A range for Tactical Reserves ?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
rob89

A range for Tactical Reserves ?

Post by rob89 »

As you well know, Tactical Reserves react to enemy attacks only into adjacent locations while Local Reserves attempt to react to enemy attacks into locations within the movement radius.

So, the first one has a very limited range (generally can't cover its formation's front), while the second one can create big problems, going far away from its actual mission.

Why not in next patches a "range" parameter (like the new one of aircraft) to manage the area of intervention ?
Cabido

RE: A range for Tactical Reserves ?

Post by Cabido »

+1

I have already defended this idea more than once. Tactical and Local Reserves could bring a much more rich experience to the game, since they allow to "intervene" in the opposing players turn. But as they stand now, we don't have too much control of what will happen. A range would make thing much better and an arch of activation would make it perfect. Just let a text box for range and 6 check boxed for directions based on the hex vertices. The player would select the acceptable directions for a reaction: NE, E, SE, SW, W NW.

Suppose I select E and SE and range 2, the unit (U) would react only if the attack was carried on the following arch (*):

...\__/..\__/ *\
.__/..\__/ *\__/
/..\__/ u\__/ *\
\__/..\__/ *\__/
/..\__/ *\__/ *\
\__/..\__/ *\__/
/..\__/ *\__/
\__/..\__/
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Hi Guys,

That does sound like a very good idea.
Mike

Retired Gunner
TheeWarLord

Post by TheeWarLord »

Since we are on topic, question? Does local reserve movement use any of your movement points allowance? And if you place your units on your turn on local reserve, but you have expended all of your movement allowance, will they respond on your opponents turn?
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

From what i know, movement points are reset each phase.
Your supply will be affected so a bit of care can be taken.
hingram

Post by hingram »

My guess is that they are using the same variable for both. They really should be separated i.e. movement_range and artillery_range
Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: hingram

My guess is that they are using the same variable for both. They really should be separated i.e. movement_range and artillery_range
I would have thought so too, so I looked into it and what 'dya know, they ARE separate variables.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: TheeWarLord
Since we are on topic, question? Does local reserve movement use any of your movement points allowance?
Yes, it does.
ORIGINAL: TheeWarLord
And if you place your units on your turn on local reserve, but you have expended all of your movement allowance, will they respond on your opponents turn?
No. They have to have MP's to move at all.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”