Conflict of Heroes on Laptop Question

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

rommel222

Conflict of Heroes on Laptop Question

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
I installed the Conflict of Heroes v1.18 Demo on my Toshiba i5 w/8 GB ram and intel 4200 integrated graphics chip on motherboard. Demo runs fine at 1920 x 1080 with either 3D or 2D mode and the game is very good and follows the boardgame version well (excellent game system).
If the demo runs alright, will the full version run alright on the same laptop?

Thanks in advance for any insights you have,
An elderly gamer
zakblood

RE: Conflict of Heroes on Laptop Question

Post by zakblood »

the demo isn't the latest version either, so yes imo it should, as it works well with windows 10, a later o/s so there should be little issues with it, apart from the integrated graphics etc, but as it works now in the demo, there's nothing newer in the game which would alter the fact, but no promises either

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/473 ... s.of.Steel

but as the game does say Video/Graphics: 1GB DirectX 9.0c Dedicated Video Card

there would be little chance of a refund if it didn't
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings zakblood,
Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate your experience and efforts here in all the matrix forums. I did notice that v1.18 uses a bit less video memory than current v1.39 in the technical help subforum. However, I will not be using 3D animations but overhead 2D chit board game graphics similar to LnL Heros of Stalingrad. I could also lower the laptop screen resolution and/or use low res game option.
Amazon has Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear (boxed version) for $14.99 with free shipping so I went for it. I will let you know how it turns out.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's a great game, so glad you have it now, if you run into any issues, i will try and help you sort them out, good luck
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings Again zakblood,
Received the boxed copy of Conflict of Heroes w/color manual too. Installed from the disk with no problems. At V 1.39.55 and the game runs fine using my laptop resolution of 1920 x 1080 in chit counter boardgame mode. Nice alternative to Tigers on the Hunt and LnL Heroes of Stalingrad also on my computer.
Played both small and large scenarios with no problems. Only glitch is the matrix auto updater. It works fine on the vast majority of my games but not this one. I will just use a manual download of future patches (looks like there is a V 1.42 in the subforum).

Perhaps others who have an older laptop might be able to have similar success.

Based on Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear successfully running on my 2014 Toshiba laptop, I ordered the Storms of Steel boxed version from amazon at $29.99 with free shipping.

I will get the Ghost Divisions DLC at some point as well.

Thanks for your assistance again zakblood.

rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to zakblood Once Again,
Received boxed version of Storms of Steel and installed (V 139) from the disk.
Game runs fine and played various scenarios. Awakening the bear scenarios show up with no problem.
So Ghost Divisions is next.

I checked my integrated graphics chip display properties and it can access up to 2278 MB from shared memory. I suspect laptop bios settings will only allow half of that to keep temperature down.
Seems my laptop can get roughly 1 GB which is great for Conflict of Heroes.
But I would not try to run Field of Glory 2 on it, would at best be extremely slow even at lowest graphics/resolution settings.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

with laptops, to assign more power, turn off this

Attachments
hdd power 0.jpg
hdd power 0.jpg (186.45 KiB) Viewed 667 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

then change this

and of course always run off mains, then you should be able to to get the full power of the cpu, not a 30/40% drop, which power saving alone will do, as it's saving the battery that way by slowing everything down and keeping things working a bit cooler
Attachments
power max.jpg
power max.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 667 times
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings Once More zakblood,
Thanks for your suggestions and screenshots. I will give them a go.
However, I will eventually get a new computer w/discrete graphics when I retire from teaching college physics & astronomy in another year.

I had all my last 5 desktop computers custom built by Falcon Northwest every 3 to 4 years. But after 15 years I decided on a Toshiba laptop at 1/3 the price. It has served very well to date but is now "very long in the tooth". I donated my desktops to family and friends, after each upgrade model, to start them off for either college or trade school.

I think it is my turn again [:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

even in the UK iv'e heard of them, some great pc makers from the states, in the past i've had custom built ones, but tbh for what i do now, anything off the shelf will do so no longer go for the expense either
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings zakblood,
Took advantage of the holiday sale to pick up Ghost Division expansion.
Only problem was I needed to upgrade from Conflict of Heroes v1.39 to v1.42 in order to install it.
Runs fine and may try some of the user made mods/scenarios eventually for Conflict of Heroes.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”