Random Questions from a New Player

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dorsey

Random Questions from a New Player

Post by dorsey »

Hi everyone, I briefly played this game many years ago, and now am coming back (I even bought it a second time!).

I have the latest patch (including beta), the tracker, and am on my way with the Allies vs. AI Japan.

I've been reading the FAQ file and other resources on the forum, but am hoping you guys can help me with a few things I can't find.

1) Supply and Fuel: is there a central place to see where these resources appear? I understand how I can see that Abadan for instance produces 15,000 fuel a day, but I'm trying to organize my convoys and i'm not sure where to find this information (or if it exists).

2) This is somewhat connected to #1, but do I need to move supplies to India and Australia? I assume I need to send supplies to island bases like Hawaii, but I"m not sure if these places are self sufficient.

3) As an allied player, I never need to mess with the factories, right (except maybe to turn them off to save supply/fuel)? For instance, no need to upgrade them so I am not producing obsolete planes in 1945.

4) I played historical first turn with allied surprise. I lost 3 BBs in Hawaii--not surprised. However, I also lost the Prince of Wales and Repulse. Is that normal, or did I have bad luck?
sprior

RE: Random Questions from a New Player

Post by sprior »

Welcome to the madhouse!

Off the top of my head:

2. Yes, you need to supply India and Australia.The fuel will have to be hauled from Abadan although occasionally a convoy arrives in South Africa with fuel. Don't haul it away, your merchies will need it. Pull supply from South Africa to Oz and from Abadan to India.

3. Right, leave well alone.

4. Yes, historically PoW and Repulse were sank on Dec 10th
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

sprior

Post by sprior »

Also read some After Action Reports. tm.asp?m=3765619 is one of the worst ones and should be ignored.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Abadan is your main source for fuel in the western part of the map. CS tanker convoys to Colombo and use the long-legged tankers to run fuel to Sydney. Run a large convoy off-map taking supplies from England to Cape Town. Another from Cape Town to Colombo. You can spread your supply from there. Against the AI, you can get away with sending all your convoys out of CONUS from San Francisco. You will need to build up huge stockpiles of supply and fuel in Oahu. You will also need huge supplies wherever you intend to use as a base or hub {like Noumea or Sydney}. I am playing DaBabes and NZ and Australia are self-sufficient but cannot support anything else. As Allies, you will swim supplies.....you just need to move it.
Answered above.
I never have.
Loosing more than two is rare in my opinion. But I have in my current game.....and 4 others that need yard time for up to or more than a year. Loosing PoW and Renown is common. Sometimes you'll save one of them. Always remember that not only was Murphy an Optimist, he was also a sadist {and spends far too much time in my life}.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: dorsey

Hi everyone, I briefly played this game many years ago, and now am coming back (I even bought it a second time!).

I have the latest patch (including beta), the tracker, and am on my way with the Allies vs. AI Japan.

I've been reading the FAQ file and other resources on the forum, but am hoping you guys can help me with a few things I can't find.

1) Supply and Fuel: is there a central place to see where these resources appear? I understand how I can see that Abadan for instance produces 15,000 fuel a day, but I'm trying to organize my convoys and i'm not sure where to find this information (or if it exists).

2) This is somewhat connected to #1, but do I need to move supplies to India and Australia? I assume I need to send supplies to island bases like Hawaii, but I"m not sure if these places are self sufficient.

3) As an allied player, I never need to mess with the factories, right (except maybe to turn them off to save supply/fuel)? For instance, no need to upgrade them so I am not producing obsolete planes in 1945.

4) I played historical first turn with allied surprise. I lost 3 BBs in Hawaii--not surprised. However, I also lost the Prince of Wales and Repulse. Is that normal, or did I have bad luck?

1 & 2. While Abadan is a good fuel source it is weak supply source. The East Coast is your best source of supply for India, especially after the Med route opens to Aden. India needs both supply and fuel, especially Colombo. If you turn off heavy industry in Australia to save fuel you will need to bring in supply from the West Coast. You will need to do that any way to be able to stockpile enough for offensives. The east and west coasts of the US are the supply sources for the world. I drained the east coast almost dry shipping it to Aden and Capetown. In early '45 the EC is almost dry, but I have 26 million supply at San Fran.

3. No need to mess with factories (aircraft). Heavy industry can be turned off to conserve fuel.

4. Most stock scenarios played with historical first turn and surprise result in Force Z making a historical sortie top their death. Rarely one o fteh two capital ships survives very beat up. To avoid this you have to play without surprise so you can give orders before the December 7th turn.
Hans

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Also read some After Action Reports. tm.asp?m=3765619 is one of the worst ones and should be ignored.

In full agreement.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

4. Most stock scenarios played with historical first turn and surprise result in Force Z making a historical sortie top their death. Rarely one o fteh two capital ships survives very beat up. To avoid this you have to play without surprise so you can give orders before the December 7th turn.

Alternatively, if you are playing PBEM, your partner could allow you to issue orders to POW and Repulse as an exception before the execution of the first turn.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

For number one use tracker....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: btd64

Or you can open the scenario in the Editor and look at the US bases to see how much supply or fuel automatically appears there every turn.
Excess supply will flow to the biggest port that has good transportation links. Usage is what determines how much is not excess. Loading ships with supply or fuel is considered usage for the supply/fuel algorithm.

Be sure to start your first game with PDU ON. You want to learn how to upgrade your aircraft to models you want and not just what was available historically. Part of this process is learning how to manage your aircraft pools. This does NOT mean the Allies get to choose what kind of aircraft are made in their factories - just what units get what eligible aircraft from the available stocks.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Dec. 10th Singapore time is Dec 9th Pearl Harbor time. Force Z was dispatched Dec 8th (Dec. 7th PHT) and was spotted by the IJN late in the day of the 9th (Dec 8th PHT) and attacked the next day.

dorsey

Post by dorsey »

Thanks guys. So I'm trying to think this through strategically....

What is the purpose of keeping Australia well supplied? It is a supply and fuel sink. It isn't really that useful as a staging area for future attacks against the enemy. It isn't the major producer of war material that will win the war.

(I'm approaching this from the allied perspective, but the Japanese perspective seems more compelling - why commit major resources to cutting off Australia as they did in Coral Sea and Guadalcanal?)
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Darwin is the closest base of any real size to the DEI. It can be used as a forward Submarine base as well as staging for attacks in DEI. Sydney is the closest shipyard for SWPAC area. Australia's size makes it impossible for the Japanese to eliminate it as a threat. They cannot take and hold enough to stop the allies from landing unopposed and waltzing over and clobbering the forces used.

As for why wartime Japanese leaders thought it important, I cannot say. I suppose they thought they could cut the pipeline and dictate terms that Australia would accept and have the Aussie's enter the Greater Co-Prosperity Sphere. If so, they failed to understand the Australian people as much as they failed to understand Americans.
dorsey

Post by dorsey »

Does the tracker actually show this?

I can see how to use the tracker to get the supply and fuel on hand.

But what I don't see is how to use the tracker to obtain the amounts that appear there every day.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

What is the purpose of keeping Australia well supplied? It is a supply and fuel sink. It isn't really that useful as a staging area for future attacks against the enemy. It isn't the major producer of war material that will win the war.

(I'm approaching this from the allied perspective, but the Japanese perspective seems more compelling - why commit major resources to cutting off Australia as they did in Coral Sea and Guadalcanal?)

The Australian divisions and tank units are some of the best LCUs on the map ... once they get filled out. And filling them out takes time as the goodies trickle in from the pools. During this time you need supply to feed and train your expanding units. Australian bases also need to be expanded to handle the aircraft needed for security. For example, Sydney dockyard is the only one you will have in the Pacific west of PH that can handle the Yorktown class carriers. But KB often does a raiding sweep all the way around Australia, so before you put your precious carriers in Sydney SY for repairs or upgrades you want to have airfields that can host a lot of bombers and fighters to deal with KB if it appears (the carrier air groups can be landed to help with this).

You also need ASW and Naval Search aircraft and ships operating from decent sized ports and airfields. By the time your Australian LCUs are ready to move forward and press the enemy, you should have control of sea and sky in the area so you can load the LCUs up and move them where they are needed.

Whenever you need to decide where to use your resources, sit back and think strategically - "Where do I want to be at least one year hence".
- the end game is to get within striking distance of Japan so you can destroy its industrial and military capacity
- there are several different routes toward Japan and Japan cannot strongly defend all of them
- the DEI has vital oil/fuel for Japan so it will be strongly defended, but pushing a little in this sensitive area (like taking Saumlaki or Babar) will draw his navy and air force away from other areas you wish to attack.
- if things seem bleak, just open the Intel Report and look at your reinforcement queues. By fall of 1942 you will have at least local control of the perimeter of the empire.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
dorsey

Post by dorsey »

Guys, now I have a real problem.

With the patch, the windowed display is cutting off the bottom of the screen. When I check out a base, for example, I can't see the industry options.

I was searching the forum, and saw that the beta ends in "-w" when viewed in properties through the shortcut - I read that removing this move the game back to full screen mode. However, when I tried that, the game wouldn't launch. Does anyone have a suggestion?
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Does the tracker actually show this?

I can see how to use the tracker to get the supply and fuel on hand.

But what I don't see is how to use the tracker to obtain the amounts that appear there every day.

Yes, here is a screen shot for you.

Attachments
tracker 1a.jpg
tracker 1a.jpg (479.34 KiB) Viewed 693 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

With the patch, the windowed display is cutting off the bottom of the screen. When I check out a base, for example, I can't see the industry options.

I was searching the forum, and saw that the beta ends in "-w" when viewed in properties through the shortcut - I read that removing this move the game back to full screen mode. However, when I tried that, the game wouldn't launch. Does anyone have a suggestion?
When you install the game it puts a shortcut on your desktop. THIS IS NOT THE GAME SHORTCUT. It points to the Autorun.exe which opens a menu box that allows you to open the editor, the manual, search for updates or ... launch the game. The switches do not work with this shortcut.

Use Windows Explorer (or whatever they call it now) to navigate your file system until you find the War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe file. Right click on it and choose "create shortcut". Drag this shortcut to your desktop and then start the process of installing switches in the correct shortcut.

There is a whole series of posts in the Tech Section about switches, what they do, and how to put them into your shortcut. You can launch the game without the switches but it is likely to be really wonky, especially if you are using Win 10.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Strategically it is best for Allies to supply and build up everything they can think of as long as it is close to the front, so that they have choices of where to push next. Being unpredictable is great.
And Allies have the assets to make it happen. Contrary to that, Japan is very limited in its resources and has to make choices all the time
dorsey

Post by dorsey »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

When you install the game it puts a shortcut on your desktop. THIS IS NOT THE GAME SHORTCUT. It points to the Autorun.exe which opens a menu box that allows you to open the editor, the manual, search for updates or ... launch the game. The switches do not work with this shortcut.

Use Windows Explorer (or whatever they call it now) to navigate your file system until you find the War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe file. Right click on it and choose "create shortcut". Drag this shortcut to your desktop and then start the process of installing switches in the correct shortcut.

There is a whole series of posts in the Tech Section about switches, what they do, and how to put them into your shortcut. You can launch the game without the switches but it is likely to be really wonky, especially if you are using Win 10.

That didn't work unfortunately.

I found the exe file in the directory, created a shortcut and moved it to the desktop. That indeed solved the display problems, but the game was unpatched.

It seems the only way I can run the beta patch is to use the shortcut on the desktop created by the beta installer. When I try to remove the "-w" command from the properties screen in the beta patch shortcut, the game won't launch.
dorsey

Post by dorsey »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Yes, here is a screen shot for you.

Thanks!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”