Idea.

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tjhkkr

Idea.

Post by tjhkkr »

Not sure without looking at code how easy this would be...

You do a great many things with 'zones'.
What of being able to put a different set of weather conditions inside of a zone.
I was thinking particularly in the case of Vietnam, weather over the flight deck might be clear, but the weather over Khe Sahn would be fogg or foggy/rainy...
You get the idea.

I know there would be limitations to that idea, but since most of the scenarios are short in duration anyway, it might allow for some interesting conditions.

As I thought about it... one of the big issues might be if the firer is outside the zone, and the target is in the zone.
Anyway, it was just a thought to put out there.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Zaslon

RE: Idea.

Post by Zaslon »

It's a nice idea. Global weather what we have now. The local weather can be defined ust like exclusion zones...You can set up one or more different local weather zones, add ref points and define the weather.
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

As a meteorologist, I would love to help setting up realistic weather systems that move in realistic manners during a scenario. A tropical cyclone would have different structure and size than a large wintertime extrattropical system in the north Atlantic/Pacific. A large high can cause some rough seas along it's periphery. I think the real challenge would be the reversing of flow between the northern and southern hemispheres, but really don't think wind or swell direction is modeled or needs to be.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Of course the introduction of more dynamic weather would be great, and I do like this idea.

I would also add in that there should be an option or a way to have a sort of "Weather" layer on the map so that we can observe weather systems and plan our operations accordingly (Assuming of course that our forces in a given scenario have the ability to do that)
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

BeirutDude
I think given the structure of the game, I am not sure they would model something extreme like a typhoon. Though one might be able to simulate it slightly by concentric zones.
So far, it does not appear that the folks in charge have nibbled at the idea. That is okay; there is lots of cool stuff in the game. And I have lua macros that simulate the weather okay across the who region. [I have to confess that my first pass at it though had the temperature soar to 225 Fahrenheit. That kind of temperature would make combat irrelevant.]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”