De-select

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
mariandavid

De-select

Post by mariandavid »

How do I remove selection from an unit - so that as I wander over the map looking at terrain I do not have that line of movement perpetually following me. I can of course + and - to another unit but then its line of movement follows. There is probably an obvious answer but I cannot find it.
cpt flam

RE: De-select

Post by cpt flam »

there is no way to deselect unit
you can select a static one (if there is any)
second solution would be to put the arrow over strategic map and move the tactical map with arrows (under Enter)
hingram

Post by hingram »

You can deselect a unit by selecting another unit.
Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.
mariandavid

Post by mariandavid »

Thanks all - static unit being hunted. I do wish some update would fix this - surely it is simple coding change using some unused letter or numerate.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

It is not a simple change, there are things that require a unit to be selected. I used to know them but after many years I have now forgotten. Ralph has stated that he will look into it, but don't expect an 'easy fix'.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It is not a simple change, there are things that require a unit to be selected.
The way Ralph explained it there's a need to have a unit selected at all times because some of the dialogs highlight the selected unit in white text while the rest of the lines are normal text. Also, the operations found on the right-click pop up menu have to be applied to a specific unit. The short answer is that it's not easy "fixing" the selected unit "problem". A lot of us have just gotten used to it and don't even notice the trail of path arrows any longer. It's embarassing to have a finger twitch click on the map and accidently move the unit to a spot not desired though.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

A lot of us have just gotten used to it
This is very true, I never thought it was an issue at all. Then I spent some time playing a game where if you right click on a blank hex it de-selects the unit. It took me no time to get used to that. When I returned to TOAW, it was nasty bad aggravating and took me a while to get used to no de-select again. Therefore, I am sympathetic to those who don't have experience with TOAW or something similar.

Plus, as I've said before, the change to HUGE RED movement arrows for TOAW IV makes it worse. I posted the alternate arrows that I use somewhere, I'll see if I can find a link.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I don't know where it is, so I just put it here in Posts #7 and #8:
tm.asp?m=4395821&mpage=1&key=&#4515497

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”