Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Buy now or wait for WitE 2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Buy now or wait for WitE 2? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/27/2018 7:55:13 PM   
Ktonos

I am eyeing this game for some while now, but it's steep price along with rumors of WitE2 coming out stopped me. I would hate to spend so much only for WitE2 come out after a couple of months.

So how close is the new game's release? Approximately of course?

Post #: 1
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/27/2018 11:42:07 PM   
mouse707

i think you can buy WITE number 1, the second opus is not close to be released

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 2
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 10:35:41 AM   
beender

Next year, if we are lucky. So no need to wait.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 3
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 11:16:42 AM   
Crackaces

Also in many respects will be a different game although they share some mechanics.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 4
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 11:59:24 AM   
Commanderski

You should be looking at getting War in the West. If you understand the mechanics of that game that will help you with WITE 2.o as some of the key features such as the air war and supply system will be very similar.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 12:06:35 PM   
Capitaine

I agree with Commanderski. War in the West will provide you with the most current rules system, even if the Eastern Front is the more popular scenario. I stopped playing WitE a year or two ago when it became clear that WitE2 was actually a thing. Unless you just "need a Russian Front game now", go with WitW.

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 6
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 12:16:06 PM   
Ktonos

I'm more font of the eastern front, but my actual priority is Pbem. Which of the two games is more pbem friendly?

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 7
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 12:19:31 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ktonos

I'm more font of the eastern front, but my actual priority is Pbem. Which of the two games is more pbem friendly?

If by PBEM you mean finding someone else you do not know in the forums to have a game - then it has to be said WitE1.0.

If you do not need to find another opponent it is a different question for PBEM.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 8
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 12:29:00 PM   
Ktonos

Yes, I mean finding someone to play.
I mean I plan to play for some days to get the basics then search for someone for pbemd. And as I get it, The larger the pbem player base the more possible to find someone who is either also new or who would want to play against someone inexperienced.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 9
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 12:51:33 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ktonos

Yes, I mean finding someone to play.
I mean I plan to play for some days to get the basics then search for someone for pbemd. And as I get it, The larger the pbem player base the more possible to find someone who is either also new or who would want to play against someone inexperienced.

WitW was never the success that WitE was. The game is certainly narrower in scope. So WitE1.0 is still more active in forums, and it looks to me still much easier to get an opponent online. WitE2.0 is a judgement as to how it will turn out. It will have wider scope, but some think using the WitW mechanics will mean fewer players. If for the next year or so then your choice has to be WitE1.0. If you are looking to practise and then play some one in more than a year then maybe WitW to prepare for WitE2.0.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 10
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/28/2018 2:06:03 PM   
Ktonos

Ok, got it, many thanks for tips.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 11
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/29/2018 5:24:35 PM   
tyronec

I would rate WITE1 as the best wargame ever. Good fun to play, greatest depth of thinking required, more different strategies to try out.
There is a good community of varied experience for finding opponents.

Personally I don't think WITW is nearly as good to play vs a human opponent.

The best way to learn WITE2 is to play it when it comes out, don't see much point in playing WITW just to learn the follow up game.

< Message edited by tyronec -- 4/29/2018 5:27:41 PM >

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 12
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/30/2018 2:14:44 AM   
AFV

For what you get, WITE is super cheap- whether you pay $20 or $80. The amount of research and effort that went into this game is extraordinary, and really, we are lucky as hell anyone ever took this beast on and made a game of it, and that it is available- at any price.
I agree with tyronec- I rate it the best wargame ever- certainly of this genre.
Clearly, its not perfect- but the forums are still active, the devs are still working on it, and its fun. Well, at least if your a hopeless nerd, and if you're reading these forums, its likely you are.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 13
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/30/2018 2:46:15 AM   
Ktonos

Never said it was expensive. I know what you are talking about.

I bought it yesterday. Already did a mildly successful Minsk mini campaign, the V. Luki tutorial and pulled my eyes out reading the manual. So, I would be open to anyone who is willing to play against a new guy. I've extended experience with heavy WW2 tabletop op games so I believe I will learn quickly.

Quick question. As I get it is generally better to attach equipment in HQs rather than divisions. Is it better in corps, armies or army groups? Generally speaking.

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 14
RE: Buy now or wait for WitE 2? - 4/30/2018 9:02:29 AM   
tyronec

Check out this thread for lots of ideas.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4317692

Combat SUs should generally be with divisions or corps, would only consider putting AA with Armies.

Stick a post in opponents wanted for a game - my suggestion would be to start with one of the scenarios if you haven't played too much. There is a lot of admin to play the campaign which is a bit of a drag unless you are reasonably balanced in skill.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Buy now or wait for WitE 2? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI