Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/10/2018 4:41:25 PM   
MakeeLearn

AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK & DECLASSIFIED FOOTAGE RELEASED IN 1942

Interesting footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISoLLpsWTtE
Post #: 1
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/10/2018 6:02:00 PM   
ericv

interesting footage.

another reminder that the actual attack caused a lot more damage and destroyed a lot more planes than the mechanics of this game can consistently reproduce

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/10/2018 6:42:09 PM   
inqistor

You can destroy number of planes, close to historical, if you will use Historical Start. I have no idea, why it works that way, but even running a turn, without changing any orders, will result in less planet destroyed.

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 3
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/10/2018 7:20:08 PM   
spence

Typically however it seems that more ships are damaged or sunk than was historically accomplished (18 total) although the number of BBs sunk varies widely from none to 6 (in my experience).

More often than not it seems that more torpedo squadrons carry torpedoes than historically carried torpedoes. It is also notable that the 800 kg bomb employed by the IJN bombers experiences nothing like the 60% dud/low order detonation rate that the bomb actually displayed in the attack.

I believe some folks have said something along the lines of "It's a game; if you want history, then read a book".

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 4
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/10/2018 7:44:46 PM   
Leandros

Cool - tks for posting.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018F2QMEW?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/11/2018 3:17:50 PM   
spence

In the real life attack on Pearl Harbor the Japanese lost 29 planes and the commentary of the Japanese pilots in the 2nd half of the strike uniformly described the flak as very heavy. I'm not sure where I read this but IIRC the Japanese had an additional 77 a/c damaged.

I personally don't play the Japanese, mostly because I have no interest in playing the "production game". A quick survey of the IJ AARs seems to show from 2 to 10 planes being shot down with another few damaged out of the strike. This result is significantly fewer than in the real strike but the IJ Players do not typically post the number of carrier a/c lost to operational reasons or the damaged a/c aboard the carriers after the strike.

I assume that FOW obscures the actual losses sustained in the PH strike. Perhaps some IJ players would like to share just how beat up their carrier air groups were after that 1st strike.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 6
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/11/2018 4:40:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I assume that FOW obscures the actual losses sustained in the PH strike. Perhaps some IJ players would like to share just how beat up their carrier air groups were after that 1st strike.

Playing the December 8 turn in my game versus Leandros (just starting). The damaged airframes are indeed reflected in this historical start. On at least one CV, I only have 7 functional A6M2s, with the balance (12?) being damaged. Vals and Kates are also pretty beaten up, but not quite as much as the fighters.

ETA: I have no idea whether these IRL damaged airframes are reflected in any AI game or not. Being as the AI cheats like a ******-******, I don't know whether it would make any difference in any case.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 6/11/2018 4:41:40 PM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/12/2018 9:29:45 AM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I personally don't play the Japanese, mostly because I have no interest in playing the "production game". A quick survey of the IJ AARs seems to show from 2 to 10 planes being shot down with another few damaged out of the strike. This result is significantly fewer than in the real strike but the IJ Players do not typically post the number of carrier a/c lost to operational reasons or the damaged a/c aboard the carriers after the strike.

If one leaves KB orders intact, flak will cause lots of damage, especially to Vals and Zeros, which are set to strafe from 100 feet. But most players increase bombing altitude and cancel strafing altogether (at least I do), hence the fewer damaged planes.

< Message edited by Olorin -- 6/12/2018 9:32:01 AM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK - 6/13/2018 11:38:27 AM   
LeeChard

Watching the refloating was interesting.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AFTERMATH OF PEARL HARBOR ATTACK Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI