Porting the People's Tactics campaign to AT Gold?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

ColRosenberger

Porting the People's Tactics campaign to AT Gold?

Post by ColRosenberger »

Hi everyone,

What got me to purchase AT Gold in the first place was playing the free People's Tactics by Vic a few years ago and loving it. Except the interface became painful after a while and I wanted to move on to its superior cousin.

However despite repeated attempts I keep bouncing off AT Gold. It simply lacks the introductory, gradual experience that People's Tactics provided, with a focus on production and a thin but satisfying narrative thread. All scenarios I've looked at are either extremely dry, lacking any context or narrative (training scenarios, even steven), dump you into a huge, complex situation (most other scenarios), or are way too hard for a beginner (any small scenario I found on the scenario bank). Random scenarios are also hard to get into for starters.

So I was wondering if an experienced modder was willing to undertake the task to port over the People's Tactics campaign to this game. It doesn't have to be an exact copy as long as the spirit is there (gradual introduction to mechanics, fictional narrative). It would be a great introductory bridge to this game and could be advertised on these and on the Steam forums.

Thanks in advance!
ernieschwitz

RE: Any experienced modder up for porting the People's Tactics campaign to AT Gold?

Post by ernieschwitz »

Sounds like an interesting proposal. I am a bit busy at the moment, but when I get the time, I think I might do it. Would give me some incentive to begin learning how to make a campaign anyway... Something I have yet to do.

Others may want to put their name in the hat too, and I think they should. The scenarios in themselves are not too complicated... :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ColRosenberger

RE: Any experienced modder up for porting the People's Tactics campaign to AT Gold?

Post by ColRosenberger »

Thanks, that would be great - keep us posted if you do start on it! Anyone else with some modding chops up for helping? I imagine scenarios can be made individually then strung together as a campaign as a final step.
ColRosenberger

Post by ColRosenberger »

Clearly this is a big undertaking that scares off people. Bumping this to resurrect the idea, as I think a campaign like this would be a great boon to all players especially new ones.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: ColRosenberger
Clearly this is a big undertaking that scares off people. Bumping this to resurrect the idea, as I think a campaign like this would be a great boon to all players especially new ones.

I am not sure that anything is scaring people off, more it is likely they just don't have the experience. Too few modders available, too many projects. I agree though that this would be a great boon for new players.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
alomoes

Post by alomoes »

Considered it by attempting a port of the WW1 campaign as a test. That map is weird.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”