Solstice air ops in Northern Russia / Finland

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Kielec

Solstice air ops in Northern Russia / Finland

Post by Kielec »

June is coming, and I have recently remembered this trip to St.Petersburg some years ago. It was early June, and I still have this picture taken on a boat on the canals where we both wear sunglasses (because it is a sunny night) and the time is 2330. Half an hour before midnight. Full sunshine in your face.

I'm writing this to suggest that the air ops model may require some modifications. Obviously, St. Petersburg and the areas north of it do not get much night time from mid May till later July. In the winter, there is scarcely any daylight in December and January. I think this should be reflected In the game.
How exactly? Not a clue, but certainly all air ops in December (till mid Jan?) ARE night-ops, and there is no night operations in June (till mid July?).

I understand that drawing a geographical "no-night-in-June line" would require bold and risky action, but then, the weather zones came to existence somehow, so perhaps not all is lost.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”