Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Des... - 7/13/2018 7:30:40 PM   
KarlXII

I like both theaters but have never played a WEGO system based game. Any recommendations about the games ? There are few reviews available for Piercing Fortress Europe.

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Post #: 1
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/16/2018 2:16:28 PM   
pkpowers

to me , PFE is more playable than DW. Also PFE shows logistics/airpower in an abstract yet perfect way.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 2
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/16/2018 4:51:44 PM   
Alan Sharif

I second that. This is a better game to start with. Ultimately, get both!

A Sharif

(in reply to pkpowers)
Post #: 3
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/16/2018 5:42:13 PM   
KarlXII

Good! I bought PFE because it has the long campaign before Desert War 1940-1942.

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 4
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/16/2018 7:57:55 PM   
Yogi the Great

Enjoy - it is one of those games that sadly too few have taken a chance on but is a real gem. I agree with the others that Desert War is more complicated and PFE is more manageable and easier to get into. Give it a little time as it is different from most games but you should be able to get the hang of it fairly easily.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 5
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/16/2018 8:42:05 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarlXII

Good! I bought PFE because it has the long campaign before Desert War 1940-1942.

I haven't commented because, although I have bought 'Desert War', I have not played it more than a few exploratory turns and could not really compare.

Now you have PFE you will find it a very individual game, not easy to transfer experience from other titles.

The balance of supply over fuel, issuing combat supply to units and effects of ZOC are all important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

There are some glitches in the game, but I hope that the forum discussion will highlight these issues.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 6
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/19/2018 2:38:37 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

Which is a very accurate portrayal of real-life warfare! And some folks wonder how wars can be so easily mismanaged, without any benefit of hindsight and analysis by military experts. Which, of course, makes playing Frank Hunter's games so much more interesting!

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 7
RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or... - 7/29/2018 7:05:07 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

Which is a very accurate portrayal of real-life warfare! And some folks wonder how wars can be so easily mismanaged, without any benefit of hindsight and analysis by military experts. Which, of course, makes playing Frank Hunter's games so much more interesting!

Frank does have a talent for getting to the essence and 'feel' of each campaign, makes it more than just operating a game system and playing the odds.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI