Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: New Generation of Frigates

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: New Generation of Frigates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/14/2018 2:03:03 AM   
Footslogger

Here is the article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/we-toured-the-heavily-armed-and-stealthy-warship-that-may-be-the-us-navys-next-frigate/ss-AAyyGNp?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

Warp Speed Captain!

Post #: 1
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/14/2018 2:18:52 AM   
btd64

Nice ship ....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/14/2018 12:27:51 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I would be surprised if the USN go ahead with a foreign design

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/14/2018 5:51:59 PM   
Dili

They don't have anything to go with. USN is top heavy with only Arleigh Burkes as surface ships design.
All other designes are old and the new "transformative" - i would have used a now a 4 letter word - failed : LCS, Zumwallts, even the new carriers have a lot of troubles with new tech catapults and not ready for service.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/15/2018 2:03:47 PM   
wegman58

The LCS (both models) are abject failures. Almost anything else would be better. The Spanish design already is fitted with a lot of American stuff including American VLS so standards (used by Spain already, will be on the Australian versions - fewer and less capable SAMs on the Norwegian ships).

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/15/2018 3:59:43 PM   
traskott

Navantia (spanish shipbuilding company) is a solid shipyard, with lot of experience making warships, including small carriers, FFGs, and such...

Show me the money

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/15/2018 6:02:48 PM   
Dili

Navantia offer has no silent electric propulsion i think, that is currently the top for ASW work and is a more dated design, the advantage as you say is that has already US systems.
Fincantieri has more ship building capability including of course the Italian carriers and een one of USN LCS's -, they also make monster cruise ships which is a very competitive field for example the new Queen Elizabeth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Queen_Elizabeth
They have currently 2 frigate designs, FREMM already at sea and the new PPA that is being build. Since USN wants a version already proved, only the FREEM is offered.

A big difference from this new generation frigate is the crew necessary is reduced in half. They can go with 120 (not including heli crew).

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/15/2018 6:38:27 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Report to Congress on U.S. Navy Next-generation Frigate (FFG(X)) Program

April 17, 2018 7:34 AM

The following is the April 6, 2017 Congressional Research Service report, Navy Frigate (FFG(X)) Program: Background and Issues for Congress.

From the Report

The Navy in 2017 initiated a new program, called the FFG(X) program, to build a class of 20
guided-missile frigates (FFGs). The Navy wants to procure the first FFG(X) in FY2020, the
second in FY2021, and the remaining 18 at a rate of two per year in FY2022-FY2030. The
Navy’s proposed FY2019 budget requests $134.8 million in research and development funding
for the program.

Although the Navy has not yet determined the design of the FFG(X), given the capabilities that
the Navy’s wants the FFG(X) to have, the ship will likely be larger in terms of displacement,
more heavily armed, and more expensive to procure than the Navy’s Littoral Combat Ships
(LCSs). The Navy envisages developing no new technologies or systems for the FFG(X)—the
ship is to use systems and technologies that already exist or are already being developed for use
in other programs.

The Navy’s desire to procure the first FFG(X) in FY2020 does not allow enough time to develop
a completely new design (i.e., a clean-sheet design) for the FFG(X). Consequently, the Navy
intends to build the FFG(X) to a modified version of an existing ship design—an approach called
the parent-design approach. The parent design could be a U.S. ship design or a foreign ship
design. The Navy intends to conduct a full and open competition to select the builder of the
FFG(X). Consistent with U.S. law, the ship is to be built in a U.S. shipyard, even if it is based on
a foreign design.
Multiple industry teams are reportedly competing for the program. Given the
currently envisaged procurement rate of two ships per year, the Navy envisages using a single
builder to build the ships. . . .

https://news.usni.org/2018/04/17/report-congress-u-s-navy-next-generation-frigate-ffgx-program

The Moose

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/16/2018 11:24:19 AM   
LeeChard

Good looking ship!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/16/2018 1:01:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

The LCS (both models) are abject failures. Almost anything else would be better. The Spanish design already is fitted with a lot of American stuff including American VLS so standards (used by Spain already, will be on the Australian versions - fewer and less capable SAMs on the Norwegian ships).

It's become fashionable in the last 30 years or so to knock any new platform being developed by our military. I've heard nothing but catcalls about the F-22; F-35, the LCS and, going way back, the Bradley fighting vehicle ("IT'S A DEATH TRAP!!!!"). All have gone through teething pains and emerged better for the developmental maturity.

"Abject failure"? From what do you derive this point of view? "Overly ambitious"? Perhaps. "Jack of all trades, master of none?" Maybe. Abject failure? Provide your evidence.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: New Generation of Frigates - 6/16/2018 7:41:25 PM   
Dili

None of the equipment you made reference about fought yet against a real opponent including the Bradley. Israelis decided to base their APC on a tank and developed anti anti tank hard kill defences. So yes in land of anti tank missiles Bradley can be a death trap. Even a tank. There is a reason M1's are getting Trophy too https://breakingdefense.com/2018/02/261-m1-tanks-getting-trophy-anti-missile-system-as-army-reorients-to-major-wars/

LCS: the cost of it for what it offers: practically no ASW except the Heli, subpar AAW, and only now putting some anti ship missiles. Shortly a corvette for the price of a medium frigate. Would some day USN find useful to have a 40kt ship to do some raiding, maybe but it could have got it much cheaper. There is also several questions regarding damage survivality with one of LCS variants with an aluminum hull.
This FFG(X) program is the result of the Navy seeing that it failed with LCS and has nothing but Burkes, SSN's and CVN's

In 2013:
https://thediplomat.com/2014/04/us-navys-lcs-is-unfit-for-the-asia-pacific/

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/12324/in-a-blow-to-lcs-the-us-navy-finally-admits-it-needs-a-real-frigate

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: New Generation of Frigates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI