Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 12:09:43 PM   
devoncop

Turn 27

All hell is let loose in Quang Tri Provice as a well co-ordinated US assault is launched against the NVA 312th and 308th Divisions. While the ARVN 1st Division attacks from the south the Marines of the US 1st marine Division are choppered in to their rear cutting supply and capturing Phong Dien. Air attacks are heavy throughout. There is resistance and casualties are heavy on both sides.

This is matched by a dramatic NVA response where reserve forces from North Vietnam including the 304th Division are flung into a counter attack. The Marines get roughly handled and the 1st battlion of the 26th Regiment is destroyed along with the 2nd battalion of the 5th Marine regiment and Phong Dien is recaptured after heavy fighting.

Aside from the clashes in Quang tri province the long awaited VC offensive further south is underway as Cadres emerge from the Ho Chi Minh trail ...rocket artillery hits a devastating blow against the major US airbase at Tuy Hoa and 19 A6's, 18 A4's and no less than 42 F4 Phantom II's are destroyed on the runways as a long awaited revenge for the VC losses to air interdiction over the last year and the bombing of Hanoi. Around 20 Hueys are also eliminated.

The VP's at the start of the turn were still +3 to the US though the EVV has ticked up to 16.

Just to add icing to the cake the Monsoon has begun.........

Plenty to chew on....

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 91
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 12:47:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

The 1st Marine Division is in tatters due to the counterattack by the NVA. They, the NVA, streamed across the river and killed several regiments and the rest are in reorg so they can't move this turn which means they will be at the mercy of the NVA again next time Ian has a turn so they are probably goners. It's so bad that I'm calling in the 3rd Marine Division and the 2nd Air Wing with all their F-100's.

Also, Tuy Hoa was the site of a rocket attack and several aircraft units were evaporated and some UH-1's are missing. I'd hate to have to base everybody in Thailand but that seems the thing to do just now. I need the coverage in I ( 'eye' ) Corps and Thailand isn't that far away from there. More units are needed for the coverage I need to secure the airbases as well as search for the bad guys. During the playback I've seen VC units appear near Da Nang but so far out of range that it would be useless to try to get close enough for a rocket attack and the VC unit usually disbands just after it appears. I need something like that for the rest of my airbases. Some vehicles maybe, armoured cars or tanks. Sounds like the Korean Division, they have vehicles. Maybe I should call them in. Maybe I should break down the units on the map into pieces to get more map coverage. And something to garrison the airfields and three hexes away from them or so.

Edit: I've been scanning the icons but I can't seem to remember which one brings in the Koreans. I'll have to read up in the Scenario briefing to find out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/15/2018 12:50:14 PM >

Did you ever suddenly realize that you're dead and nobody is telling you?

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 92
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 1:09:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the losses so far. I'm so used to seeing D21-type numbers these look like light losses but on the other hand there's not a whole lot of anything on hand besides the Rifle Squads. Those are for the ARVN divisions I think. That doesn't bode well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 1:26:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

I read through the scenario documentation again and learned that the Free World Allies appear in the game depending on the EEV value. These expected reinforcements show a ROK Marine unit will enter the game and that's good but I need vehicles, fast movers. Maybe the ROK unit will be airmobile.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 94
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 6:42:25 PM   
Hyding

Larry please don't use the theater option for US replacements. That option is not worth anything near the cost of even a single EEV point. Bring in an independent brigade or a full division. It is much more effective to bring in full strength formations than it is to burn EEV for very tiny numbers of additional replacements.

Post #: 95
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 6:48:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyding
Larry please don't use the theater option for US replacements. That option is not worth anything near the cost of even a single EEV point. Bring in an independent brigade or a full division. It is much more effective to bring in full strength formations than it is to burn EEV for very tiny numbers of additional replacements.

Sounds like a good idea to me. What kind of numbers are you talking about here? Less than a hundred?

(in reply to Hyding)
Post #: 96
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 7:51:03 PM   
Raindem

For the cost of +1 EEV, each U.S. replacement option dumps the following into the replacement pool:

50 Assault Squads
10 Heavy Rife
and an assortment of mortars, recon, RCLs, MPs, mechanics, and cooks.

Remember that U.S. units use Assault and Heavy Rifle as their core infantry, while the ARVN uses Rifle.

He's probably right about the value of replacements vs. withdrawing a worn down division and bringing in a new one. You get more bang-for-the-buck with a new division. But there is a little more to the equation than meets the eye. The cost difference between between the new division and your rebate for withdrawing the old one is usually greater than the +1 EEV you paid for the reinforcements. So you are ultimately paying a higher price. Then you have the loss of proficiency, the delay in shipping the incoming division to the mainland, waiting for them to top off supplies, etc.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

Post #: 97
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 8:35:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem
For the cost of +1 EEV, each U.S. replacement option dumps the following into the replacement pool:

50 Assault Squads
10 Heavy Rife
and an assortment of mortars, recon, RCLs, MPs, mechanics, and cooks.

Remember that U.S. units use Assault and Heavy Rifle as their core infantry, while the ARVN uses Rifle.

He's probably right about the value of replacements vs. withdrawing a worn down division and bringing in a new one. You get more bang-for-the-buck with a new division. But there is a little more to the equation than meets the eye. The cost difference between between the new division and your rebate for withdrawing the old one is usually greater than the +1 EEV you paid for the reinforcements. So you are ultimately paying a higher price. Then you have the loss of proficiency, the delay in shipping the incoming division to the mainland, waiting for them to top off supplies, etc.

Thanks for that Curt dude. Good to know.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 98
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 6:07:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

There were 16 NVA attacks during Ians turn and he's making progress in the north and Tuy Hoa saw another rocket attack last night and losses were high. I'll give you more details on it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/16/2018 6:08:51 AM >

Post #: 99
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 6:21:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

There was an attempt at an overrun last night at Sa Dec in the Delta. It cost the ARVN's a great deal and now the village is empty of friendly units and will soon be overrun if I don't send somebody down there pretty soon now. I don't remember pulling any troops out of there recently so I'm assuming they all evaporated even though the loss list doesn't show everything as being lost. Strange.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 100
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 6:36:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

Up north near Quang Tri the NVA bombarded one of my Marine regiments and got some few hits. The NVA stood off out of range of my arty and took no hits themselves. Three of my finest jeeps were hit. I had just had them overhauled and they had a new coat of paint on them and I was using them as runners, always on the go, never stopping very long in one spot, and three of them get hit in one attack. D'oh. The runners themselves were killed too of course, but still, that's a waste of several good jeeps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 7:04:32 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the results of the rocket attack on Tuy Hoa. Several squadrons left smoking on the ramp. It's going to take more than a new coat of paint to fix most of them. I'm thinking most of them are totaled and good for "parts only" now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/16/2018 7:05:16 AM >

Post #: 102
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 12:23:33 PM   
devoncop

Turn 29

All the frantic activity last turn has led to a shift in VP's again which are now +2 to the VC and EVV stay at +16 so it seems Larry decided against calling up more troops.

Up in Quang Tri the fighting continues and this time its the 2nd battalion of 7th US Marine Regiment that is destroyed by concentrated shelling and the 1st ARVN Division's 1st regiment suffers 22% losses losing 8 of its 24 howitzers and 15 infantry squads before a failed proficiency check truncates the turn.

More NVA have now arrived and I get the welcome news that VC supply has improved thanks to my Ho Chi Minh Trail improvements.

Possibly because of the air loses the US have suffered the US is now showing a loss penalty of 2 and there is no interdiction this turn which is a welcome relief.

VC activity was recorded last turn in no less than 7 provinces...

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

Post #: 103
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 3:47:29 PM   
devoncop

Turn 30

VP's tick up to +4 for the VC and EVV remain at 16

Considerable VC activity continues in the wilds of South Vietnam with activity recorded in 5 Provinces.

The Korean Marine Brigade which Larry has drafted in is greeted on disembarking south of Tuy Hoa airbase by a barrage of rocket fire and incurs 20% losses with about 26 Assault squads lost. A failed proficiency check leaves the VC rocket unit doomed but it is a good trade off.

Just north of Hue the NVA advance continues and units are now within 15 KM of the city centre. The 5th ARVN Regiment of the 1st Division defending the north western approaches suffers 40% losses from concentrated artillery and the Hue Artillery defences lose another 10% losses but wipe out another VC rocket battery in counter battery fire.

I am very tempted to throw a newly arrived strong NVA Mechanised Brigade into the fray from North Vietnam but decide to continue to build up its proficiency.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 104
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 3:52:54 PM   
larryfulkerson

I was surprised to find out that I have yet to request the 3rd Marine division so I did that now and also chose to call in a mechanized unit. They will come in handy in I Corps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 105
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 7:26:51 PM   
devoncop

Turn 31

It appears Larry has followed through and requested more troops from Washington.

The 3rd US Marine Divn and 1st/5th Mechanised Brigade arrive in theatre pushing the EVV to 20 and VP's reach +5 in favour of the VC.

As the Monsoon ends for the first time in six months the VC are properly active in the Delta and a Regional Militia unit is reduced to 50% strength by a VC Mortar unit whilst further bombardment of the ARVN 1st Division sees its 1st Regiment reduced by 10%.

More NVA reinforcements start arriving at the front north of Hue but the expectation is of a renewed US offensive in the north with the extra Marines and bolstered artillery.

Just as the damage was beginning to build another proficiency test fail leaves VC artillery exposed and will allow some damaged ARVN to slip away...

Post #: 106
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/16/2018 7:48:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie...the NVA have taken Phong Dien and are advancing on Phu Bai and Hue and there's not a whole lot standing in their way. The monsoon has stopped and air support has been restored and I'm wondering what difference that will make to the battle.

The VC are taking over in the Delta and eacept for the two rocket attacks on Tuy Hoa there's been very little activity in the I Drang Valley. And the 1st Cav has been busy clearing out the mountains and the roads through them. I'm hoping supply will flow better now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/16/2018 7:49:49 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 107
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 6:02:22 AM   
devoncop

Turn 32

VP's and EVV remain stable at +5 and 20 respectively.

US and ARVN Air Cavalry do a fine job wiping out several of my VC battalions with the monsoon now past and the VC take a more cautious approach this turn though an attack in the Delta on Quan Lon the Regional Centre of An Xuyen Province is repelled by ARVN Militia supported by US airpower.

In Quang Tri after heavy bombardment the ARVN 5th Regiment of the 2nd Division outside Hue is surrounded and completely destroyed with the loss of 70 infantry squads and in the suburbs of Hue itself, only 5Km from the centre the HQ of the ARVN together with an ARVN Armoured Cavalry force is repeatedly shelled losing 20% casualties including a couple of M41 tanks.

The VC Rocket battalion south of Tuy Hoa is able to resume its attacks on the Korean Marine Brigade over several rounds and inflicts over 35% casualties before withdrawing.

It is evident that the 3rd US Marine Division long with the 1/5th Mech Brigade are immediately being deployed just to the south east of Hue bolstering ARVN forces behind the major river. This will be a formidable hurdle even assuming that Hue can be taken (a big IF)

Post #: 108
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 10:14:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the situation looks like in I Corps. The NVA have advanced all the way to Hue's suburbs and there's a choice I need to make now. The arrival of the 3rd Marine division and the 1st of the 5th Mechanized formation in I Corps gives the possibility of a counterattack. I'm wondering if I should deploy the new units to Hue to give some push back or wait until they are topped off in supply and proficiency ( units typically lose a bit of proficiency due to their shipborne transit from the Phillippines to Da Nang. I'm thinking that maybe I ought to put up a token resistance at the very least.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/17/2018 10:15:09 AM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 109
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 10:24:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening in the Delta. The VC are running rampant and busting bridges at will and there's not enough engineers and ARVN Divisional HQ's to repair all the damage that's happening. I'm losing the battle in the south. I'm wondering if I need some more people in the Delta. Maybe I should move the Koreans to the Delta at least temporarily. The expected reinforcements say that I'm going to receive two arty units and one of the regiments to the ARVN 2nd Division, all arriving in Saigon, all in T33, next turn. It's not enough for the task in the south. I'm thinking I can afford some more people according to the EEV and it's appearently needed.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 110
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 11:39:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

It looks like a significant number of VC units has marched in from Cambodia near Loc Ninh and I found out about it after the fact but there's a good firefight going right now and I expect the VC units to escape across the border any turn now. So I'll have to try to get all my attacks layed on now, this turn, because they probably won't be there next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 111
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 3:32:00 PM   
devoncop

Turn 33

The US/ARVN start bombarding ther NVA lines north of Hue and the attacks start on the small NVA incursion around Loc Ninh in the west. Seeing overwhelming force arriving in the shape of the Korean Marines and ARVN Rangers as well as local ARVN forces the NVA and VC operasting with them successfully withdraw back into Cambodia.

Around Hue however it is a different story as the NVA 308th,312th and 325th Divisions launch repeadted attacks against the defenders of Hue. The ARVN Armoured Cavalry with significant air support inflict heavy casualties on the attackers but in Hue centre itself thr ARVN 1st Corps HQ is overrun and destroyed and Hue falls in a major propaganda victory for the NVA though in truth they are likely to have to give it up again soon.

The VC further south restrict themselves to blowing infrastructure apart from in the Delta where a vacated provincial capital is again reoccupied. Most VC units are being preserved for the next major offensive now being planned

VP's are now +4 to the VC and EVV has ticked up to 21.

Post #: 112
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 7:47:44 PM   
devoncop

Turn 34

The start of the turn brings good news as VP's have jumped to +15 with the capture of Hue with EVV remaining at 22.

There is concerted action by US Naval Forces now on NVA troops around Hue (which I have no ability to counter) and a supply unit is blown away whilst interdiction is very heavy causing other problems.

What is evident is the build up behind the US lines of a strong Marine Expeditionary Force and Mechanised Brigade column that I suspect is going to smash straight into NVA lines in an attempt to retake Hue City. All available artillery is ordered to target this column.
Whilst the first round causes 17% damage and the second 13% and 6 M48 Pattons are taken out along with a lot of heavy guns and rifle squads a failed proficiency check then ends the turn...Not good.

In the south the VC carry on their campaign of mischief but only insofar as is consistent with force preservation and units move up towards the Cambodian/Vietnamese border ready for the next VC offensive which will not be long coming....

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 113
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 8:22:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in I Corps right now. The NVA have captured Hue and now I have to take it back using the Marines and what's left of the Mechanized Regiment and the remnants of the 1st Regiment of the 1st Marine Division. I have the 26th and 27th Marine Regiments in reserve ready to go at 5 moment's notice.

There was another rocket attack at Da Nang and the perpetrator is still there. I'm going to have to kill him for sure. Some of the torn apart, worn down regiment elements can be broken into pieces and distributed around the airfields as a carpet so there will be less spawning of bad guys in range of the airfield. I've got several such regiments. About five regiments were destroyed so far, all Marines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 114
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 8:42:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

I flew some recon Marines to the Dong Ha area and they declare it occupied but there's a bridge just south of there that's screaming "break me". That would cut a lot of the supply flow to the NVA around Hue. I wonder if I can drop it by air strikes. I'll have to look into that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/17/2018 8:43:17 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 8:50:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

I ran some brown-water boats into the mouth of the rivers just south of the DMZ and discovered that Quang Tri is occupied too. That's going to make breaking the bridge that much more expensive. Maybe a different bridge. There's one near the DMZ that's naked and there's not much nearby to counter attack. Maybe the CS will protect the Allied unit flown up there to break the bridge. It's so crazy it might work.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/17/2018 9:43:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

The possession map says that I've cleared the majority of the country so it should become easier to find the bad guys when they appear somewhere in the middle but when they sneak in from the trail I might not know right away. The biggest problem right now is the NVA in I Corps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/18/2018 1:03:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

It appears that the NVA have withdrawn back north and that now's my chance to kill them before they can get away, maybe. I'll have to see what I can do with this situation.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 118
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/18/2018 4:48:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

There are two different occurences of VC units sneaking in from the trail. One group near Loc Ninh is of significant size and requires the presence of more Allied troops to confront them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 119
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/18/2018 5:18:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's my answer to Ian's moves. I've taken up positions adjacent to Ian's and I'm ready to open fire. I'm going to try to catch them before they get away to the north.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI