Sunset and Sunrise times

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

RocketMan

Sunset and Sunrise times

Post by RocketMan »

How do you determine what time Sunset and Sunrise is? Is it coded to be the same every day or does it vary day by day?
simovitch

RE: Sunset and Sunrise times

Post by simovitch »

Sunrise varies with the seasons, but I don't see where it tells you when that is specifically. you just have to take note after the first mission.
simovitch

RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

The game tells you when moonrise and set is, but not sunrise and set. Seems kind of odd, but not a game breaker by any means.
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

Sun/moon rise and set times should be an easy thing to find for any point on earth and for any date within hundreds of years from now into either the past or future.

Try a Google search. You can even try free astronomy software like Stellarium.
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

I know I can find them online, and also realize that they are going to vary a bit over the map, but when I saw moonrise and set displayed in the program, I thought sunrise and set might be displayed somewhere too.
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

The night missions start at 1800 regardless of season, so sun rise and set have no meaning.
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: warshipbuilder

The night missions start at 1800 regardless of season, so sun rise and set have no meaning.
But flying a daylight mission after sunset (reduced visibility) causes increase pilot fatigue, inaccurate bombing, more likelihood of crashing on landing, reduced detection, and possibly other effects so there is some consideration to be taken about launching your daylight raids too late in the day.
simovitch

RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

ORIGINAL: warshipbuilder

But flying a daylight mission after sunset (reduced visibility) causes increase pilot fatigue, inaccurate bombing, more likelihood of crashing on landing, reduced detection, and possibly other effects so there is some consideration to be taken about launching your daylight raids too late in the day.

That was my thought as well simovitch. Plus the "day" starts at 4:30 am, when it's still night, so if you send out missions too early it will still be dark over the target when they get there.
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

Oh so very true. You definitely want all your birds back in the nest by 1700. Any time later, bad things happen.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
Rainerle

Post by Rainerle »

While we are discussind moon rise and set times, those are way off in the game.
The light ranges from 0 to 24. So it seems reasonable to assume that 24 is a full monn and 0 a new moon, with 12 being a half moon.
Now a full moon always rises at dusk and sets at dawn. A new moon does the opposite, i.e. it rises at dawn and sets at dusk. Half moons fall in between but still they are predictable. A waning half moon rises at about midnight and sets at noon. A waxing half moon rises at noon and sets at around midnight.
In the game however those times are way off. I have light 22, so almost a full moon and the game tells me that it will rise at 6 a.m. and set at 2 p.m. This is way off.
Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

We are currently working on the next patch and we will look into this. From what I can tell the previous programmers tried their best on these moon settings but settled for what you see.
In the end, if we don't get around to fixing it it should be considered an abstraction of night vision impacted by clouds and other weather effects.
simovitch

simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

While we are discussind moon rise and set times, those are way off in the game.
The light ranges from 0 to 24. So it seems reasonable to assume that 24 is a full monn and 0 a new moon, with 12 being a half moon.
Now a full moon always rises at dusk and sets at dawn. A new moon does the opposite, i.e. it rises at dawn and sets at dusk. Half moons fall in between but still they are predictable. A waning half moon rises at about midnight and sets at noon. A waxing half moon rises at noon and sets at around midnight.
In the game however those times are way off. I have light 22, so almost a full moon and the game tells me that it will rise at 6 a.m. and set at 2 p.m. This is way off.
I found out what is going on here, this is an easy fix to make this more in line with the Natural period of the moon. Also found the bug where the moon setting times near the end game in the BoB40 and BoB41 campaigns would go beyond the 24:00 clock [8|].
simovitch

AFIntel

Post by AFIntel »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

We are currently working on the next patch and we will look into this. From what I can tell the previous programmers tried their best on these moon settings but settled for what you see.
In the end, if we don't get around to fixing it it should be considered an abstraction of night vision impacted by clouds and other weather effects.

Wait, there IS someone working to fix this game? [&o]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”