Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WEGO games, what happened to them?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WEGO games, what happened to them? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 4:52:25 AM   
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Perhaps I am blind, but are there any decent WEGO wargames out these days? I know about the Panther games, but since these are sold elsewhere, in an odd form, I haven't really bothered with any of the new games. Am I missing any others?

I still remember the old SSG games, like the Battlefront series (original), Decisive battles of the American Civil war, etc, and then enjoying the Panther games that were sold here (Conquest of the Aegean, etc) but really, there haven't been, to my knowledge, anyone else developing these games.

I love pushing counters, but I would love to play some new, decent, WEGO wargames.
Post #: 1
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 5:14:40 AM   
budd

A few forums down

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1646

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to SapperAstro_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 7:55:28 AM   
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Thanks Budd, I guess I just overlooked that, looks promising.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 3
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 8:09:27 AM   
HeinzBaby

The Best WEGO sim for me is 'Flash Point Campaigns-Red Storm' - 1980's NATO-Soviet grand tactical. A+ (unashamed plug)
There is a Forum here at Matrix.
John Tiller 'Gold' Panzer Battles, 'Panzer Campaigns' series are great - WWII - B+, but only YouGoIgo, thou the 'Opportunity fire' works great as compensation.

Heia Safari

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 4
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 8:09:36 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: SapperAstro

Perhaps I am blind, but are there any decent WEGO wargames out these days? I know about the Panther games, but since these are sold elsewhere, in an odd form, I haven't really bothered with any of the new games.

I don't know what do you mean with "odd", but I have all Command Ops 2 on Steam - the way I have Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 5
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 8:47:38 AM   
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

I always like to own my games. I still have disks from the 90s that work (with a few work arounds due to operating system changes) even though the companies are long dead. Currently finishing off a campaign of Steel Panthers 1. Not bad considering SSI is long dead. Good Old Games, now that is an online operation I can respect. No DRM, just buy, download and play. All catalogued online in case you want to download it again later, or you can save all of your games to disk.

I think companies can be quite silly. Pirates crack their system on day 1, but the paying customer gets screwed having to run through hoops. Thankfully, Matrix hasn't gone down that path, with a simple key being the only hoop to jump through.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 6
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 10:09:20 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: SapperAstro

I always like to own my games. I still have disks from the 90s that work (with a few work arounds due to operating system changes) even though the companies are long dead. Currently finishing off a campaign of Steel Panthers 1. Not bad considering SSI is long dead. Good Old Games, now that is an online operation I can respect. No DRM, just buy, download and play. All catalogued online in case you want to download it again later, or you can save all of your games to disk.

I think companies can be quite silly. Pirates crack their system on day 1, but the paying customer gets screwed having to run through hoops. Thankfully, Matrix hasn't gone down that path, with a simple key being the only hoop to jump through.

I have lots of old games on disk too. Some won't even work anymore because they won't load on newer systems. I used to keep an old rig around just for them but decided it wasn't worth the bother. Sometimes GOG or another company will present updated versions but I have no desire to pay for them again.

Steam is not going anywhere. You can download your games to your hard drive and you can play them without an internet connection if the game itself does not require it. Considering the huge market share Steam has you are most likely not playing a lot of new games. The hoops I run through on Steam are buy the game, install the game, play the game. It's a great platform and is designed for gamers.

Wiki:
The Steam platform is the largest digital distribution platform for PC gaming, estimated in 2013 to have 75% of the market space.[4] By 2017, users purchasing titles through Steam totaled roughly $4.3 billion, representing at least 18% of global PC game sales.[5] By early 2018, the service had over 150 million registered accounts with a peak of 18.5 million concurrent users online. The success of the Steam platform has led to the development of a line of Steam Machine microconsoles, as well as the SteamOS operating system.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

When I grow up I would either like to manage a supermarket or be Vice President of the United States. Of course, I know it takes brains to manage a supermarket.

Post #: 7
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 10:43:36 AM   
MrsWargamer

WEGO as a design isn't to hard to find, but, the designs using it are not always what the gamer seeks.

Combat Mission is WEGO. But it is fully 3d.
Combat Command is WEGO. It's a bit older, but age hasn't prevented Steel Panthers from being great, so Combat Command might interest you just as easily.
If you can get V4Victory running through DOS Box they were good designs.

Desert War will have an advantage as it is new software.

If I could snap my fingers and make it so, ALL computer wargames would use WEGO in distint turn increments. WEGO is the only computer design element I've ever witnessed that lacks 'gamey' elements. It requires the gamer to actually have a plan, and to actually run with that plan. Because once you hit end turn, there's no option to pause and change your mind. No option to constantly alter decisions with feverish mouseclicking. The turn will resolve and you will have to just wait and see the results. We hardly seem to be making any real use out of the mechanical muscle of computers in our wargames.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 11:47:27 AM   
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Lobster: I use various methods with my older games; Dosbox, Emulators for C64/Amiga (I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with full C64 and Amiga systems operating on them, with all of my games ready to roll at a moments notice, and many I never had back in the day), Virtual Machine with win98, and as my main PC is dual boot win10 and Ubuntu, WINE in Linux for some of the other stubborn stuff. Took me ages to set all these up, but now that they run, nothing is out of reach from any era.

MrsWargamer; I have always been partial to WEGO, for many of the same reasons as yourself, ever since playing the old SSG games on the C64, though it seems not a great deal has been done with it apart from odd cases here and there. SSG never built on the system after the Battlefront system was put to bed, Command Ops has slowed to a crawl with engine increments over actual scenario/campaign packs (they have'nt even gotten to the Crete scenarios from CotA!)..and, nothing much else. I think I will purchase this new North Africa game, as it looks quite promising.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 9
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 1:42:51 PM   
altipueri

The Ageod games are WEGO - Wars of Succession being the latest and two versions of a Civil War game.

I don't really think of the Panther games as WEGO - more pausable real time - to that extent a bit like Paradox games.

I still like the WEGO of Combat Mission - and I prefer the older earlier games to the later - especially as I found I can run them on Windows 8.1 and 10.

Campaigns on the Danube is old but is a WEGO that had an update about a year ago.

Post #: 10
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/25/2018 4:32:51 PM   
Kuokkanen

One WEGO game under work is Armored Brigade. It is RTS by default, but can be played WEGO too. Single player only. Slitherine is publisher. Should be ready soon...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 11
RE: WEGO games, what happened to them? - 4/26/2018 12:28:15 AM   
TheGrayMouser

HPS Ancient Battles series
Galley battles( new and here at matrix)
Dominions I thru V

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WEGO games, what happened to them? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI