEOD assessment.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:52:23 PM   
zakblood

just loaded PON

plenty of options, and rules to alter if you wish, so can make it easier or harder, or let the AI do more or less etc to help you etc etc

FOW on or off etc, in fact there's so many options at startup that tbh you need to read the manual or maybe play the tutorial first to understand how to setup the main campaign before you play, the UI is easy, as there's plenty of tool tips hover overs to remind you what does what etc

plenty of settings to alter how the game looks and plays, speed wise and the normal sound ones etc

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/8/2018 6:57:35 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:53:40 PM   
zakblood

play with any side shown

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:54:27 PM   
zakblood

runs out of the box / install once patched to the latest version at full screen in windows 10

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:54:53 PM   
zakblood

and looks nice to boot

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/8/2018 6:55:07 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 6:56:02 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

Colonial Conquest is one of the small handful of games that stays installed on my computer. It's been a while since I last played it, but it's a very fun, and yes, simple diversion. It's been forever since I last played it against another person, perhaps as far back as when it was released for the Atari ST, around 1986.

I used to play it back in the day as well. Back then it was great but now, after playing games like

Commander The Great War, it seems a bit basic.

I keep it permanently on my iPAD where it competes well with just about everything else since most games on that platform
include shopping for Gems or Gold coins.

@ Operating - the Total War games have RTS style battles that go against by TBS belief systems which is too

bad since some of the turn based elements seem quite nice.

< Message edited by DonCzirr -- 8/8/2018 6:59:30 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 9:29:52 PM   
Aurelian

I think in PoN that there is something that affects the US negatively.

Played both Imperialism and Imperialism II many, many, times. I still have the latter, and it runs on Win10.

"I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus, a slice of lemon. And a shot of tequila."

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 13
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/8/2018 9:45:37 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Played both Imperialism and Imperialism II many, many, times. I still have the latter, and it runs on Win10.

Could you clarify what you mean Aurelian about :

"... in PoN that there is something that affects the US negatively".

Do you mean playing the US as a nation?

Or technical issues for US based players?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 14
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/9/2018 8:00:45 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Could you clarify what you mean Aurelian about :

"... in PoN that there is something that affects the US negatively".

Do you mean playing the US as a nation?

Or technical issues for US based players?

Playing as.

"I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus, a slice of lemon. And a shot of tequila."

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 15
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/10/2018 1:03:01 AM   
bobarossa

I still have Imperialism 2 on my computer and play it at least once a year. The graphics have held up well.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 16
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/12/2018 4:32:46 PM   
DonCzirr

Thanks for the advice on Imperialism - just picked up 1 and 2 for under $10.00 on GOG.

For those who have played Imperialism 2 a lot: From your game play experience, is the whole trading / industrialism / diplomacy slanted path a viable strategy ?

Or is aggressive conquest the only real means to victory ?

(in reply to bobarossa)
Post #: 17
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/12/2018 5:19:00 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Thanks for the advice on Imperialism - just picked up 1 and 2 for under $10.00 on GOG.

For those who have played Imperialism 2 a lot: From your game play experience, is the whole trading / industrialism / diplomacy slanted path a viable strategy ?

Or is aggressive conquest the only real means to victory ?

Victory is controlling more than half the Old World. You can do it by diplomacy. But you'll get nowhere without the resources of the New World.

https://archive.kontek.net/dailyimperialist.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/imp2/index.htm

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 8/12/2018 5:21:48 PM >

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 18
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/12/2018 5:40:44 PM   
DonCzirr

Excellent - thanks.

I am sick of Zerg rush cheap military unit spamming games.

From the Imperialism II manual it seemed like the trading / industry / diplomacy path was viable - but such things don't always work out in other games that advertise the same experience.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 19
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/12/2018 7:52:26 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Excellent - thanks.

I am sick of Zerg rush cheap military unit spamming games.

From the Imperialism II manual it seemed like the trading / industry / diplomacy path was viable - but such things don't always work out in other games that advertise the same experience.

Get the official strategy guide if you can. It will be well worth it.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 20
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/15/2018 8:11:50 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Wow

I can't believe I had missed AGEOD Pon. I own and played to death almost every title but for some reason this one went unnoticed.

Bought it yesterday and as expected, a deep, intelligent simulation.

Don't ask me why, but for some reason I will love masquerading as a greedy imperialist pigdog

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 21
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/15/2018 12:24:20 PM   
DonCzirr

LOL

I just bought:

Imperialism 1 and 2
Victoria 2 (was 4.99 on Steam)
and
PON

Guess that makes me an imperialist pigbear

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 22
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/16/2018 2:10:21 AM   
goodwoodrw

I just bought PON I'm still edging my way into it. My biggest issue I have with the game is its font size, an issue that plagues AGEOD games right through their catalogue of games. If someone knows if the fonts can be enlarged I sure I would appreciate if they can tell how to fix it.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 23
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/16/2018 3:01:12 AM   
jwarrenw13

I think PON is a great game with one big problem. The biggest problem I had and the reason I stopped playing it was the big several minutes lag time between turns.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 24
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/16/2018 3:52:03 AM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

I just bought PON I'm still edging my way into it. My biggest issue I have with the game is its font size, an issue that plagues AGEOD games right through their catalogue of games. If someone knows if the fonts can be enlarged I sure I would appreciate if they can tell how to fix it.

I have not gotten deep enough to have any significant issues with time between turns but agree with the above.

I went fishing for options to enlarge the Font and then only found an option to make it even smaller !

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 25
RE: Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? - 8/16/2018 5:23:30 AM   
Anachro

Victoria 1. Victoria 2 is a good sandbox game, but if you want a more historical Victorian era game with more historical outcomes, it's probably better to play Victoria 1.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Game about Victorian Era / Age of Imperialism ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI