Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 11:59:11 AM   
devoncop

Turn 16

VP's now stand at +4 to the US so it is time for the first Spring Offensive as the monsoon hits again. Over the next couple of months it is hoped the VP total can be pegged back.

An attack by elements of the 308th and 27th NVA Divisions on the 27th US Marine Regiment in Quang Tri is repelled with the help of US airpower but the Marines at least lose 27% casualties though in squads the NVA suffer more.

The successful Rocket battery was wiped out last turn near Da Nang due to being caught as the turn ended and a couple more VC units also succumbed but VC presence is now stepping up.

At the moment Larry is doing a great job securing the south so I am finding it difficult to gain traction.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 61
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 1:49:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

Now that the monsoon season has started the NVA have opened their offensive by attacking a vulnerable Marine regiment and inflicting heavy casualties. The regiment needs to be evacuated now. The Americans are going to have to pull back for a while.

Attachment (1)

Did you ever suddenly realize that you're dead and nobody is telling you?

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 62
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 3:11:05 PM   
devoncop

Turn 16

An abortive US air attack on the AA equipped PAVN HQ suffers 10 aircraft losses (8 Skyhawks, 1 F* Crusader and 1 F4 Phantom) for the loss of 5 NVA Rifle squads.

Finally the Americans are checked slightly up in Quang Tri and appear to have pulled back to the regional capital.The ARVN Regional Militia at Khe Sanh is overrun and eliminated . I need to be careful here as in the previous game the NVA were hit hard there by concentrated artillery. I don't have good intel on the area yet but will be more circumspect this time around.

The VC manage more activity this turn reducing the US VP lead from +4 to +3 and further activity this turn hopefully will improve things again.

The US/ARVN are out of artillery range this turn so aside from a single bridge downed and hopefully some pacification there are no offensive military actions possible.

Next turn sees significant reinforcements in both strength and numbers due.

In other news the Ho Chi Minh trail improvements are now halfway through Laos and heading rapidly for the Cambodian border heading south which is improving supply considerably.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

Post #: 63
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 6:10:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

The EEV is now 10 and the net victory points is positive and in my favor and I'm starting to run into VC units that my units can't seem to destroy by just landing on top of them. They get set back to their original helipad and half their MP's are deducted when the attack fails. And thereafter no more Allied units can discharge on top of the enemy unit, they have to land adjacent and attack and that's slowing down the process. I may have to call in the 1st Cav Division or something.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/13/2018 6:11:57 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 64
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 7:20:01 PM   
devoncop

Turn 18 (April 1966)

VP's remain stubbornly at +3 for the US though American air attacks this turn cost the US 13 planes and in the VC turn NVA troops overran the Regional ARVN militia garrison at Con Thien in the north of Quang Tri province.

The build up of active VC in the country is slowly increasing and several bridges are blown in the Delta so the hope is that either the EVV will increase if Larry commits the US Cavalry Division or VP's will increase if he doesn't.
To be fair after 17 turns Larry is playing a blinder (or I am being a halfwit!) to only have the EVV at 10 so I do need to cause more problems.

My hope is that I can start taking some VP towns (even if they are remote ones) but up to now I have not had sufficient strength to do so. I have yet to play this scenario beyond 1966 so it will be interesting to see the strngth of the VC and NVA later in the war.

Post #: 65
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 7:43:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

It looks like there's the better part of an entire VC division near Tay Ninh just inside the border from Cambodia. And it looks like the HQ for all the VC forces in SVN is sneaking into or away from being in-country recently or soon. I'd best show him some attention. The monsoon is still going full-blast so air power support is going to be minimal this turn. And for some reason I can't keep the bridges up and the roads clear. This calls for some more troops. I'm going to call in the 1st Cav.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 66
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 7:51:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

And on event 30 things started to get interesting as an NVA unit sneaks into SVN from Laos out in the boonies where there's nothing of value for thousands of kilometers. I've got forces in that area clearing the road else they wouldn't be there either. Why in the world is the NVA opearting in that area? Supply is low, there's no roads leading into that area so no quick getaway, there's nothing of value there to grab. I can't think of a good reason for him to be there unless that's part of Ian's diabolical plan to lure me into the hinterland as a diversion as part of a bigger push somewhere else. Or something.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/13/2018 7:52:27 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 8:02:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ian is pushing forces across the DMZ and is attacking my outpost there. I can tell from the color code of the icons that this is an entirely new NVA Division from the one I used to be dealing with. That means he's moved the old one further south along the trail, probably and is giving responsibility for the DMZ to this new division. Probably. That's what I would do. So I can expect a major push coming from the trail anywhere south of the DMZ down to....I guess they have had enough time by now to reach just west of Pleiku. I may need to call in more than just the 1st Cav for enough frontage for the front lines. Most of the units I DO have are busy searching and can't sit garrison duty somewhere.

On the other hand, I could replace the Marines up north with the 1st Cav and search with the Marines. Nah, that would waste the talents of both formations. I'm guessing the Marine units have a tiny bit more punch than a 1st Cav infantry unit. I'll have to look into that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/13/2018 8:03:46 PM >

Post #: 68
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 8:09:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Event 173 sees a VC unit near Saigon sneak up under the noses of an ARVN unit and drops the bridge that were supposed to protect. They were moving from Saigon to the bridge and just never got there in time and now I've got another dropped bridge. Great. I'm guessing this VC unit will disband since he's so close to downtown.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 69
CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce - 7/13/2018 8:17:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

The elements of the NVA that were attacking my outpost destroyed it and then made their getaway to the west. Ian DID however, leave some units still in-country and I can get at them easily enough it's just that attacking them during the monsoon is just what Ian wants me to do. The battle would be in his favor given all the arty he's got at his disposal. I would lose more than he would and he would end up with a better battlefield position to boot. Best I get everybody out of dodge until the monsoon is over. Soon I hope.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 8:34:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

The ARVN unit blocking the road south to Tay Ninh has a situation that you guys might find interesting. He's doing just fine right now but to the south of his position there's a VC unit ready to cut the supply flow off and that's not going to work very long. I'll have to either do something about the flow of supply or evacuate the ARVN unit and I'm leaning toward just pulling him out of there by helicopter. The monsoon isn't over yet and I have no firepower advantage and likely if I leave him there he'll get isolated and surrounded and they aren't paratroopers and don't have much training in being surrounded so they might suffer a severe morale loss. I'd best pull them out of there to a more useful position.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 71
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/13/2018 10:35:20 PM   
devoncop

Turn 19

Dong Ha is subjected to intense bombardment by NVA artillery and the 1st ARVN Division Regional Militia cease to exist. Mindful of the imminent arrival of the US Air Cav Division (adding 4 to the EVV) the attackers redeploy.

A resumption of VC rocket attacks on the airbase at Da Hang wipes out another dozen F5's and further South the VC blow another half a dozen bridges. Progress continues to be made in the jungles of Tay Ninh Province in "re-educating" the peasants in the wonders of communism...

The Monsoon sadly ends with the US VP total reducing only slightly to +2.

< Message edited by devoncop -- 7/13/2018 10:37:15 PM >

Post #: 72
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 12:09:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

Some of the elements of the 1st Cav Division have arrived in the Phillippines and are ready to sail to a nearby port somewhere or even fly themselves in-country. I'd like to fly them to their first duty assignment if I can reach a useful spot on the map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/14/2018 12:12:14 AM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 73
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 4:20:28 AM   
devoncop

Turn 20

The VC step up direct attacks on the ARVN just as the US interdiction reaches a new high which causes some problems to say the least !

Last turn's activities had eliminated the US VP lead from +2 down to zero so a number of attacks were ordered on important provincial towns.

In Tuyen Doc ARVN Regional Militia are chased out of Dak Song, in An Loc (+1 VP) the Militia are also defeated and down in the Delta Vi Thanh (+1 VP) also falls. A VC attack on Bac Lieu Provincial Capital is defeated for now thanks to ARVN IV Corps supported by heavy US air combat support.

Regional Militia are also pushed out of Dak To in II Corps area of operations east of the Cambodian border but heavy interdiction causes a planned attack on the Regional Capaital of Pleiku in Kantum Province to be abandoned.

It is thought very unlikely any of these towns will be held but it signals growing VC confidence that the ARVN are vulnerable.

3 full Divisions are now operating in Quang Tri with additional artillery support but for now it seems the US Marines have withdrawn to the south.

For the first time in the war North Vietnamese MiGs shoot down a few US fighters.

Post #: 74
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 11:07:39 AM   
devoncop

Turn 21

Heavy air attack causes problems for the NVA in Quang Tri Province but they nevertheless forge forwards and push aside the garrison in Quang Tri City (1VP).

At turn start the VP's had finally ticked up to +1 for the forces of liberation and An Loc surprisingly stays under VC control though this will certainly not last as much more powerful ARVN formations are now operating in the area.

Thanks to Larry's disciplined approach a potentially damaging follow up attack on a major airbase is averted as troops garrisoning the areas around keep VC rocket artillery at a safe distance.

Although there is a need to preserve VC units for the next offensive I again risk keeping them in the field of only to stop the US and ARVN being able to concentrate their fire on one area of the country....

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 75
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 11:25:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

I seem to have killed the commander of an NVA Division accidently. I wonder if that will put the division in reorg next turn or not. I don't remember ever killing a command group in an HQ before. This may be the first time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 76
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 11:29:32 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I seem to have killed the commander of an NVA Division accidently. I wonder if that will put the division in reorg next turn or not. I don't remember ever killing a command group in an HQ before. This may be the first time.

How VERY rude

Post #: 77
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 12:12:18 PM   
devoncop

Turn 22

VP's thanks to the recent aggressive moves on the ARVN garrisons have now reached +4 for the VC though EVV remains stubbornly low at 14.

The NVA Divisional commander killed in an outrageous precision guided strike last turn was evidently a thoroughly bad egg as his Division does not go into reorganisation and the troops appear highly relieved he is gone......(maybe the bomb didn't really get him? )

The ARVN Militia forced out of An Lc last turn are surrounded and destroyed but an unwise attack on some helicopters by a weak VC battalion is beated back with heavy casualties by the Air Cavalry.

The position up in Quang Tri is strengthened further and plans are made for an advance on the US Marines in Thua Thien to the south..

At this point after a few bridges are dropped the VC unhelpfully fail a proficiency test

Interdiction was less of a problem this turn.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 78
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 2:21:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the approx. situation as it was at the beginning of the turn. I have since been moving units and I have killed some NLF units ( I DX'd them, killed them, from boardgame combat results tables ). The NVA has advanced closer to the Marines and they the Marines were bombarded with rockets as well as conventional arty tubes and suffered significant losses. I'm going to have to pull them back to Hue and defend from there because that's where the heavy arty is. And better terrain to defend in and I wanted to replay the real life NVA invasion of the Hue area if Ian is feeling frisky.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 79
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 3:37:00 PM   
devoncop

Turn 24 (November 1966)

A concentrated highly efficient counter insurgency effort against the VC in western South Vietnam has almost wiped out the VC presence there.

As a result the VP's fall back to zero....

The NVA in Quang Tri receive more good quality units this turn including a full Paratroop Regiment and have reached the Thua Thien Provincial border and cause heavy damage to both Militia and Regular ARVN units through shelling with the Militia losing 75% of their strength.

Most VC reinforcements were Political units this turn which are as much use as a chocolate fireguard in combat so I am waiting to activate some Cadres together to make maximum impact, possibly in conjunction with a monsoon as Allied airpower makes attacks by VC on even weak ARVN units a no-go. As an example last turn in the south east an attack cost 40% casualties for no loss to the ARVN and this turn it cost 18% casualties.......this is even on the "minimise casualty" setting. Revised orders are now being sent out !

Post #: 80
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 6:08:11 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ian did some bombarding during his turn and my troops suffered as a result and it's looking like I'm going to have to pull back further yet. He's got arty that out ranges mine and there's not much I can do for it. I'd have to call in the spare arty group from the Phillippines for longer ranged arty. I guess I'll have to do it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 81
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 10:37:17 PM   
devoncop

Turn 25

Phong Dien, the border town in Thua Thien province falls to the NVA and it's ARVN garrison destroyed as the NVA slowly advance towards Hue. The ARVN on its northern outskirts receive light shelling from advanced elements but little damage is caused.

VP's due to the effective suppression of the VC in the south have tipped to +1 for the US but several Cadres have been held in reserve awaiting more opportune deployment.

Aside from interdiction no significant US attacks are noted...

Post #: 82
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 10:56:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ian is getting serious with his attacks in I Corps. Even the Migs have come out to play. I lost some Crusaiders to this furball and I didn't get all the Migs either. The Crusaiders were on a two-dots setting and I'm thinking of going to three dots so I'll get all the Migs next time. I think I can afford the planes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/14/2018 10:57:23 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 83
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/14/2018 11:06:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a close up of the hot spot in the north. The NVA have advanced again and now they are further into South Vietnam and there's terrain behind the NVA that I can fly the Marines to in order to trap them in SVN and kill them. But my Marines don't respawn and the ARVN do so I'm thinking of moving the 1st and 2nd ARVN divisions up to the front lines so they can take the heat for a while. I've been losing Marines to the NVA bombardment and the ARVN RUFPUFs have been overrun and brushed aside. One wonders how much further Ian is going to advance.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 84
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 6:11:47 AM   
devoncop

Turn 26 (Jan 1967)

A counter attack by Larry using the Tanks of 1st Marine Div against 308th NVA Division in Thua Thien causes heavy loss though the US loses 10 aircraft and a similar number of tanks.

More VC start to show up at last elsewhere in the country to hopefully co-ordinate with the action in the north and more NVA start a renewed push in the west.

The NVA push closer to Hue and it is evident the 1st Marine Div with artillery support is stationed around Phu bai with the 1st ARVN Div holding Hue itself slightly ahead of them. The considerable artillery resources of 1st ARVN Corps HQ and the Divisional HQ of the 1st ARVN Division are targeted this turn in Hue itself and 53 heavy howitzers destroyed though at a heavy cost from counter battery fire.

Given 1st Marine Corps artillery assets Hue is likely to be too tough a nut to crack given current NVA assets but it serves a useful purpose in both causing US/ARVN attrition and tying down significant resources as the VC should be picking up the pace in the south of the country very soon.

< Message edited by devoncop -- 7/15/2018 6:12:19 AM >

Post #: 85
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 6:51:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

The NVA have sorta hung around by making raids and retreating a bit. I'm wondering if I have the firepower and manpower to get in behind the NVA and destroy their arty first and then the regiments afterward. But it sounds risky and I need to do an opposing forces study before I leap off the cliff here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 86
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 7:13:16 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the current condition of the 1st Marine Division, the 26th and 27th regiments and the 1st Cav Division. I've got about three good regiments and the rest of them are bloodied and one of them isn't combat ready any longer. I think it's safe to say that it's time to turn on the replacements for the Allied forces in-country. That's going to cost me some EEV but I think it's worth it and besides, I need it and now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/15/2018 7:15:26 AM >

Post #: 87
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 8:01:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

I discovered that there's more to the 1st Cav Division than I reported above. This is the 1st Cav and it's brigades. I'm thinking these aren't the kinds of units I need up against the NVA. I'm thinking these guys would be good for recon now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 88
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 10:25:41 AM   
devoncop

Turn 27

The ARVN 1st Division supported by huge airpower throw themselves at the NVA lines south of Quang Tri city as the VP total ticks up again to +3 to the US. The NVA Paratroop Brigade puts up a ferocious resistance despite losing 71 Infantry squads and brings down 24 planes and destroys 81 Infantry squads and their position just holds.

During the NVA turn the artillery bombardment by the HQ Artillery of the 308th,312th and 325th Divisions of the ARVN 1st Division and 1st Corps artillery continues and without taking any loss the NVA destroy 54 heavy howitzers and effectively decimate the ARVN HQ artillery capability. When they try this with 1st Marine Division artillery however this ends much less well and they take 28% losses and are forced to retreat to safety.

The VC are increasing again in the west of the country but I do need the boost from Cadres which are due any turn.

Post #: 89
RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.... - 7/15/2018 11:04:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I'd use the Marines to try to destroy some NVA units while I still have some Marine firepower left. I've surrounded the NVA equipment now I just need to take them down one at a time. I've got lots of firepower thank goodness and I'm thinking of bringing up the long range guns from the Phillippines as well as calling in the reinforcements for the Marines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI