Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IJA/N infantry squads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> IJA/N infantry squads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IJA/N infantry squads - 5/17/2018 12:54:22 AM   
DOCUP

So I am looking at increasing the values of the IJA/N infantry, combat eng squads. I'm asking for recommendations on how and the values. I am not a Japanese expert.

My thoughts are: Japan starts to mass produce the SMG 100/44 in 1943. Maybe a better battle rifle (not for sure what one). Maybe the TERA rifle in 43 and the Type 4 in 45. I don't know if they need a better light MG or not. Better squad anti tank weapon, yes. I don't know what thought.

Any idea?
Post #: 1
RE: IJA/N infantry squads - 5/17/2018 2:36:08 AM   
John 3rd

Look at Leland Ness's work on Rikugun.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 2
RE: IJA/N infantry squads - 5/17/2018 5:49:55 AM   
Dili

I think bolt action rifles have marginal differences, things change only with Garand w/semi auto.

In my Med mod a squad is a sum of all men base on combat weapon values of my own making:

Bolt action rifle has 1.6 value per man - up to 9 men 0.9 for any other subsequent.
Garand 2.2 per men up to 9 men - 0.9 for any other
SMG 2.8 per men up to 3 men - 1.0 for any other with this weapon. This represents the shock value, but the quantity hit implies that a squad with only this weapon is penalized - this simulates the lack of combat range in a SMG only based squad.

LMG this is where are the differences between weapons are noticed: MG34/42 5 ; Solothurn 31M, 4.5 Bren 4.25, Fm29 3.875 ,Breda 30/Hotchkiss 3.375 BAR 2.75 ,Chauchat 2 any of this weapons implies a support man with a rifle with a value 1.0. So an MG 34 implies a value of 3 per men. These values have valid only for the first LMG. Any other and it is half the values.

If the squad has more than 11 men any subsequent one has a value of 0.9 irrespective of weapon. Studies have shown that squads over that number are difficult to command.
So in my system i value weapons variety in a squad.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3
RE: IJA/N infantry squads - 5/17/2018 8:36:11 AM   
inqistor

Japan got shaped charged technology from Germany in 1942. Mission resulted in development of Type 2 rifle grenade launcher and AT grenades.

Report from Kiska battle, lists some weird 70mm mortar, new model of grenade, and knee mortar.
Report from Tarawa battle indicates, that SNLF employed MGs in pairs, and every was supported by knee mortar (that is probably why reported SNLF structure have so much support weapon in US report).

Ocean Divisions got their squads divided into two sections. There will be lots of work to model this, but it should result in almost doubling AV for Division (with poor firepower). Also, reports indicate that 20mm AT Rifles were employed excessively, although Taki claims, that they were removed entirely from use early in the war. There are reports, that Squads in China were also divided.

And lastly, most of semi-automatic Rifles were send in last transport to Okinawa (but I don't know if they reached destination).

Anyway, you have Type 100 grenade discharger, Type 2 rifle grenade launcher, Type 4 70 mm AT Rocket Launcher, and SMG 100, which were produced in large enough numbers to use.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> IJA/N infantry squads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI