Aircraft numbers in combat report

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

MaB1708

Aircraft numbers in combat report

Post by MaB1708 »

Gentlemen, even when following the battles with the highest level of detail I do not see any accurate explanation for the numbers on the defenders aircraft section, reading sth like "5 : 12 MiG-3".
Yes, numbers seem to degrade "somehow" while enemies machines were destroyed, but exactly what the relation is I have not figured out. Any explanation from the community?
Cheers,
M

Attachments
CR_ac.jpg
CR_ac.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Telemecus

RE: Aircraft numbers in combat report

Post by Telemecus »

Is your question how it is decided how many aircraft are in the battle (for example the 41 German fighters above). Or are you trying to work out how they got to the number of losses (for example no German losses and 9 Soviet losses in the example above)?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

Telemedus, it is about this "26:40" ratio (see soviet section on the right side: "26:40 Ar-2"). What does 26 and 40 mean? If the combat report tells me "Ar-2 destroyed (whatever reason) it seems sometimes number on the left (26) goes down, sometimes number on the right (40), sometimes both. What do I see when I see those pairs "26:40", "5:7", "35:52" changing value?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Ah I see - just another question was the battle a bomb an airfield mission? I am afraid my German is not good enough to be sure. But if so the 26:40 might relate to the aeroplanes that were on the ground when you bombed it? Ar-2 and Pe-2 are bombers that would not have taken off to intercept your aircraft - but will still have been destroyed on the ground. If I remember this rightly that should mean you 14 Ar-2 and 2 pe-2 or 16 in total are no longer operational - although you can see only 12 actually got destroyed.

However the aircraft battle results in the left and right panels are not always reliable - I would only trust the ones in the centre.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

I thought that eg 5 : 7 PE meant that there were 12 PEs on the airfield and only 5 fit to fly
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

I thought that eg 5 : 7 PE meant that there were 12 PEs on the airfield and only 5 fit to fly

That could be right actually - I only ever paid attention to the 5 and even then looked at the hex pop up for the base to be certain [:)]
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

Thank you for your hints, gentlemen. Yes, it is a airfield bombing mission.
Does anyone know for sure what these numbers stand for?
Thanks,
M
antoniusb

Post by antoniusb »

99% sure that the first number is how many undamaged and the second number is the total number of aircraft including damaged. I am pretty sure that "5:7" does not mean 12 aircraft of which 5 are operational as I have never seen the number on the right less than the number on the left. Also, can see when you destroy a plane that frequently both the number on the right and left decrease simultaneously (when you see only the number on the right go down that indicates a damaged plane has been destroyed).
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

I add the final 1%, together we are 100% sure.
Left number operational planes, right number overall number of aircraft, included damaged ones.
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

Fantastic, thanks everyone for the information, appreciated!
Cheers,
M

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”