Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/9/2018 6:17:39 PM   
Macclan5

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread...

Looked back a number of pages did not see a specific thread.

Has anyone here bought and tried the new release ?

Interestingly I was just opining that I thought / would love to see the WITP AE engine for such a scenario; I recognize there would or could be tons of challenges to it... the least of which is 'land combat unit' movement - off the top of my head.

However this new game - while not exact - seems to have similar or the same 'sorts of mechanics' as this treasure.

Its wego however (a variation I am entirely familiar with) none the less - LCUs, HQ's, ships and planes ! Oh my.

If you love this gem of a game do you love War in the Desert ... and hopefully its sequel on to Tunisia ?

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Post #: 1
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/10/2018 6:13:11 AM   
oaltinyay

Actually I did ... it is a nice one. A bit reminiscent of the old W@W games that I really loved. I gave it a go for some scenarios and it is quite OK in terms of reality though I would like to micro manage a bit but well there is nothing like WITPAE :)

We can have a go at the PBEM if you are interested.

"Battles are fought by cowards afraid to run" - Gene Wolfe

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 2
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/10/2018 5:25:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Interestingly I was just opining that I thought / would love to see the WITP AE engine for such a scenario; I recognize there would or could be tons of challenges to it... the least of which is 'land combat unit' movement - off the top of my head.

However this new game - while not exact - seems to have similar or the same 'sorts of mechanics' as this treasure.

Its wego however (a variation I am entirely familiar with) none the less - LCUs, HQ's, ships and planes ! Oh my.

If you love this gem of a game do you love War in the Desert ... and hopefully its sequel on to Tunisia ?
warspite1

I bought the game as I want to support War in the Desert games to encourage others. I haven't had a chance to play it yet and am a little put off by the lack of a campaign.

If War in the the Desert scratches an itch and you want a campaign game then this is pretty damn good

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4413713&mpage=32�

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 3
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/11/2018 11:24:09 AM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I bought the game as I want to support War in the Desert games to encourage others.

If War in the the Desert scratches an itch and you want a campaign game then this is pretty damn good

Yes to both.. and Fathers day comes in June... so I know what I want

The lack of a Campaign surprised me somewhat as well..

As I read through it appears to be limited to 12 odd scenario play although they do advertise something called "Along comes Rommel - only available in Multiplayer version".

I scanned through the scenario list but did not especially notice a variation of "Bomb Alley" ; that very old SSI game I played and loved trying to supply Malta ; It fits within the time frame of the game launch and I sincerely hope that I simply missed it - or its coming adding a naval focus to what looks to be a very good game.

--

I rather hope - assume - based on the economic model for game development - the next update or expansion pack will be "Operation Torch and Road to Tunisia" .. and that a campaign mode will be part and parcel of that.

It would appear a Campaign mode would be relatively simple to implement once Torch and Tunisia are ready.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/11/2018 2:52:57 PM   
oaltinyay

Actually I didnt know the Operational Art of War was gave u this kind of scale, I will look deeper. I guess PBEM is supported ?

I think I would still setle for tthe old CCS Desert Rats and Vulcan! games on my speccy for North Africa. THey are still playable

"Battles are fought by cowards afraid to run" - Gene Wolfe

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 5
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/12/2018 2:32:10 PM   
warspite1

Yes, the link is to an AAR for a PBEM game. In fact I think most of the AAR's are PBEM.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 6
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/12/2018 6:28:03 PM   
Dili

I count to have my Med 1940-43 Mod finished in 6 months-1 year time.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/12/2018 7:35:16 PM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I bought the game as I want to support War in the Desert games to encourage others. I haven't had a chance to play it yet and am a little put off by the lack of a campaign.

That's from TOAW?

Edit: Which one? I've got III, but due to AE never really played.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 5/12/2018 7:42:09 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/12/2018 8:11:35 PM   
dasboot1960

I was fortunate enough to do a little playtesting on Desert War. It was early on and real life prevented me from participating in play tests as much as I would like. I was impressed with what I saw. Limited intelligence, different unit types giving combined arms effect, modifiers for sigint, air power and naval power. Very much a land game, and given the way air and naval were modeled, I would think not well suited to a long campaign. I very much did enjoy the battles I played, both against the AI. This was about 6 months before the game was published.

< Message edited by dasboot1960 -- 5/12/2018 8:12:51 PM >

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/12/2018 8:12:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

quote:

warspite1

That's from TOAW?

Edit: Which one? I've got III, but due to AE never really played.
warspite1

Yes, TOAWIV

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
RE: Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 - 5/12/2018 8:42:15 PM   
rustysi

quote:

warspite1

Yes, TOAWIV

OK, thanks. Yeah, thought about it when I saw it come out, but didn't bite due to AE. Maybe end of year, as I'll be done with my current game by then and maybe looking for something new. Including a computer as mine is approaching 8 years old and I'm having some problems.

Still trying to get back to some board games. Recently found a 'sealed' copy of Advanced Third Reich, but no time there either, much less for WIF. That purchase may have been a costly mistake. Ah, so many games, so little time, and I'm retired. Two grandchildren do take some time, but not too much yet. Where the he$$ does it all go.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Semi OT : War in the Desert 40 - 42 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI