Anyone still playing this game?

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
Champagne

Anyone still playing this game?

Post by Champagne »

I'm in the market for a game covering this topic.

This one seems manageable, i.e. not too big.

Does it run well on Windows 7?

Thanks.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
Wee Sodjer

RE: Anyone still playing this game?

Post by Wee Sodjer »

Hi, I play this regularly and thoroughly enjoy it; however, I run it on Windows 10 64bit, so I am unable to advise on Windows 7.

Warmest regards,
James O'Neill
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I have watched the first Tutorial and a question arises:

Is there a campaign scenario that allows the player to fight the whole of the Napoleonic Wars from 1805 to 1815?

I get the impression that the 1805 campaign included in the game ends once the player has defeated the Coalition of Britain Austria and Russia. This means that there is no continuation of the scenario into 1806 and a possible confrontation with Prussia.

Thanks.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

From a gameplay perspective this is probably still my favorite Matrix Games game so I certainly recommend it, though I haven't played it in a long time now.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I just started playing. Looks promising.

Seems quite stable on Windows 8.1
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Does it run well on Windows 7?

The game runs very well on Win 7.
Is there a campaign scenario that allows the player to fight the whole of the Napoleonic Wars from 1805 to 1815?

Basically, each scenario does that. What changes is the starting position and diplomatic state and the maximum number of years that the game will run.

The game will end if Napoleon achieves complete victory or if Napoleon is eliminated. Otherwise each scenario runs a certain number of years. Either way, at the end a level of victory or defeat is assigned based on points. For example, the 1800 and the 1805 scenarios will run until 1815 (unless a total victory is achieved before then).

Edit: the game can also end if Paris is occupied for a sufficient number of turns. That length in part depends on the level of difficulty. In this case Napoleon can be exiled.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: HeinzHarald

From a gameplay perspective this is probably still my favorite Matrix Games game so I certainly recommend it, though I haven't played it in a long time now.

Same here. I'm learning Scourge of War Waterloo at the moment but plan to return to this game soon.
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings Champange,
I recently picked this up rather than Empires in Arms or Wars of Napoleon. It plays very well on Win 10 and is easily manageable for Napoleonic strategy with tactical battles(can be handled automatically if you choose). Turns do not take long to plan and play out. I like the event cards and diplomacy model too.
The game has that one more turn feel for me. Be sure to go through the tutorials (video format).
Makes a nice break from Scourge of War: Waterloo and John Tiller Napoleonic battle series.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Good move avoiding Empire in Arms. Paradox's March of the Eagles is also incredibly detailed and incredibly cheap - $5 or less during sales at gamersgate.com, etc.
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings Rosseau,
Watched March of the Eagles videos & AARs and agree it is good. BUT, I have a love/hate relationship with Paradox using steam so no sale.
Besides, I have Victory & Glory now to fill the need.
Treefrog

Post by Treefrog »

Games operates on Windows 7 for me.
Scenarios includea 1800, 1805, 1809, 1813. I love all things Napoleonic but nonetheless this one seems
like a beer & pretzels experience.
The magic of the game is the intersection of interesting aspects: simple production, opportunity for Napoleon to influence political affairs.
A delightful "card" system that allows Nappy to raise extra troops, upgrade troops, influence politics, etc. This system
insures that no two games are ever the same.
However with frequent replaying I confess the game seems a little like Napoleonic "wack a mole".
"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”