Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allies Sun Tzu

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Allies Sun Tzu Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allies Sun Tzu - 5/3/2018 5:46:50 PM   
MakeeLearn

The Art of War for the Allies?

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/4/2018 8:07:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/3/2018 6:37:34 PM   
AW1Steve

Time spent on reconnaissance/patrol is never wasted. While you don't have many decent RECON pilots or planes , and those you have leave much to be desired, put them to work training. By the time you are ready to go on the offensive , they will be.

Forewarned is forearmed and makes sure that you don't get short-armed. Patrol , patrol, patrol then patrol some more. Everything you have that makes a decent patrol plane should be out patrolling. Generally this means the USN , but a few USAAF planes should be used for this , and any commonwealth Hudson III LR. Obviously PBY type planes , or anything else designated patrol should fly , and cover as much water as possible. If it floats , or submerge occasionally and flies the Rising sun , its a danger to you. YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE IT IS! AS much as possible. That way you can defend against the threat , or run away if more appropriate .

Sir Robin becomes henny penny if he doesn't know where your enemy is. DO NOT USE YOUR MPA's (maritime patrol aircraft) AS STRIKE AIRCRAFT. Certainly not till late 1943. (I still would not). They are way too valuable , and you never have enough of them. Fly your MPA's as far and as often as you dare. You may lose a few air frames or crews , but wouldn't you trade a couple of each to avoid another Pearl Harbor? THAT's what is at stake here.

And you can re-route your convoys around his ships and subs. Early in the war your ASW generally blows , and most of your "ASW" ships generally find a sub when it puts torpedo's into them. So the best ASW tactic you can practice is to avoid them.

Try not to use strategic (or for that matter any USAAF aircraft for asw) as you'll have much better uses for them (save THAT for my next dictum). But you MIGHT use a dedicated LB-30 squadron for that purpose. They are too fragile for combat , but their range is phenomenal and eventually (after you've worn out the LB-30's) you might convert it to a RECON squadron. (look for Bomber squadrons labeled as RS squadrons. They are your best choice. Convert them to LB-30's when you can. Then use them for "Special patrollers" to keep a watch on dangerous areas like where you think the KB is).

Feel free to PM or email me for advice on this or other matters.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/4/2018 1:37:54 AM   
MakeeLearn

From my Experience of ONE war as Allies.

Time is on your side, but don't delay in organizing and concentrating your forces. Decide where you want to hold at all cost, where you want to dance with the Japanese and where you wish to run from.

In harmony with the post above, RECON and SEARCH are the foundation that your decisions will be built upon.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/4/2018 1:38:48 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/9/2018 3:02:01 PM   
Rusty1961

Nothing kills like over-kill. Mass/Concentrate all forces for destruction of important targets. Don't play the Japanes' game.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/9/2018 6:07:49 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Nothing kills like over-kill. Mass/Concentrate all forces for destruction of important targets. Don't play the Japanes' game.

Unfortunately, this makes for a less desirable game experience...at least for me. It is the META, however.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 5
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/10/2018 2:39:44 PM   
AW1Steve

Actually overkill in the beginning of the game IS the Japanese game. Unless you can come up with another description of 6 CV's banded together.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/10/2018 2:54:15 PM   
AW1Steve

The allied player should watch "Victory At Sea" to prepare for his game. You will be so incredibly GD@#^^&&* sick of loading and unloading ships to the point that you want to scream.

Another thing to remember is that the allies actually have sufficient forces to stop the Japanese cold at the start of the game. But here's the rub...they are in the worst possible places , situations and conditions to fight him. If you honestly said "he I want to put the allied forces in the poorest possible situation" , you'd be hard pressed to achieve that goal.

The colonial powers have their troops in POLICING posture , to "bash the wogs" and maintain control over their subjects. Not to oppose invasion. Divisions are broken up into the smallest possible units , then scattered in "penny-packets" where they can easily be defeated and destroyed in detail.

And ships were scattered more to "show the flag" then consolidated into any kind of war fighting formation. But most of all, can you imagine a system where the newest , greenest pilots are forward deployed , with junk aircraft , and the best air frames are used for training squadrons? Sorry , that's a complete opposite of the military I served in. Obsolete and obsolescent aircraft ARE very useful (I never have enough when I play) BUT FOR TRAINING, not facing the best and brightest of Nippon.

These are the reasons for Sir Robin. To preserve forces to combine to come back and smite your enemy! To issue a "No retreat, no withdrawal" order will be as successful as it was for Hitler.

I like to say Sir Robin should (and will, if I'm playing) into The Vampire Chicken! (If you've ever seen a angry fighting cock in action , you'll never quite laugh at Chickens again. And if you've ever been attacked by one , you will definitely treat them with respect.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/10/2018 3:25:05 PM   
Skyros

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

(If you've ever seen a angry fighting cock in action , you'll never quite laugh at Chickens again. And if you've ever been attacked by one , you will definitely treat them with respect.

GO GAMECOCKS!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 8
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/10/2018 5:06:47 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

Actually overkill in the beginning of the game IS the Japanese game. Unless you can come up with another description of 6 CV's banded together.

I meant "don't play their game" by reacting to their moves. Make them react to yours. If you don't mass your forces together you lose. Simple.

Nothing kills like over-kill.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/10/2018 5:27:11 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

I meant "don't play their game" by reacting to their moves. Make them react to yours. If you don't mass your forces together you lose. Simple.

Nothing kills like over-kill.

AH...I see. And most sincerely agree.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 10
RE: Allies Sun Tzu - 5/10/2018 5:44:28 PM   
AW1Steve

Practice "the art of a mailed fist , which turns into empty air". This can mean many types of forces , but to me nothing should use this principal more than air groups. Airplanes are the most versatile , long ranging and among the most able pieces on the board. And they are with no doubt , the most fragile. As was once said about battle cruisers , that is "eggshells armed with sledgehammers", is true about them. Only in the early 40's would aircraft finally have the speed , range and most important , the payload to become ship killers. a 500lb bomb would not dent a battleship. A 1000ib bomb would seriously hurt one. That advance didn't occur till just before ww2. It caught a lot of experts by surprise.

But any one who has spent any time around a war plane will tell you that you don't need a cannon to make a hole in in airplane , a ice pick will do it. Soooo.... when the enemy comes looking for you , you need to be else where. Bombers must be constantly shifted. Pulled back for rest , repair , re-equipping and training. Don't do any of these things in the vicinity of your opponent if it can be avoid. Then mass them together the turn before a strike. Hit hard on the SECOND turn (after they rest) then consider being elsewhere---FAST! Unless your bombers fields sit inside a nest of fighter bases waiting to claw an enemy attack out of the sky, send your bombers elsewhere. Then start planning your next assault.

Some times having 100+ fighters show up when you expect an attack , and he expects only a few can be a really good thing. Keep moving your fighters around as well. And those PA's that are flying boats can be useful if based at a base that also has a couple of tenders *AV' AVP's or AVD's) mean that they don't put a stress on base units there , and generally don't get hit badly by airfield attacks. Being on the water , means that they are seriously dispersed. He really needs fighters strafing to really hurt them .

Nothing frustrates an opponent when he's set for the killing blow and all he hits is "empty air".

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Allies Sun Tzu Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI