The Armchair General's Tale -IJ SURRENDERS- (dontra85 (IJ) vs modrow (A)) - no dontra85, please

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

modrow

The Armchair General's Tale -IJ SURRENDERS- (dontra85 (IJ) vs modrow (A)) - no dontra85, please

Post by modrow »

Gentlemen,

welcome to this thread.

This AAR exists because of a legendary (and much disputed) operation of my freshly acquired IJ-opponent (dontra85), who pulled off a limited West-coast invasion, conquering Portland for a while and thus inducing a dent to Allied late war OOB.

His original opponent did not feel he wanted to continue this, so NY59Giants stepped in to keep the game alive because of the interesting consequences this may have, for his reports see here

tm.asp?m=4476852

He decided recently not to continue, quite possibly because of no longer being used to the atrocities of a stock game, see his “Invasion USA” thread that is linked above for details.

Whereas there are definitely a number of problems to solve, this is not a hopeless case per se, but may cause a refreshing variation of the campaign developments we always see. In fact, I feel the overall situation is that interesting that I decided to step in – at a slow pace, because of involvement in other PBEMs, but so that the community can see how this plays out.

My thanks to Michael (NY59Giants) and Donald (dontra85) for making this possible. Also, to get this going, in needed a download from the member’s section, which resulted in a new forum name – previously, I was hartwig.modrow.

So if you want to join, please do!

Hartwig
modrow

General introduction

Post by modrow »

Gentlemen,

Recently, my impression is that there is less to read in these forums than in the good old days. When the morning coffee lasts longer than the study of the must-read AARs, something is wrong and something has to change.

This is my attempt to contribute to such change. Of course, there are lots of caveats. Typically, I am notoriously short of time – job, kids, never-ending honey-do lists, some much needed time for workout and PBEMs, so I have no idea how regular posts in this thread will be. Possibly, the best incentive for me to write is to see feedback and discussion illustrating people are actually interested in this.

I am neither a great writer – no story AAR, sorry !- nor a great general/admiral –no tactical, operational or strategic innovations for the peanut gallery, sorry again. But of course, any such contribution to this thread is most welcome.

As much as I love playing this game and the original WitP, during the 10+ years that I play it I realized that even though I believe my understanding of the engine is decent, my generalship is probably not, and as such, I qualify perfectly as an armchair general (thus the title of this thread). My aim is always to learn, to improve and to have fun even when being beaten because there is a remote chance I’ll learn from my mistakes. Therefore, feel free to propose, discuss, question and criticize.

So rally to the flags of the Allied, AFB’s, and let’s see whether we can prevent IJ from winning.

Hartwig
modrow

Intel screen

Post by modrow »

Gentlemen,

to give you something to ponder about, in this last post for tonight I will present the intel screen of the current turn, April 8, 1942.

Hartwig

Attachments
intel_screen.jpg
intel_screen.jpg (164.4 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Bif1961

RE: Intel screen

Post by Bif1961 »

If you take 4,000 VP off for all the ships that were destroyed Coast you are actually doing well in all other areas. I am happy you are picking this up as it was intriguing how the Allied player would overcome this type of damaged caused by the destruction of so many future vessels especially CVEs. I am looking forward to see how you play around this handicap. good luck and good hunting.
modrow

Post by modrow »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

If you take 4,000 VP off for all the ships that were destroyed Coast you are actually doing well in all other areas. I am happy you are picking this up as it was intriguing how the Allied player would overcome this type of damaged caused by the destruction of so many future vessels especially CVEs. I am looking forward to see how you play around this handicap. good luck and good hunting.

Bif1961

Thanks for posting and following along - a quick reply, more facts will hopefully follow tonight. Yes, there are numerous facts that I really like when looking at my current situation.

My current impression is that it is questionable in game terms (i.e. if one were to obey auto victory) whether this game will see the time when those ship losses are really going to kick in. Either this ends in a IJ autovictory in early 43 or IJ will lose control over the DEI in 43, leading (hopefully) to economic collapse.

Some of the "doing well" may turn out to be VPs that can/will still be gained by IJ, and some of the "doing well" is paid for by a war that so far has not been very bloody (which means the Allied VP count does not include not too many permanent VPs).

As I said, I hope to be able to provide some more facts tonight, so that speculations will be more founded.

Hartwig
obvert

Post by obvert »

Good to see you back and taking this one on. I was interested fro the previous discussions, and I think it's a fun game to continue as you say, for the sake of trying something not seen so often.

I'll be following along for sure.

The forum is a bit less active than in the past, and I think the AAR section could use more comments added. Just a question, quick note or anything for those who are writing to see that, as you say, someone is reading and it's still worth doing. I used to love all of the discussions that would come up in the AARs.

I heard there were some setbacks in China recently due to massive stacks, and it'll be tough there for a bit, but it'll go the other way eventually as well! [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Alfred

RE: General introduction

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: modrow

Gentlemen,

Recently, my impression is that there is less to read in these forums than in the good old days. When the morning coffee lasts longer than the study of the must-read AARs, something is wrong and something has to change...

Well whose fault is that. You did somewhat abruptly cease to update your 2011 AAR. The strategy club members resting in their red Chesterfields always looked forward to reading the latest news with their cognac, or in your case a Highlands malt.

Alfred
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

... Typically, I am notoriously short of time – job, kids, never-ending honey-do lists, some much needed time for workout and PBEMs, so I have no idea how regular posts in this thread will be...

Excuses... excuses...

1. I see no mention of you playing WitG:AE, so that immediately frees up considerable time to play and write an AE AAR.

2. Your children are now aged 10 and 8. They are now old enough to mow the lawn and build up their strength for the snow shovelling season. Just remember to maintain the home off limits to the inlaws.

3. Surely seven years on you have made partner level by now. Partners key responsibilities are to duchess clients and keep tabs on the cashflows; undertaking actual work is delegated fully to the underlings.

4. Surely the labour market in Germany is no longer as tight as it was just a few years ago. It must be possible to hire, at a competitive rate, others to do those honey-do lists.

Alfred
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

... Typically, I am notoriously short of time – job, kids, never-ending honey-do lists, some much needed time for workout and PBEMs, so I have no idea how regular posts in this thread will be...

Excuses... excuses...

1. I see no mention of you playing WitG:AE, so that immediately frees up considerable time to play and write an AE AAR.

2. Your children are now aged 10 and 8. They are now old enough to mow the lawn and build up their strength for the snow shovelling season. Just remember to maintain the home off limits to the inlaws.

3. Surely seven years on you have made partner level by now. Partners key responsibilities are to duchess clients and keep tabs on the cashflows; undertaking actual work is delegated fully to the underlings.

4. Surely the labour market in Germany is no longer as tight as it was just a few years ago. It must be possible to hire, at a competitive rate, others to do those honey-do lists.

Alfred
One has to prioritize the important things in life. [:D]
modrow

Post by modrow »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Excuses... excuses...

Alfred

Alfred,

excellent to have you along. Also, another excellent display of your encyclopedic knowledge about everything that was ever written in these forums. I truly look forward to reprimands to come, because I am honestly of the opinion that there may be a chance that finally I learn something from them. At least I try hard.

Speaking of learning - I am the one who regrets most the aprupt ending of my previous AAR, because I learned a lot from that game (but of course not enough by far), even if it was brief. I was doing turns too slowly for my esteemed opponent. Of course, I could have continued with made-up events, but everyone would have noted the sudden lack of brilliance. Nemo121 leaving these forums was a severe loss. But that is another story.

However, unfortunately not all of your above assessments are correct. For example, as you may know, minimum wage in Germany is 8,84€ per hour. My local supermarket is currently looking for a store helper (no real qualification needed, apart from using a broom and being physically able to restock the shelves). They offer now 12€ per hour and still don't find anyone.

Hartwig
modrow

Post by modrow »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Good to see you back and taking this one on. I was interested fro the previous discussions, and I think it's a fun game to continue as you say, for the sake of trying something not seen so often.

I'll be following along for sure.

The forum is a bit less active than in the past, and I think the AAR section could use more comments added. Just a question, quick note or anything for those who are writing to see that, as you say, someone is reading and it's still worth doing. I used to love all of the discussions that would come up in the AARs.

I heard there were some setbacks in China recently due to massive stacks, and it'll be tough there for a bit, but it'll go the other way eventually as well! [;)]

Obvert,

thanks for posting. You AARs are on my must read list, and I will try to reciprocate [:)]

Re. China - I will post a China situation map soon, but not today. When I do, you will see that NY59Giants did a good job stopping IJ cold (maybe a bit too far forward), but by concentration of force and, of course, armor now an important roadblock on the good road to Sian is essentially broken (still holds due to entrenchent). Currently, it's a race whether I get some troops blocking other approaches to Sian on worse roads back in time. But that's fun as well.

Hartwig
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

In China, the northern flank 'may be' vulnerable. There was some activity around Lanchow, but a large Corp is up there now. Just need some supply at Chungking to allow soaking up of rifle squad replacements.
[center]Image[/center]
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I, too, have noticed that the forums are a bit less active than they used to be - and this is only comparing them to how they were when I joined three years ago! There seem to be less AARs actively updated every day than there used to be by an order of magnitude. I always try to read every one, but of course, I have not been as good about commenting on them. I shall try to do my part and comment more into the future.

I, too, am interested in seeing how this one develops.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
modrow

Theatre Map (bases)

Post by modrow »

Gentlemen,

having duchessed some active contributors to this AAR, I would now like to provide you with yet another bit of information before I log out to run the next turn: The map, displaying base ownership only (no units). You will sense opportunity when looking at it (I do), but do not get too excited just yet. There are still problems to solve before opportunity can be used.

So, here's the strategic map:

Hartwig
Attachments
strategicmap.jpg
strategicmap.jpg (185.21 KiB) Viewed 766 times
modrow

IJ ship losses

Post by modrow »

Gentlemen,

let's continue to provide some facts about the current status in the game. After the (very nice) strategic map, here's something that is less positive: IJ ship losses are relatively low. At least in my other games as Allied at this point of time they used to be higher.

Hartwig

Attachments
IJ_shipslost.jpg
IJ_shipslost.jpg (437.85 KiB) Viewed 766 times
modrow

Allied ship losses

Post by modrow »

Here's an overview over ship losses. You see that apart from the losses due to the temporary capture of Portland and Astoria, in fact (as Bif1961 assumed correctly) the Allied navy did not lose too much, especially in terms of combat ships.

Attachments
ship_loss_comparison.jpg
ship_loss_comparison.jpg (165.84 KiB) Viewed 766 times
modrow

Allied ship losses

Post by modrow »

This is another potentially interesting tidbit re. ship losses: Allied losses since the infamous January 18 42

Attachments
allied_shi..ses_late.jpg
allied_shi..ses_late.jpg (442.14 KiB) Viewed 766 times
modrow

Allied ship losses

Post by modrow »

Allied ship losses before January 18, part 1

Attachments
allied_shi..s_early1.jpg
allied_shi..s_early1.jpg (438.89 KiB) Viewed 766 times
modrow

RE: Allied ship losses