Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rail repair - Finland

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Rail repair - Finland Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rail repair - Finland - 6/13/2018 10:08:19 PM   
tomeck48

How do the Finn's repair Russian Rail hexes? I've checked the rule book but can't seem to find anything.
Post #: 1
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/13/2018 11:22:34 PM   
thedoctorking

They have a few construction battalions in their OB, they are deployed automatically by Finnish HQ's. It doesn't work very well. This is a major constraint on the Finns if they advance very far into the USSR. In a game I'm playing as the USSR northern commander, the Finns have advanced all the way up to Lake Onega, and pretty much all their units are isolated thanks to being more than 100 movement points from their railheads. Should be fun to fight them once blizzard comes.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 2
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/14/2018 12:08:41 AM   
tomeck48

OK, I thought I was missing something, but I guess I'm not. Most of the hexes are partially repaired but very few are 100%. I'm pulling back and digging in.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 3
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/14/2018 6:00:38 AM   
Kantti

I don't know if it has been discussed before, but Finland in fact shared same railroad gauge as Russia so in real life they did only need to repair battle damages (and what Red Army broke while retreating). They didn't need to do the extensive re-gauging Germans did.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 4
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/14/2018 7:20:45 AM   
No idea

Yes, the finnish automatic repair donest work well at all. I have seen a single damaged hex that prevented the supply from going to my units unrepaired for lots of turns. Instead of starting from the border and continuing (what any sane person would do) the repair ai starts randomly and keeps on repairing randomly. Taking up to mid/late 42 to finally repair all or most of the haxes, more than a year after having been conquered.

(in reply to Kantti)
Post #: 5
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/14/2018 11:10:33 AM   
Denniss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kantti

I don't know if it has been discussed before, but Finland in fact shared same railroad gauge as Russia so in real life they did only need to repair battle damages (and what Red Army broke while retreating). They didn't need to do the extensive re-gauging Germans did.
Adjusted as of 1.08.05:
When either side will take hexes north of Finnish No Attack Line, rail will be captured with little damage (between 1% and 16%, with 25% chance for 1% damage).

(in reply to Kantti)
Post #: 6
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/14/2018 12:16:57 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: No idea

Yes, the finnish automatic repair donest work well at all. I have seen a single damaged hex that prevented the supply from going to my units unrepaired for lots of turns. Instead of starting from the border and continuing (what any sane person would do) the repair ai starts randomly and keeps on repairing randomly. Taking up to mid/late 42 to finally repair all or most of the haxes, more than a year after having been conquered.

If you can spare one of your Finnish HQs, put it at the end of the repaired rail line and assign the construction battalions you can guarantee it will repair the next rail hex at least every turn. In effect like a slow FBD. If you use that to fill in the gaps in the auto repair elsewhere you can accelerate the continuous repaired rail you will have available.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 7
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/14/2018 12:24:24 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Adjusted as of 1.08.05:
When either side will take hexes north of Finnish No Attack Line, rail will be captured with little damage (between 1% and 16%, with 25% chance for 1% damage).

Haven't we later retracted that change, as it was causing problems with automated repair?

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 8
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/15/2018 3:53:14 AM   
tomeck48

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 9
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/15/2018 4:35:40 PM   
Aufklaerungs

quote:

Haven't we later retracted that change, as it was causing problems with automated repair?

Damaged hexes are capped at 16%, but in current & recent versions, Finland has a mere three construction battalions to repair the shortest possible route from the June 1941 border to the Svir River. (27 rail hexes)

Aufklärungs

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 10
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/15/2018 11:33:39 PM   
Icier

"If you can spare one of your Finnish HQs, put it at the end of the repaired rail line and assign the
construction battalions you can guarantee it will repair the next rail hex at least every turn"

I do the same as Telemecus & haven't had any problems

< Message edited by Icier -- 6/15/2018 11:38:50 PM >

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 11
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/16/2018 3:34:57 AM   
Aufklaerungs

Another good thread for The War Room?

Aufklärungs

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 12
RE: Rail repair - Finland - 6/16/2018 5:00:00 AM   
thedoctorking

Got to be a corps HQ. Something with a range of 5. Otherwise if you leave them with the Finnish Supremo, they will be all over the place.

I would think that it should be easy to put the railroads up to the Finnish no attack line into the Baltics rail repair area.

(in reply to Aufklaerungs)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Rail repair - Finland Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI