Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn 1 suggestions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Turn 1 suggestions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/5/2018 1:48:20 PM   
Walker00

Hey all. Pretty new player here, I've looked at some AARs, read some of the links on the "library of WitE resources" thread, and played one match against a personal friend. I've been replaying the first turn over and over trying to get a feel on how to best surround as many Soviets as possible and keep them secure, while also being in a position to keep the momentum up for the next turn. I've obviously modeled it after a lot of the AARs I have come across but also have tried to experiment. This is what I think is my best go at it thus far, but I still recognize that it's a rough. I'd like to hear any criticisms and suggestions that any more experienced players can provide.

Thanks in advance. Walker00

P.S. I've included in it a .zip file as I'm still trying to figure out how to embed multiple images in one post.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/5/2018 4:26:14 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Re images: AFAIK you need to get to 10 posts and then wait a week before you can post images here.

Re your turn: Solid overall for a first attempt.
The center pocket can be broken northwest of Minsk.

Learn how units retreat. There is a section in the manual that lists the factors and with some experimentation you can predict most retreat paths quite well. AFAIK there is no RNG element in retreat paths, so it works always the same.

Learn how many MPs Soviet units have in T1 at max and how far they can walk, and design your pocket walls around that.

Learn how to manipulate the routing. Especially in the North/Center, units have some favourite rout spots, which unfortunately lay in your way, so you push them into deep Russia when later moving over those spots. If you create a small hole first, then move a mot. unit to occupy the rout spots and only AFTER that do the main attacks, more untis will rout into the Byalistock and Kurland pockets to be killed in T2.

Hope this helps.

As an exercise, you can try to rebuild other player's openings.
Some examples
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4067937
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4426690

(in reply to Walker00)
Post #: 2
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/5/2018 10:51:12 PM   
Aufklaerungs

Agree with EvK. You seem to have a good grasp of the basics for creating envelopments. Try to identify his opportunities for breaking any bagged units out with supplied units moving forward to bridge gaps. All his unsupplied surrounded units will always be able to move at least one hex toward potential rescuers or to displace a vulnerable HQ/airfield.

You have one of your 3d PzG corps HQs lagging way behind. Soviets may be able to displace him on their t1.

You have not converted any of the rail hexes you captured in the North view. Always remember not to end turn before you have used your FBDs, especially in Baltic states where conversion cost is only one MP.

Appears you have used up all MPs in many areas to create your bags. Okay to do on t1, but may have downside for keeping up momentum in t2.

Keep in mind that all your units that end the turn adjacent to hexes you don't own (shaded) will suffer higher attrition losses starting t2 - even when soviet combat units are not currently occupying the hex - it is still enemy controlled real estate.

Aufklärungs

(in reply to Walker00)
Post #: 3
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/6/2018 4:35:16 AM   
Icier

Too many gaps for an experienced player to link up with the surrounded units & watch those darn Russian HQs, they have a tendency to route about 1 hex from your advance & the routing units rout to them them & are ready to movre next move.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

(in reply to Aufklaerungs)
Post #: 4
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/6/2018 3:12:52 PM   
thedoctorking

I'm looking at the two pockets in the AGC region and thinking that they could be opened by an aggressive Russian player. That could mean saving up to 50 support units that would otherwise die (because if the units aren't isolated, the SU can be assigned to a higher HQ that is not in danger - usually STAVKA). The southern pockets look solid from what I could tell.

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 5
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/6/2018 5:23:00 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Support units are not destroyed when the HQ relocates, they only take displacement damage.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 6
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/6/2018 6:55:52 PM   
redrum68

Couple of noob questions on the openings:
1. Staging air bases - Seems that folks use staging air bases and move air bases/air groups around a lot. What are the factors in deciding when/how to do this to optimize bombing results? What factors influence bombing damage, range, and fuel consumption?
2. Air doctrine - What general settings are used and why? Seems there is some discussion on even turning ground support on/off for particular battles but I don't really understand why.
3. Retreat paths - It seems using retreat paths to 'herd' units into pockets is important but it seems like there is some debate/confusion on what factors determine it (adjacent enemies, rivers, rails, number of units per hex, etc). Also is there a random factor to it?

Thanks for any insight just trying to better understand the openings.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 7
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/6/2018 7:40:12 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

1. Look at the AARs from Telemecus/HLYA, they have good descriptions. Also, the user beender has gotten top notch results on T1 bombing, maybe you can ask him
2. Basically, fly ground support only for important battles to keep your air force fresh and rested. Pretty much what you would do IRL.
3. Rail lines, hex ownership nearby, enemy units nearby, length of retreat path in hexagons, cost of retreat path in MP, general direction (east for USSR, west for Axis) and some more.

On a German wargaming forum I once made an attempt to lay out what I think the priority list is but there were always exceptions (5-10%) I cannot explain so I am careful creating such a list. Fearful of the actions for damage when a little anomaly spoiled your game winning mega pocket. The best advice I can give is to get an idea for yourself by playing/by dedicated tests. Without guarantee on that, you can start your tests with the assumption ZOC>Hex ownership>rails>general direction

Maybe other players have figured out the algorithm in its entirety.

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 8
RE: Turn 1 suggestions? - 7/9/2018 11:37:57 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aufklaerungs

Agree with EvK. You seem to have a good grasp of the basics for creating envelopments. Try to identify his opportunities for breaking any bagged units out with supplied units moving forward to bridge gaps. All his unsupplied surrounded units will always be able to move at least one hex toward potential rescuers or to displace a vulnerable HQ/airfield.

You have one of your 3d PzG corps HQs lagging way behind. Soviets may be able to displace him on their t1.

You have not converted any of the rail hexes you captured in the North view. Always remember not to end turn before you have used your FBDs, especially in Baltic states where conversion cost is only one MP.

Appears you have used up all MPs in many areas to create your bags. Okay to do on t1, but may have downside for keeping up momentum in t2.

Keep in mind that all your units that end the turn adjacent to hexes you don't own (shaded) will suffer higher attrition losses starting t2 - even when soviet combat units are not currently occupying the hex - it is still enemy controlled real estate.

Your statement on attrition, is this correct? I thought there was general attrition - machines breaking down beyond repair, some one getting run over by a truck etc and front line attrition which is additional attrition caused by being adjacent to an enemy unit; now there is attrition by being adjacent to an enemy controlled hex?? When did this come in?

Note : whilst this thread is Axis turn 1 suggestions there is some hints on how the soviets should play the game. Due to the game being based on hexes one crap Soviet unit can be adjacent to 9 Axis units, though the extra additional Attrition losses probably adds up to 60% of 4/5ths of 5/8ths of bugger all divided by my hat size (57)

Apparently visiting a museum to inspect a Valentine tank is NOT romantic.

(in reply to Aufklaerungs)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Turn 1 suggestions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI