AA fire freezes game

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Mayhemizer_slith

AA fire freezes game

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Version 2.7.1

Solitaire

Fire both French and German AA guns. When Germany fires, button goes grey and game freezes. When I played this, I saved at this stage and moved on normally. When I came back reloading game, I was not able to move on.

Or actually I can click the green button, but it goes grey and nothing happens. I reloaded game from Ground support CAP phase and same thing happened.
Attachments
AAbug.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

RE: AA fire freezes game

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Also if German AA fires result 2 vs factor 3 bomber it negates bomber. I guess bomber should be able to provide 1 point ground support after that.

Edit: I think I wrong about this part, it works right now when I tested it again.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
eouellet

Post by eouellet »

Got the same problem.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

Version 2.7.1

Solitaire

Fire both French and German AA guns. When Germany fires, button goes grey and game freezes. When I played this, I saved at this stage and moved on normally. When I came back reloading game, I was not able to move on.

Or actually I can click the green button, but it goes grey and nothing happens. I reloaded game from Ground support CAP phase and same thing happened.
In this game the German AA is part of a land attack against an enemy hex. The rules are vague as to whether it should be able to also fire during the AA subphase of land combat (against defending air units flying ground support).

Currently the program splits the difference, letting the attacker fire his AA unit, but then not implementing the fire against the enemy bomber (the game hangs at that point of confusion).

===

I am thinking of modifying the code so if an AA unit belonging to the attacker is part of a land attack, then it cannot fire during the AA phase. I know that the defender can do both. But it seems a lot to ask of an attacking unit.

But I am open to feedback on this "rules question".
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: eouellet

Got the same problem.
If you have a saved game for this, I would like to have a copy.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

An Attacking AA unit can definitely fire at defender ground support aircraft and still be part of the attacking force, and maintain any doubling against defending armor/mech if also red-circled. It must flip even if the attack results in all other attackers staying face-up.

The rules say "If firing against aircraft providing ground support, turn the AA unit face-down after Advancing after combat (see 11.16.5)." Advancing after combat states: "If the combat leaves the target hex empty of enemy land units (MiF option 6: except supply units), you can advance any of your attacking units into the hex."

If the AA could not also attack, despite firing AA, then there would be no need for the wording above.

Also if you could not do both, you'd be plagued by players doing extensive calculations over the balance of losing FREX 6 already committed attack factors versus getting rid of 1 or 2 or 3 etc. defending aircraft factors.
Paul
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

the FAQ, agrees. you can use offensive AA
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Agreed. That's RAW...
Peter
eouellet

Post by eouellet »

Hi Steve,

I was able to re-create it. The conditions are as follow:

- AA unit is not part of the land attack;
- No ground support nor interception from the attacker;
- Select all shots for the AA unit.

The AA fire result shows, but once the plane is selected, all the buttons at the bottom turn dark gray, and are unselectable.
It seems to occur only if the plane Tac level is not fully reduced. I had to run it a few times, but got the error more than once.

Thanks
Attachments
AA2Bug.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
eouellet

Post by eouellet »

Here is what it looks like.
Attachments
AAProblem.jpg
AAProblem.jpg (285.31 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Return to “Tech Support”