Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 5/27/2018 1:36:44 AM   
76mm

I've finally got a bit more time now and want to start playing around with the editor.

On page 11 of the manual (Section 3.3.1), it says that if "Trusted PBEM" is turned on, you can export an XML file for loading into the editor. How exactly do you do that, I can't figure it out... Also, what exactly is exported, the current state of the game?

Two other issues:
1) In the editor, for some reason often when I hit "Open Scenario" absolutely nothing happens, and I have to exit the editor and re-enter before I can open a scenario--what might be going on there?

2) I am having trouble scrolling to the south for some reason, the other directions seem to work OK--any idea what I could be doing wrong here?
Post #: 1
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 5/27/2018 12:31:25 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I've finally got a bit more time now and want to start playing around with the editor.

On page 11 of the manual (Section 3.3.1), it says that if "Trusted PBEM" is turned on, you can export an XML file for loading into the editor. How exactly do you do that, I can't figure it out... Also, what exactly is exported, the current state of the game?

Two other issues:
1) In the editor, for some reason often when I hit "Open Scenario" absolutely nothing happens, and I have to exit the editor and re-enter before I can open a scenario--what might be going on there?

2) I am having trouble scrolling to the south for some reason, the other directions seem to work OK--any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

I would wager for the trusted PBEM thingy there's a hot key to make the XML file once the trusted PBEM game is loaded into your TOAW game. Then you would open the editor and load the XML file from there. Just guessing, never did this meself. Also it indicates both players have to have Trusted PBEM game turned on when the game is started, not after.

Not having either issue 1 or 2. Maybe Bob could help you out there?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 5/27/2018 1:43:43 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Also it indicates both players have to have Trusted PBEM game turned on when the game is started, not after.

Ooops, I think I only turned it on for the first player.

Another note/question: to test this, I'm playing a "PBEM" game vs myself, and every time I open the name I get a message that I or my opponent may be playing with a pirated version... Any way to get that to stop?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 5/27/2018 4:59:04 PM   
76mm

OK, I just tried again from a hotseat game. "Trusted PBEM" is a game option, not a player option, so you only need to select it once as far as I can tell. In the game, the only option to save or export is to save it as a .sal file. If I do so, rename it as an .sce file, and open it in the editor, it opens but all of the game data seems to be encrypted. What am I doing wrong here?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 5/27/2018 9:17:16 PM   
76mm

OK, making some progress... I figured out that I could open the xml file of a save game by:
1) turning on Trusted PBEM;
2) saving a turn as a .sal file;
3) changing the extension from .sal to .sce;
4) opening the .sce file in the scenario editor;
5) exporting the scenario as an XML (.gam) file; and
6) using Notepad++ to open the .gam file.

I could make simple changes to the .gam file, re-import in the scenario editor, save as an .sce file, and open the scenario. So far I just revised equipment numbers and dates, have not tried to add any units, etc. As many have pointed out, one problem with this aproach is that the turn is reset to 1; I thought that I could fix this by revising the turn number (and date) in the .gam file, but whatever I change it to there, the scenario opens on Turn 1, although the date changes are recognized.

This is a fairly clunky process, please let me know if I've missed some more streamlined process.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 5/31/2018 9:02:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

OK, making some progress... I figured out that I could open the xml file of a save game by:

1) turning on Trusted PBEM;
2) saving a turn as a .sal file;
3) changing the extension from .sal to .sce;
4) opening the .sce file in the scenario editor;
5) exporting the scenario as an XML (.gam) file; and
6) using Notepad++ to open the .gam file.

I could make simple changes to the .gam file, re-import in the scenario editor, save as an .sce file, and open the scenario. So far I just revised equipment numbers and dates, have not tried to add any units, etc. As many have pointed out, one problem with this aproach is that the turn is reset to 1; I thought that I could fix this by revising the turn number (and date) in the .gam file, but whatever I change it to there, the scenario opens on Turn 1, although the date changes are recognized.

This is a fairly clunky process, please let me know if I've missed some more streamlined process.

I found this in the KeyCommands.txt file in the Manuals folder:

F11 - Creates a NewGameText.xml file

And I assume that's the key you used and you already know about it.

Thanks for your help with this because I'd like to use your method myself. I know of no other way.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/31/2018 9:04:35 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 10:22:19 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I found this in the KeyCommands.txt file in the Manuals folder:

F11 - Creates a NewGameText.xml file

Hey Larry, actually I hadn't noticed that hotkey--I just saved from the normal menu and then renamed the file. But I will try this later today. I've also been playing with exporting/importing .oob files, will try to post about that as well.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 2:38:13 PM   
76mm

Larry, it looks like from an ongoing scenario the F11 hotkey saves equipment files (.eqp and .nqp) to the C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV folder.

Not sure yet what, if anything, you can do with these files other than review them.

Also, you probably already know this, but you can also use the SHFT-CTRL-F4 keys to save each side's OOB during an ongoing scenario, with these OOBs showing current losses, etc. The problem is that it is not clear what, if anything, you can do with these files either.

For instance, in the scenario editor, if you go into the Force Editor and select "Open OOB" from the menu, it asks for an .ool file, not an .oob file. But if you go to the Force Editor and press the F5 key, it asks for an .oob file. But I have had two problems when I try to load an .oob file into a scenario:
1) when starting from a new scenario, sometimes I get an error "Parent Unit is invalid. Check the log for details." I have not been able to find the relevant log, but if I press OK for each of these errors (one for every unit in the OOB), the OOB actually seems to work; or
2) when starting from a new scenario, with some .oob files, they just don't work, nothing happens when I try to load them.

Trying to load the .oob file into the scenario from which it was extracted is even worse---every time I have tried it, the program hangs.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 2:53:10 PM   
76mm

One more weird thing I've noticed: if you save a Trusted PBEM game as a .sal file, change it to a .sce file, and export it to a .gam file, in which case the Turn Number is always converted to 1. You can, however revise the Turn Number in the .gam file to whatever turn you want, but the results will be slightly weird: when you reimport the .gam file, save it as a .sce file, and open the scenario, the game will say that it is Turn 1, whatever turn you revised the .gam file to say. BUT the event engine will recognize whatever turn you have inserted into the .gam file. Note that if you change the turn number in the .gam file, you should change the game date accordingly.

I'll see if I can upload a scenario file showing what I mean...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 9
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 2:55:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry, it looks like from an ongoing scenario the F11 hotkey saves equipment files (.eqp and .nqp) to the C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV folder.

Not sure yet what, if anything, you can do with these files other than review them.

Also, you probably already know this, but you can also use the SHFT-CTRL-F4 keys to save each side's OOB during an ongoing scenario, with these OOBs showing current losses, etc. The problem is that it is not clear what, if anything, you can do with these files either.

For instance, in the scenario editor, if you go into the Force Editor and select "Open OOB" from the menu, it asks for an .ool file, not an .oob file. But if you go to the Force Editor and press the F5 key, it asks for an .oob file. But I have had two problems when I try to load an .oob file into a scenario:
1) when starting from a new scenario, sometimes I get an error "Parent Unit is invalid. Check the log for details." I have not been able to find the relevant log, but if I press OK for each of these errors (one for every unit in the OOB), the OOB actually seems to work; or
2) when starting from a new scenario, with some .oob files, they just don't work, nothing happens when I try to load them.

Trying to load the .oob file into the scenario from which it was extracted is even worse---every time I have tried it, the program hangs.

Hey there 76mm dude. Thanks for your observations. They sound like bugs, to me all of them. I've never heard of an OOL file and I've never started from a new scenario so of course I wouldn't have found what you've found....good job. They both sound like there's something seriously wrong. If I were you I'd cut and paste this report into the tech help section and see if the DEV can look into it.
A saved game file or a scenario file might help out the process. I hope there's a fix for this because you and I can't create a new scenario with what we've got.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/1/2018 2:56:10 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 2:58:41 PM   
76mm

You can download and unzip this scenario, for which I've revised the .gam file to Turn 11, and inserted an event announcing "This is Turn 11". When the scenario starts, the game says it is Turn 1, but also fires the Turn 11 event. Moreover, the Turn 1 events are not fired.

Also, while it won't be obvious to anyone but me, I've also revised the OOB in this file by changing assigned equipment numbers and inserting a new unit. No problems with that so far...

Anyway, from what I've seeing it might indeed be possible to modify various parts of an ongoing scenario being played under Trusted PBEM settings and continue to play the scenario. So far the process is rather fiddly but I expect it could be automated by someone with more programming skills than me without much difficulty, if the interest is there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/1/2018 3:09:16 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 3:01:58 PM   
76mm

quote:

They sound like bugs, to me all of them. I've never heard of an OOL file and I've never started from a new scenario so of course I wouldn't have found what you've found....good job. They both sound like there's something seriously wrong. If I were you I'd cut and paste this report into the tech help section and see if the DEV can look into it.

Hey Larry, I'll try to post this into the tech forum later today, but in all fairness, I'm not sure if these are bugs, or if I'm just torturing the editor by using it for stuff for which it was not really designed--modifying saved game files and then re-importing them into the game.

But at the very least there is some weird and not very consistent stuff going on...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/1/2018 3:17:08 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 4:34:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

It was my understanding that you indeed
COULD change the file extension and edit
a PBL file ( or a SAL file too ) as if it
were a scenario and then save it and change
the SCE back to a PBL and load it. But I
could be wrong. It would be a lot easier
to monkey with these games if you COULD
just change the file extension.

EDIT: I changed the SAL file I was working
on to an SCE file and loaded it in the
editor and edited it by moving one unit
to a different spot and then saved the
scenario with a different name than the
SAL file. Then I changed the file name of
the saved editor file to an SAL file and
then tried to load it in the game and
got an error message. Evidently you
CANNOT do that after all.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/1/2018 4:46:01 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 13
RE: XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? - 6/1/2018 6:09:20 PM   
76mm

quote:

It was my understanding that you indeed
COULD change the file extension and edit
a PBL file ( or a SAL file too ) as if it
were a scenario and then save it and change
the SCE back to a PBL and load it.

Larry, I am pretty sure that you CAN do this, but directly in the editor, and you don't change it back to a .pbl, but start it over as a new scenario (.sce) based on your .sal file. I am trying to see if you can modify the xml (.gam) file for a saved game outside of the editor. As far as I can tell, this is also possible, but a bit cludgy at the moment. I guess you could actually get back to a .sal file by opening the new .sce file and immediately saving it--resulting in a .sal--but I've never tried this...

quote:

EDIT: I changed the SAL file I was working
on to an SCE file and loaded it in the
editor and edited it by moving one unit
to a different spot and then saved the
scenario with a different name than the
SAL file. Then I changed the file name of
the saved editor file to an SAL file and
then tried to load it in the game and
got an error message. Evidently you
CANNOT do that after all.

Larry, as explained above, what you need to do is change the .sal file to a .sce file, and then use the .sce file, not change it back to a .sal file. You can do this, the only downside is that the turn is set back to 1, unless you monkey with it as described in one of my previous posts in this thread.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/1/2018 9:57:00 PM >

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> XML Export from Trusted PBEM Games? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI