Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anything new with night fighters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Anything new with night fighters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anything new with night fighters - 6/28/2018 9:46:46 AM   
cato13

Im not playin witw in a while so im tryin to catch with any new rules.

is there anything different i should be doing with axis night fighters to improve their kill rate?

should i be doin recon on allied air bases for example?
Post #: 1
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 6/28/2018 10:14:28 AM   
loki100

As before they mostly just auto-intercept from their bases, so most of the decisions are about where to deploy them and about the payload (I like to strip fuel tanks as I don't want them wandering around).

There is an odd Air Superiority mission where they go and hang around a base that has enemy night fighters/bombers and try to catch them coming back. Its fun to do every now and then as it forces an allied player to keep some of their own NF back for defensive missions.

This one is best done in the 'enemy turn' and yes you need good recon.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 2
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 6/28/2018 12:51:31 PM   
esteban

I know that many WitW players used to opt not to fly night fighter missions at all, to save fuel for later use and save the precious trained night fighter pilots that can be disbanded and used to keep the day fighters manned. This is because NF kill rates were so low and it gets depressing to use fuel and lose a couple trained pilots to get 300 NF airborne to intercept Bomber Command, and you shoot down 4 British bombers as a result.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 6/28/2018 1:12:30 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

I know that many WitW players used to opt not to fly night fighter missions at all, to save fuel for later use and save the precious trained night fighter pilots that can be disbanded and used to keep the day fighters manned. This is because NF kill rates were so low and it gets depressing to use fuel and lose a couple trained pilots to get 300 NF airborne to intercept Bomber Command, and you shoot down 4 British bombers as a result.

aye but that misunderstands the consequence of damage on Bomber Command's ability to sustain operations. True you don't shoot down many but you damage more and disrupt missions. Damaged planes = low morale, low morale = higher op losses/planes not completing missions or the allied player having to rest them.

BC squadrons that are resting are not bombing the Reich.

I agree in the end you use many NF formations to feed high quality pilots back into the day formations but that is from the Autumn of 1944.

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 4
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 6/28/2018 10:51:32 PM   
Searry

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

Ok, bunch up all the night fighters you can find in allied T1 and fly endless night intruder missions into germany where the night fighters are. T1 is so unbalanced due to this it makes little sense to keep axis night fighters if you see the allied player doing this.

Then combine this with an air field bombing campaign.

< Message edited by Searry -- 6/28/2018 11:06:33 PM >

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 5
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/19/2019 12:19:18 AM   
Mac Linehan

Gents -

Been away for a while, but have reread the rules and guides and am now on Spring Break (I am a school bus driver) and hard at it.

Re: Night Fighters =

Am not 100 percent sure, but I can set them on NO without a directive (for auto intercept) as there is no night AS setting.

I will reread the pertinent rules again, if I am off course I apologize.

Awesome game, am taking a break from WitPAE and loving it.

Thank You for any help.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 3/19/2019 12:31:50 AM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/19/2019 7:24:10 AM   
loki100

Defensively you have to rely on the auto-intercept system, so its all about how you place them on the map. Most would advise concentration over dispersion but thats not too hard a choice as inevitably Bomber Command will concentrated on the Ruhr.

The only Air Sup mission you can put them on is the 'night intruder' one. This targets enemy airbases and tries to intercept bombers/fighters as they return from their missions - ie out of fuel, tired, possibly damaged.

I'm not sure this really pays off, most time you miss, the few decent successes perhaps don't make it worth the effort. Having said that, it helps to force the Allied player to keep some of their NF back for defensive duties.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 7
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/19/2019 11:11:36 AM   
Searry

The British can deploy their night fighters turn 1 to make a big night intruder strike into Germany and kill a lot of stuff there. The system is a bit broken.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 8
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/21/2019 3:05:39 AM   
Mac Linehan

loki100 and Searrh-

Excellent summary; I think I now understand and deeply appreciate your clarifications and guidance.

I have started the "Torch to Tunisia" Scenario as the Allies. Am still on turn one, setting up AD's; but am also rereading the rules and guides as needed. Slow going - but no matter, I love the detail (and it's all in attention to and understanding the details).

Thanks Guys.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 9
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/23/2019 8:01:14 PM   
Mac Linehan

Gents-

I am still not 100 percent clear:

Will DAY fighters that are set to Day Only, and NOT assigned to an Air Directive do auto intercept of bombers in the area?

Thank You for your help.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 10
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/23/2019 10:13:32 PM   
loki100

yes

any fighter not given a mission will do auto-intercept.

There is a trade off, with an AS you pick the range & altitude

with auto-intercept, you opponent chooses those, but you don't pick up fatigue/op losses on days with no bombing.

On the other hand.

With an AS if you set altitude wrong, you can miss the bombers completely (not always bad, they may be too high to bomb effectively).

So its a trade off, I've never convinced myself which is best to be honest. But they do work in different ways.

edit: to clarify, the only way to keep a fighter group from intervening (auto or within an AS) is to put it to reserve status.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 3/23/2019 10:15:34 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/24/2019 4:13:57 AM   
Mac Linehan

loki100 -

Thank You!

I have been off for a week, back to work on Monday. However, am well past the hump and continue to make steady progress. It will help to take a week off and hit it again next weekend.

What really excites me is that if I can play WitW, I can also play WitE. I did nine campaign turns WitE; so have some familiarity with the differences in air and supply. Both are good, but WitE2 will, of course, benefit from further player input and testing.

My respect to 2by3 and Matrix for outstanding, professional quality games.

Thank you again, Sir.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 3/24/2019 4:14:54 AM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 12
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/24/2019 2:24:01 PM   
cfulbright

quote:

My respect to 2by3 and Matrix for outstanding, professional quality games.

Mac - what's truly amazing about 2by3 and Matrix is they are continuing to release patches and upgrades to a game that came out over four years ago. I don't know anyone else who does such a thing.

Cary

Post #: 13
RE: Anything new with night fighters - 3/24/2019 7:33:05 PM   
Mac Linehan

cfullbright -

So very true. I would also mention that support for WitP AE (2009) continued - if I recall correctly - until 2016.

Life is good!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Anything new with night fighters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI