Strange Replacement Surge

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HansBolter

Strange Replacement Surge

Post by HansBolter »

I just noticed a strange replacement surge way beyond normal TOE for a unit in a back water spot that I had not examined for months.

Several moths back I was engaged in picking up the island bases between Timor and Java on the cheap with Naval Construction Battalions.
In the DBB based mod I am playing, Andy Mac's Ironman Nasty ported to Babes (scenario #40) the Seabees have an assault value equal to 1 point for every Naval Construction Squad.
The battalions have an AV of 12 while the regiments have 36.

I landed a battalion long ago at Waingapoe and found a garrison too strong for the Seabee to take.

I left it there, never bothering to reinforce and moved on with my conquest of the DEI. Java has been taken by a combined Aussie/Kiwi army with only Soerbaja left to conquer.

I happened to examine the unit at Waingapoe for the first time in many turns and discovered that it has been beefed up way beyond normal TOE to 48 assault value.

It may be able to take the base on its own now.

Screen shot of mega Seabee:

Attachments
SeaBeeOversize.jpg
SeaBeeOversize.jpg (272.48 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Hans

HansBolter

RE: Strange Replacement Surge

Post by HansBolter »

Normal Seabee TOE:

Attachments
SeaBeeTOE.jpg
SeaBeeTOE.jpg (272.42 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Hans

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

I see it often with LCUs sitting in an enemy hex receiving bombardments or other minor damage now and then. Divisions will then display 101%+ TOE after a while. Never seen this kind of extreme though, apart from LCUs preset to beefed up TOEs by the scenario
dasboot1960

Post by dasboot1960 »

These look like the same unit(?)
Down like a CLOWN!
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Every now and then, a unit decides to super size.

I occasionally sort by load values or TOE percentage to catch them. It can be a quite nice bonus.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Wondering if fragmentation of the unit has anything to do with it.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

+1
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: dasboot1960

These look like the same unit(?)
Yes, the second picture is of the TOE screen of the unit.
This view is accessed by clicking the Show Unit TOE text near the bottom center of the first picture. The text is red in the TOE view.
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

The fragmentation came via the fast transport delivery leaving behind the heavy euipment.

The heavy equipment present and all the ovearge of construction squads has come from replacements pulled from the overage of supply I dumped into the beachead with subsequent fast transport missions.
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Interesting thought. I have seen units take alternate support devices when there are not enough of the TOE devices available - e.g. when there are not enough vehicles in the pool to fill out the motorized support TOE, regular support squads can increase beyond TOE - and vice versa.

The shortage of vehicles could lead the game engine to substitute what it does have - Naval Engineer Squads. Not only substitute up to the number of missing vehicles, but keep substituting as long as there is a shortfall. I have never seen this kind of substitution between a support device and a combat device, but I suppose the game engine might not be prohibited from doing that.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I honestly think it's just most likely a small bug that only occurs some of the time with unit fragments.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”