GD 1938 v3 Q&A thread

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

GD 1938 v3 Q&A thread

Post by ernieschwitz »

Those of you who are reading this probably saw the post from Matrix, either on the forum, or on the Matrix homepage, and if you didn't why don't you take a look :)

This thread is meant to be a Q&A thread. That is you ask the Questions, and I will try to Answer them as best I can.

So, any questions?
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

RE: GD 1938 v3 Q&A thread

Post by Twotribes »

Why was the PzIIId weaker then the PzIIIe? )
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The PzIIId was an early production model of the type PzIII. It has thinner armor. The PzIIIe is a later mark, that had more armor. If you want more details, I can try to get Bombur to answer, who made all the 800+ different types of equipment.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

Is this Mod able to be used against the AI, or is it designed primarily for multiplayer?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Is this Mod able to be used against the AI, or is it designed primarily for multiplayer?

This mod stretches the abilities of the base game so much so, that when the AI is enabled, it crashes due to running out of the memory that the base game can use. So I am afraid it's not really able to be used with an AI... So with that in mind, it is designed for use exclusively as a multiplayer game. Sorry. :(
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

The PzIIID had very poor armour (5-16mm) more or less the same of the BT series
The PzIIIE has better armour (10-30mm and an extra 30mm were added latter)
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: Bombur

Can’t you just make classes of armored vehicles generic, such as tank, APC and OFG units? I fled from TOAW because the scenario designers (and to some degree players) because they were so anal about equipment statistics and argued about millimeters of armor penetration. Let’s not have that happen here. Lets just have some fun.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Can’t you just make classes of armored vehicles generic, such as tank, APC and OFG units? I fled from TOAW because the scenario designers (and to some degree players) because they were so anal about equipment statistics and argued about millimeters of armor penetration. Let’s not have that happen here. Lets just have some fun.

Regards, RhinoBones

Actually we began with just generic units, in the very early start of this mods life. Before it became version 2, which was it's previous iteration. People seem to enjoy the different unit types though, and it just wouldn't be a Global Domination 1938 scenario without them. People have been real nice about not complaining about stats of things. I don't think we will ever get to the point where people argue about armor thickness, millimeters of armor penetration, if the cupola is on the right hand or left hand side of the turret, and if the crew had a tendency to drink, or for that matter, if the british are sipping tea in London or not.

Also it is too late to change the number of equipment at this stage in the process.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Hi Rhino Bones, if you eliminate the custom units there will be no Bombur role in this mod[:D]

As a whole, most players are happy with the custom units, they add some realistic flavor to the game, it´s might better to say that "our force of Bf-109F´s achieved a 5:1 kill rate against enemy Hurricanes" than to say "Our Fighter V´s achieved a 5:1 kill rate against enemy Fighter III".
It also forces the players, to some extent, to doctrinal constraints of the involved nations. Take for instance Japan, which developed lots of fragile, long range two engine bombers that were deadly against unprotected ships but took horrendous losses against determined fighter opposition, while the USA didn´t use their medium bombers against ships (althought skip bombing against small warships and transports is represented in the game). The Soviets will be able to deploy great numbers of cheap and very effective medium taks against more sophisticated German designs. The USA will do the job with mediocre fighters until the 6th generation, and after that hey will have the finest fighters in the game. Some nations will struggle to create effective night fighters, while the fragile British strategic bombers can be used both in daylight and night raids, but they will suffer in the first case.
This said, I could have created a system where the player is free to develop generic, but variable equipment according to certain doctrine choices. To some extent we tried to do this in our American Civil War scenario. I´m not completely happy with the results.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Will this version be available through VR Designs first?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: LJBurstyn
Will this version be available through VR Designs first?

It will be downloadable from the VR Scenario bank, on VR Designs home page. That is through the Scenario Bank.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”