Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carpet Bombing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Carpet Bombing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carpet Bombing? - 4/28/2018 7:00:10 PM   
BK6583

Playing the Allies in the D-Day campaign. I'm now in September and it dawned on me that aside from strategically bombing rail yards and of course, cities, that I've never considered this until now. Has anyone actually tried to carpet bomb a hex or hexes with German ground units? Given the nature of this game system, if so, was it effective? If so, what altitude did you use?
Post #: 1
RE: Carpet Bombing? - 4/28/2018 7:10:57 PM   
loki100

yes

15-20,000'

it can absolutely flatten the target, set it up as ground attack - unit. One of the few times you want to check the bomb load, lots of medium sized bombs seem to do best (if you are using British bombers make sure they don't have the incendiary load).

But

its morale intensive, you will have to rest them afterwards.

But it there is a difficult to take hex, this is your ultimate weapon, but it has to be concentrated on the one hex and done in force.

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: Carpet Bombing? - 4/29/2018 12:02:25 AM   
bomccarthy

I prefer to use the historical altitude: 10-12k ft (during COBRA, some of the squadrons bombed from 7k ft). If more than one unit occupies the target hex, you might try splitting the raid into two or more strikes on the same day - it seems that one strike targets one unit. Of course, both strikes may end up targeting the same unit - luck of the draw. If I am really intent on taking a hex, I may bomb on days 1 and 2, rather than just day 1.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Carpet Bombing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI