Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Netherlands

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Netherlands Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Netherlands - 6/27/2018 2:20:57 AM   
IBender

If Germany and the Netherlands are at war...but Japan and Netherlands are at peace. Can Japan conduct a surprise attack and get maximum benefits for invading NEI (in pacific for oil). All optional rules On.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Netherlands - 6/27/2018 2:27:25 AM   
paulderynck

Yes, but they have to DoW whoever the Netherlands aligned with - usually that's the CW. This is because once a minor is aligned with a major (even when that minor has other minors aligned with it) - then you can't attack it with a DoW on just it. You have to DoW the major it is aligned with.

Also note that even in the rare cases where Germany ignores the Netherlands, a JP DoW on NEI (would actually have to be a DoW on the Netherlands for same reasons as above) is a separate US entry hit equivalent to a DoW on the CW (which is needed anyway if you want Singapore & Rabaul, among others objectives...)

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 2
RE: Netherlands - 6/27/2018 2:37:55 AM   
IBender

Thanks. I have set up a global with all rules and have started playing through again. I am going super slow and trying to further understand the rules. I find Japan to be very difficult. Naval invasions specifically.

Do you have any tips regarding capturing NEI oil early? Frankly I struggle with this and with other naval invasions.

Thanks.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Netherlands - 6/27/2018 6:30:31 AM   
jboldt007

Japan needs to go hard in and take Batavia as an absolute priority either directly or landing next to it with an HQ if you don’t think you can take it in one go to maintain supply. And protect the convoys from CW cruisers. If Batavia falls then Japan should land a division in each coastal oil hex in NEI if they are free. Japan has some good marine and elite units early in the game which make this possible.

I’ve only completed two GW games and invasions and their timing are the hardest thing to get used to (and paradrops which I still screw up). But one gets the hang of it pretty quick.

If one is just practicing, one can also decline the notional units to make the landings easier. Notionals are one of the very few things I’m not keen on ... but that’s just me as I find invasions very difficult.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 4
RE: Netherlands - 6/27/2018 6:40:44 PM   
paulderynck

I agree with jboldt007. Normally NEI is aligned with the CW by the time JP is forced into a DoW due to the Oil Embargo (since it is getting half the NEI oil and 2 from the USA up to then anyway). And CW won't risk CPs trying to keep Borneo in supply and normally the only units opposing are the NEI MIL and NEI Terr. So you can land unopposed on the two oil in Borneo with Divs from 2 SCS (or from one TRS) and get two the same turn you attack. Then with the fall of Batavia, the latest you'll get the two from Palembang is the next turn. (i.e. after the conquest phase of the turn you attack.

Paul

(in reply to jboldt007)
Post #: 5
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 2:57:22 AM   
jboldt007

Good comments!
I was going to add to that when learning it took a while for me to grasp that invasions (the actual moving of units onto the beachhead) is a land action whereas getting there (loading and transporting) is a naval move. One can use a naval action to set everything up - but one loses suprise potentially and the opponent can react in their turn. Or one can use a combined action to do the invasion in one turn but one has to keep tabs on how many land moves one has left - plus - if needed, one can’t use an offensive chit for land combat. Later in the game for D-day or “Anzio” the Super- combined action then becomes important.

Post #: 6
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 11:05:58 AM   
TeaLeaf

Getting anywhere in the Pacific with Japan indeed means a good understanding of invasions.

Personally, I almost never invade from a section below 3 and this means positioning your invaders and AMPHs well ahead.

During your surprise impulse, your invasions are much stronger because of the -1 Combat Factor the surprised Notionals get. This means you can invade almost everywhere without a problem, even with just 1 division because the notionals will have 0 Combar Factors.
After that, getting opposing Notionals -or whatever defenders- Out Of Supply (chasing off all their allied convoys and TRS), really ups your strength. In case some real forces opposing, you may need to also Disorganize them and first invade nearby hexes, then march towards them. Needless to say (I hope): always bring enough battleships + cruisers to at least double your invading/assaulting factors with shore bombardment.

Batavia is indeed your highest priority. When you control it, you will conquer the NEI and all its oil automatically. No need to invade the oil individually, unless you think taking Batavia will take a few turns instead of a few impulses, or some forces other than the NEI 's occupy those oil hexes. Or, if you need the oil this turn (I believe the conquest phase is after oil usage/saving).
After that, or at the same time if you have enough AMPH/TRS and landing forces, other high priorities are Singapore, Rabaul, Manila... And so on.

(in reply to jboldt007)
Post #: 7
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 12:23:55 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: TeaLeaf

Getting anywhere in the Pacific with Japan indeed means a good understanding of invasions.

Personally, I almost never invade from a section below 3 and this means positioning your invaders and AMPHs well ahead.

During your surprise impulse, your invasions are much stronger because of the -1 Combat Factor the surprised Notionals get. This means you can invade almost everywhere without a problem, even with just 1 division because the notionals will have 0 Combar Factors.
After that, getting opposing Notionals -or whatever defenders- Out Of Supply (chasing off all their allied convoys and TRS), really ups your strength. In case some real forces opposing, you may need to also Disorganize them and first invade nearby hexes, then march towards them. Needless to say (I hope): always bring enough battleships + cruisers to at least double your invading/assaulting factors with shore bombardment.

Batavia is indeed your highest priority. When you control it, you will conquer the NEI and all its oil automatically. No need to invade the oil individually, unless you think taking Batavia will take a few turns instead of a few impulses, or some forces other than the NEI 's occupy those oil hexes. Or, if you need the oil this turn (I believe the conquest phase is after oil usage/saving).
After that, or at the same time if you have enough AMPH/TRS and landing forces, other high priorities are Singapore, Rabaul, Manila... And so on.

You are forgetting the partisan issue here. If there are partisans in NEI, they are usually placed on the oil fields. The Japanese better move those partisans out of the oil fields after they have DoW'ed the CW and occupy that hex with a division, if only because of the fact that the partisan will change sides during the conquest phase and than the controller will move them back on top of your precious oil field again...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 6/28/2018 12:24:31 PM >

Peter

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 8
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 5:11:07 PM   
TeaLeaf

You 're right ofc, I forgot about them ;-).

So if you want to prevent partisans from appearing/moving into your oilfields, it's best to occupy the oilfields indeed.
If there's no partisan in the NEI, and you don't mind the 3% chance 1 will pop up (only the calandar year after the DOW), you could invade/land other places. But then you also need to be able to react quickly, if one does appear because you do not want to permanently loose an oil to partisans...

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 9
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 7:32:47 PM   
IBender

quote:

d your highest priority. When you control it, you will conq

Thanks guys this conversation was really helpful.

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 10
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 7:36:25 PM   
jboldt007

Is there a separate NEI partisan from the dutch one (don’t have game infront of me to check)...

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 11
RE: Netherlands - 6/28/2018 11:34:25 PM   
paulderynck

The NEI gets partisans. It is a red entry on the chart, so they hate everybody. If they do appear early, they are controlled by Japan until Japan conquers NEI. So moving them away at the right time requires some planning.

Paul

(in reply to jboldt007)
Post #: 12
RE: Netherlands - 6/29/2018 3:07:20 AM   
jboldt007

Son of a gun ... haven’t seen them yet....

Post #: 13
RE: Netherlands - 6/29/2018 4:31:17 AM   
paulderynck

Come to think of it, Japan would not control them unless they arrive very early. Otherwise it would be Italy before Japan conquers NEI.

"Partisans in ‘red’ countries are controlled by the nearest major power currently at war with the major power that controls the country. The nearest is the major power whose capital city is closest to the minor’s capital city. If no major powers are at war with the controlling major power, then the nearest major power on the other side runs the partisans."

Paul

(in reply to jboldt007)
Post #: 14
RE: Netherlands - 6/29/2018 6:48:56 AM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Come to think of it, Japan would not control them unless they arrive very early. Otherwise it would be Italy before Japan conquers NEI.

"Partisans in ‘red’ countries are controlled by the nearest major power currently at war with the major power that controls the country. The nearest is the major power whose capital city is closest to the minor’s capital city. If no major powers are at war with the controlling major power, then the nearest major power on the other side runs the partisans."

The moment Japan DOW's the CW, the partisan should become Japanese controlled, so Japan can than move it out of the oil field during the movement phase.

Peter

Post #: 15
RE: Netherlands - 6/29/2018 5:02:32 PM   
paulderynck

Good point.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 16
RE: Netherlands - 7/6/2018 12:50:07 AM   
jboldt007

Cool!

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Netherlands Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI