Questions About Order of Battle WW II

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Erik2, Lukas

canuckgamer

Questions About Order of Battle WW II

Post by canuckgamer »

For Order of Battle WWII which is the base game it indicates that you can play it PBEM. Yet for two of the DLC, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific it indicates that neither can be played PBEM. This doesn't make sense, please clarify.

Secondly, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific covers some of the same battles like Coral Sea and Midway so what is the difference between the two?
Erik2

RE: Questions About Order of Battle WW II

Post by Erik2 »

Somenone from Matrix/Slitherine needs to answer the multiplayer issue (it is server-based, not sending files by email).
My guess is that you need to purchase 1 campaign to play multiplayer (or use the editors).

In Rising Sun you command the Japanese and US Pacific the Americans.

95bravo

Post by 95bravo »

In Panzer General, when you won the grand campaign you went on to land on the sunny, scenic east coast of the USA. Order of Battle does not give you that fantasy path to relish. Bummer.
bootiger30

Post by bootiger30 »

I thought I read that you could export your core force from Blitzkrieg to Panzerkrieg. If so how ?
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

This game any good? Looks like you have to buy a new scenario every 10 minutes?
budd

Post by budd »

You have to buy one of the games to play pbem. All the DLC are single player, but there are plenty of MP scenarios for download here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=64991. The games a lot of fun pbem.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

I have a couple of them (Marines & Europe). Never really got in it. The PBEM seems very limited in scenarios. Do many people play the custom scenarios? Are there many European scenarios.

Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for the help.
Vadim84

Post by Vadim84 »

Game is good, naval/air is better than Panzercorps and also the supply system. I got 3 campaign on discount price (morning/rising sun + pacific) very good deal.

You do have "what if" when you win with Japan on rising sun, you invade New Zealand and Australia.
ThunderLizard11

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

It's a great game especially the early Pacific campaigns. I never got PBEM to work for me though.
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

I liked a bunch of the games. I found the PBEM component to be poor.
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Full disclosure: I am a moderator over on the Slitherine OOB forums but don't let that concern you. I am no fanboy; just a customer with an inordinate amount of interest in this game.

As to multiplayer and PBEM, I cannot comment. I play exclusively against the AI. I can tell you, however, that the game itself is sound and well-designed for the most part (current version 6.1.9). Most of the issues encountered these days are lingering minor faults in unit characteristics and scenario design.

Designing a scenario for single play versus the AI is tough, take it from me. It requires many more "triggers" (programming entries, essentially) than a multiplayer scenario does. Each trigger introduces the possibilities of conflicts and errors.

That said, I am satisfied that the DLC and the custom campaigns and scenarios are generally well-designed and functioning well. Things crop up once in a while and are reported in the Slitherine OOB forums (not as much here; this forum is exceedingly quiet, probably because people migrate to Slitherine where the action is). The DLC issues get fixed but not until patches are released. The custom stuff gets fixed if the designer is still around and engaged. Erik is definitely one of those people.

Lastly, but certainly not least, a customer need only purchase one of the official DLC to have access to the custom campaigns and scenarios contributed by members of the community. That is a big, big plus.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ORIGINAL: Deja Bru

Full disclosure: I am a moderator over on the Slitherine OOB forums but don't let that concern you. I am no fanboy; just a customer with an inordinate amount of interest in this game.

As to multiplayer and PBEM, I cannot comment. I play exclusively against the AI. I can tell you, however, that the game itself is sound and well-designed for the most part (current version 6.1.9). Most of the issues encountered these days are lingering minor faults in unit characteristics and scenario design.

Designing a scenario for single play versus the AI is tough, take it from me. It requires many more "triggers" (programming entries, essentially) than a multiplayer scenario does. Each trigger introduces the possibilities of conflicts and errors.

That said, I am satisfied that the DLC and the custom campaigns and scenarios are generally well-designed and functioning well. Things crop up once in a while and are reported in the Slitherine OOB forums (not as much here; this forum is exceedingly quiet, probably because people migrate to Slitherine where the action is). The DLC issues get fixed but not until patches are released. The custom stuff gets fixed if the designer is still around and engaged. Erik is definitely one of those people.

Lastly, but certainly not least, a customer need only purchase one of the official DLC to have access to the custom campaigns and scenarios contributed by members of the community. That is a big, big plus.
Note to self: Lose this Deja Bru persona. It is confusing as heck. Note to community: It's a long and old story. This is the real me, bru888.
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

Thanks for the your response.

I have the Rising Sun, Marines, Pacific & Blitzkrieg games. I don't find many of those scenarios in the PBEM (or many of interest). Am I missing something? I'd prefer to play PBEM.

Probably it makes sense for me to go back and give this a shot vs AI. I've played Panzer General & Corps quite a bit. This is possibly more intricate which I should appreciate.

Denes

Post by Denes »

I'm sorry for English knowledge.
My question:
Can I replace a fighter with a bomber during a Scenario?
I only have points for 3 airplane so I'm starting with 2 fighters and 1 stuka, but in the middle of the scenario I would like to change, I'll call the figther back to the reserve, and I would take a stuka from the reserve. Is it possible to do so or just at the beginning ?
Thank you very much if someone helps !!
terminator

Post by terminator »

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II”