Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small step for Japan?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small step for Japan? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small ste... - 8/7/2018 9:46:48 PM   
peskpesk

The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small step for Japan?
Japan now controls Batavia, Singapore, Manilla and Rabou and Truk, the defensive parameter is safe. What is the next step for Japan when a promising big offensive against any of Australia,Hawaii and India is unlikely when resistance is too hard from the Allies. Although a smaller campaign but with a smaller goal , like Burma, Midway etc, is possible. Priorities, suggestions?

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/8/2018 5:56:34 AM >

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Post #: 1
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/8/2018 10:12:13 PM   
Centuur

That's always a problem for Japan. The moment you've got the things you really need to continue the war for as long as possible, it's the Allies who really say what you can or cannot do. Good Allied play will make sure that you can't succesfully attack the mentioned prizes like India, Australia and Hawaii (or Pago Pago).

Midway can end being a death trap. An unlucky Japanese admiral might lose valuable CV's or TRS there. Burma? Only if you can get Rangoon easily. But if there is a nice CW white print unit together with the Burmese MIL in that city, forget it...

But you've forgotten to mention your first enemy. China! What about Chiang and Mao? If you keep them under pressure, you're doing enough. But killing of Chinese units faster than they can build? Hey: you just gave the Allies a problem.
Apart from that, let your fleet and marines be "in being". That's to say: look for opportunities. Start building for defense. Especially land based NAV and FTR's are the best units you've got to keep your precious convoys alive.

Port Moresby is a nice port to become Japanese controlled. And also: don't forget to conquer the British possessions within your perimeter like Brunei.

And if it looks like the Germans are really pushing the Soviets back to the Urals and will conquer the Caucasian oil fields, Siberia will be stripped of Soviet troops. And look: there are a couple of nice resources waiting to fill the Japanese factories...

But most important: don't take any unnecessary risks. Keep your troops alive and the convoys rolling of the shipyards...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 8/8/2018 10:14:14 PM >

Peter

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 2
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/9/2018 3:40:04 AM   
Courtenay

For quite a while, Japan and the US are at approximate naval parity. For both sides, there is a strong temptation to do something. However, this temptation should, in general, be avoided. The reason is that the second side to move between two forces with naval parity in a wide open theater (i.e., the Pacific, not the Med) has a significant advantage. If the first side puts a majority of its forces in one area, than the second player can attack every place else, while if the first player puts a substantial, but not decisive force into an area, the second player can respond with stronger forces.

This is particularly true of the Japanese. The last thing they want to do is to get into a war of attrition with the US; that can't do anything but end badly for the Japanese. Make the Americans (and I mean Americans) come to you, where you can react to them, and have the advantage. If the Americans do it too early, then they will be the ones in trouble; if they wait until it is too late, they won't have time to win the war.

Once they have their defensive perimeter, then the Japanese don't have to do anything; the Allies have to do things, and your goal should be to punish them when they do. Remember, "defense is the stronger form of war".

(I am not talking about submarines here -- those are to be used, because they can't be counterattacked.)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/9/2018 6:40:34 AM   
paulderynck

The Japanese should build every NAV and FTR they have and position them in places where they can fly or react into multiple sea zones.

Paul

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 4
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/9/2018 7:32:05 AM   
peskpesk

Excellent sugestions!

But what is the next expansion step? (When Australia, Hawaii and India is not possible.)

JP has until about mid 42 to expand

Priorities?

- Midway. It is a valuable airbase for the US comeback.
- Dutch Harbor (Objective).
- Pago Pago (Objective).
- Wake Island. It is a decent airbase for the US comeback.
- Columbo (Objective).
- Burma
- New Caledonia
- Guadalcanal
- Port Moresby

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/9/2018 8:23:56 AM >

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 5
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/9/2018 3:07:23 PM   
Centuur

I would not make a list of priorities. That's because it all depends on what defenses there are in the places you are mentioning.

The question one should ask when playing the Axis is this one: "how am I going to survive until the july-august 1945 turn ends, now that I've reached my first strategic goals" and not: "what area's do I want to move into, now that I've reached my first strategic goals".

The Axis can overextend themselves. It's usually better (especially for the Japanese) to stay put and simply look at possibilities which will or will not present itself. Therefore, I would focus on keeping the Chinese busy and make sure your perimeter becomes stronger and stronger by building for defense. And if the Allies are stupid enough to give you the opportunity to grab one of those places you've mentioned, go for it.

But a good Allied player has by now build out his CW infantry pools (except for the TERR) and there are boots on the floor in all places that matter. Not enough to make a possible move into Japanese held territory, but enough to make you loose precious units if you are stupid enough to invade somewhere.

Peter

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 6
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/9/2018 9:22:08 PM   
Courtenay

Yes. A major Japanese enemy in late '42 is boredom -- the feeling that they should be doing something. There is a very good chance that they shouldn't. The Americans are the ones who have to do something, and the Japanese doing something actually makes its easier for the Americans. Wait for the Americans to do something, and then react. If the Americans send out weak forces, attack them; if they send out strong forces, attack somewhere else.

This is particularly true if the limited overseas supply rule is being used, because that rules ensures that both sides will have a lot of possible places to attack, if the other side concentrates in one area. I recommenend
this rule.

I also recommend in the presences of the enemy -- BOTH Japan and the US want this rule in the Pacific, because it stops the other side from doing truly ridiculous raids.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 7
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/12/2018 3:11:30 AM   
brian brian

Take Wake Island
Hold the Marshalls in strength too
Bring the comvoys home, turn after turn after turn
Don’t build combat ships, just repair them
Empty the ground unit force pools
Empty the FTR & NAV pools; game the rules system by garrisoning Partisan-possible rear areas with short range FTR (they will end up in combat eventually anyway); scrap short range FTR losses and keep all the Zeroes on the board, always
When the ground situation in China is stable, take an air impulse to maximize air unit placement
Keep a stack of MAR and the IJN BB fleet ready to counterattack disorganized USMC beacheads
Raid things
Keep Mao off the North China Plain using LND
When Mao makes it on to the Plain anyways, blitz his disorganized spearheads

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 8
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/12/2018 8:02:07 PM   
Orm

Don't you put your bases out of supply when you bring your convoys to port? And don't that hinder reorganization if there are disorganized units on those bases??

Intend attacking at dawn high water.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 9
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 8/13/2018 9:33:24 PM   
brian brian

I just meant deliver the Resources, Resources, Resources to the Home Islands, every turn - that was the whole point of the "Strike South" - to get enough resources to maintain a solid war footing against Japan's mortal enemies (which is basically everyone in the world not born in Japan). Defend those sea zones with naval air and surface assets in multiple boxes, just as the CW does, and make sure the Allies can't get a hex within land-based air range of them for as absolutely long as possible.

No, don't return the Convoy Points to base every turn.

If you need another project in 1942, remember to take Christmas Island, just off Java, away from the CW, or you just might see some Allied airplanes in the South China Sea all of a sudden...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10
RE: The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small... - 12/5/2018 10:01:22 AM   
Cohen_slith

Midway I'd avoid. Trouble to keep in supply, adds a Sea Zone to the CP pipeline without adding much to Japanese defensive value.
Dutch Harbour is something I'd evaluate mostly to divert Allied forces later on.

But consolidated the perimeter I'd actually passively wait - it has been pointed out why. In '42 there is a rough naval parity and the first side that goes into the range of the enemy LBAs is at risk of losing more assets. Something that Japan cannot afford.

In the while Japan can pummel on China, eventually Sovietland if hard pressed by Germany, grab more resources and / or factories while preserving their fleet intact for the harsher times.
The naval aspect just makes it important to control all the ports and minor locations on some sea zones (which I'd include Timor Sea excluding the Australian end).
To secure all the spots around the Solomons is something I consider important too - to threaten both Pago Pago and Fiji of port strike (in case the Allies park carriers there - but that's an usual mistake since these are ports that can have only 1 SZ as wayout).

And to take the various possessions within the perimeter is important too.
Small things like Christmas Island can turn out to be a pain in that place later on (That's the one south of Batavia. Just wait for when the Allies bring there a long range FTR that then hops into a high box of South China Sea; maybe along with a flying boat NAV!)

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> The defensive parameter is safe, What is next small step for Japan? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI